Play Nice Franklin contract talks on hold

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This from the article:

Evans admitted Franklin's decision had rocked the club and already there were fears the constant talk about Franklin's future would become a major distraction, as it did at Collingwood with Cloke.
"It is not an ideal situation because we'd prefer to close off the distraction for Buddy, for the club, for supporters, for Pickers, and have a free run at our 2013 campaign,"

I hate free Agency, i really really do!!

Excitement machine Yes
Consistent No
The be all and end all of the club No

It really wouldn't bother me if he was to leave we have covered him before and played well.
The AFL compo would, it may be fairer if there was no compo for anyone.

Am I still filthy about the Grand Final Yes

Disappointing, but inevitable. Franklin commands more than almost anybody on the market. It's understandable that he's willing to look around before he buys as he has that power.

The last scraps of loyalty this sport is desperately clinging on to are on the way out with the introduction of free agency and such. We'll be the same as most other popular international sports soon. We should all just adjust accordingly and move on.

Excitement machine Yes
Consistent No
The be all and end all of the club No

It really wouldn't bother me if he was to leave we have covered him before and played well.
The AFL compo would, it may be fairer if there was no compo for anyone.

Am I still filthy about the Grand Final Yes

i think u are wrong wrong wrong mr gary conan ayres...but everyone is entitled to their opinion

Wow, going to be an exciting year but very harrowing for hawks people. Wonder if my guys will have a crack at him...

Losing Ablett won Geelong a premiership.

Hard to comprehend a silver lining at the time but it was the best thing that happened.

Paying huge money for a money hungry pig whilst other top tier players take pay cuts causes nothing but division among the playing group and you cannot win flags with that. If he really is chasing the dollars then you're better off without him imo. Paying him overs (if that's possible) means other good players will inventively be squeezed out. Geelong almost certainly would have lost a gun player or two if Ablett stayed and as it turned out despite being arguably the best in the comp, we really didn't miss him. Others stood up, or maybe just jumped out of the shadows.

Losing Ablett won Geelong a premiership.

Hard to comprehend a silver lining at the time but it was the best thing that happened.

Paying huge money for a money hungry pig whilst other top tier players take pay cuts causes nothing but division among the playing group and you cannot win flags with that. If he really is chasing the dollars then you're better off without him imo. Paying him overs (if that's possible) means other good players will inventively be squeezed out. Geelong almost certainly would have lost a gun player or two if Ablett stayed and as it turned out despite being arguably the best in the comp, we really didn't miss him. Others stood up, or maybe just jumped out of the shadows.

You make an excellent point. Still sucks losing one of your favourite players though. :(

I really should note that I AM aware that Buddy isn't gone yet, but the club's reaction hasn't given me much hope. Hoping this is just Pickers trying to squeeze more money out of us.

Plus, we'd be garrunteed at least 3 first rounders (including pick 1), and the free space would allow us secure some kids (such as breust) or bring in a solid midfielder

The best we can get is one 1st round pick after our first pick, eg pick 17-20 odd.

He'll resign with the hawks. You're one of the best run clubs in the league with a list built for a premiership.

This seriously crushes all my excitement for the upcoming season for a few reasons:

- The chance that Buddy could leave. By the sounds of it, either Buddy has told them he is going, but they are keeping it hushed for obvious reasons, or this genuinely shocked Hawthorn. I don't know which is worse. If Buddy is already gone, at least the club will know, and this hopefully won't be a distraction. Otherwise i can see this causing distractions ala Cloke, although it obviously means there is a chance he will stay.

- Makes me wonder why he is delaying it. By the sounds of it, he is as Hawthorn as you can get. He loves Melbourne, and all his family is here. Unless he is planning to go to another Melbourne club, then i really couldn't see him going anywhere else. Which makes me worry so much more about this. Is he really as Hawthorn as we believe? Or is this purely just a money thing, which again, Buddy has always been seen to be the kind of guy who takes a pay cut to keep the group together. Is he waiting to see how we go this year, as if that will impact his decision? In which case, is he considering leaving?

- The media over this will be horrendous. It was bad enough with Cloke, Ablett, and Scully, but Buddy is a bigger name than all three. I honestly worry about how it will effect the playing group. Both Geelong and Collingwood had poor years when their stars were potentially leaving. If Hawthorn are a mentally weak team as everyone keeps saying (not saying we are), then this could destroy us.

- Lastly, the thought of him playing against us makes me want to cry. I'm not even sure i could boo him! Seriously, the thought of seeing Cyril and Roughy, and the guys out there without him just kills me.

It just makes me dread this season. I don't even want to think about how shit footy will be if Buddy leaves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't post very often. I am posting this not to create more uncertainty but more to request some clarity from the Hawthorn insiders connected to Big Footy. I'm sure you guys know who you are.

I received a message today from a mate of mine connected with a Melbourne Football Club. He is a friend of Neville Stibbard, who is supposedly best friends with Liam Pickering. This was received well before the article in the HS came out.

Buddy has apparently told the Hawks he wants out at the end of the year, either to the Eagles or God forbid the Pies, supposedly Eddie has massive plans for him.

I queried him and asked him several questions as to why? How? etc

After arguing with him for 20 mins, we were getting no where, he signed off with, 'don't forget I told you first'.

Actually feel sorry for you guys (for once)... it's just a sh1t thing to just keep going on and on all season. 2010 was such a pain in the arse even as a fan let alone for the players. (they always say it doesn't affect them but... it seems to)

I second this.

There isn't anything you can do except just wait and see. When Judd left Kerr had come out and said he was going to stay but said after that he knew he would leave but had to stick to the script. It's that bad, nothing can be taken seriously untill he signs (at which ever club that may be).

I hope his form keeps up so it doesn't compile in the manner of Cloke, that was just bad for everyone. Good luck with it guys, it's unfortunate that this happens.

Really, really disappointing but not surprising - when money comes calling what can you do but store up for the future. Players must be shocked and while I appreciate he is entitled to chase the best offer its going to come at a cost to the rest of the team with the constant microscopic crap that geelong suffered through with ablett. Tbh I can imagine clarko will be as patient as bomber was

He's too big for any city except Melb. so Freo and the likes are out.

Hawks have looked after him & his family big time.

His best mates play at Hawthorn (not at WCE as some would have you believe.Wellingham is not his best mate)

Media and opposition fans want us to go into meltdown over this, they want our year ruined as they know we are the biggest threat to any club.

As Echols said, dont get sucked in

adidas sponsorship/3rd party deals/salary cap/mark evans constantly lies
the club isnt floored by this, as Evans says

He and his manager are probably just going to have a giggle for the season get a few offers prick his ego and then sign on at the Hawks for a very healthy wage. I think it's crap with the circus it creates and angst it causes clubs and supporters. Will be sick of it by round 3.

Losing Ablett won Geelong a premiership. Geelong almost certainly would have lost a gun player or two if Ablett stayed and as it turned out despite being arguably the best in the comp, we really didn't miss him.

Disagree. He was the equal of any other one player we might have lost. But won't drift off topic... apart from probably a dozen games I can think of the past two seasons when we're down halfway through the third quarter and I think... damn... could really use Gazza about now for that spark that we just don't have like we used to.

Pretty much lost me there. Pies who barely wedged Cloke in and picked up how many players last season?
I asked him the same question. This was his reply.

Jolly Maxwell O'Brien Didak retiring, there's a $1,000,000 there.

I'm just as upset as everyone else mate. I'm not making this up for nothing.

Meh, he's worth more than he's earning, considering what other stars are making elsewhere, and the offers he's had.

He isn't going anywhere.

The only teams that could honestly afford him are GWS and the Suns. Does anyone seriously believe he'd be willing?

Buddy deserves more faith from Hawthorn supporters. If he was interested in leaving for money he'd be gone already.

He values being a champion for the Hawks very highly.

The media will be all over this, build it up, because Buddy sells.

As for around the site, it's just going to provide us with good thread bumping material. I can't wait to rub it into everybody when he re-signs.

Lets hope it doesn't linger for too long, as it is a distraction. But neither side wants that.

That sucks for you guys, I know how you feel having to listen to this all season now, hearing about how one day he's staying put, the next day he's already signed, another day he's undecided but homesick, by round 14 he's favouring Freo over WC, and then a week after your season ends he says he wants to go to Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back