New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
UK (University of Kentucky)
Frank rejection of Roos
29 September 2005 Herald Sun
James Bresnehan

FRANKSTON has rejected an alliance with the Kangaroos next season and yesterday warned the Tasmanian Devils they should do the same.

The Kangaroos have been courting the three non-aligned VFL clubs to establish a place for their players when they are not needed in the AFL next season.

Frankston yesterday sent the Kangaroos a letter declining the offer of an alignment, leaving Tasmania and North Ballarat as the only two possibilities.

But Frankston football operations manager Bryan Mace said Tasmania was strong enough to go it alone.

North Ballarat football operations manager Tim Baker said his club was wary of why the Kangaroos' alliance with Port Melbourne broke down mid-season.

Mace, who has 40 years' VFA and VFL experience with Frankston, said the Kangaroos offer was declined because:

FRANKSTON was not financially destitute, as many clubs were when they took on alliances five years ago to survive.

AFL players rarely trained with their adopted clubs, played on game day and then left, making it difficult to develop strong bonds with their new teammates.

AFL coaches dictated to aligned clubs where drafted players should be used, whether or not the local player was better in that role.

THE $140,000 AFL grant to the non-aligned VFL clubs would be slashed under an alignment.

North Ballarat will decide over the next few weeks whether or not to take on the Kangaroos.

AFL Tasmania general manager Scott Wade said the Devils would not accept a full alliance.

But they would consider a partial link in which Kangaroos players were farmed out to two clubs.

I think Frankston are worried that North Ballarat and Tassie will be alot stronger than them with 5-6 Roos players in there team.

Kato said:
FRANKSTON has rejected an alliance with the Kangaroos next season and yesterday warned the Tasmanian Devils they should do the same.

But Frankston football operations manager Bryan Mace said Tasmania was strong enough to go it alone.

FRANKSTON was not financially destitute, as many clubs were when they took on alliances five years ago to survive.

lol

These clubs are not strong enough as it is.

Tasmania ended up with 10 wins (6th), Frankston 8 wins (7th) and North Ballarat 7 wins (10th).

None of those three teams will ever win a VFL flag while the remaining teams have 10 AFL grade players come finals. Port will join that list.

Port is unlucky most of our players outside of our top 25 are development players so they didn't get a whole lot out of our time with them. In 2 odd years the calibre of player we have available for VFL level would be leagues ahead of the amateur grade players, despite the advantages they have training together.

I hope they all reject the offer and we host our own side, we just need to market the idea better in the murray region, get some local grade players and fund the cost of the licence and operating expenses through promotion in the region.

It is far more desirable to be in charge of our development and it is good to give an assitant coach the ability to coach at VFL level. Where we end up in the VFL is irrelevant, results are not important to us, it is the development of players that is.

We can stick guys in the side we only plan to play for a quarter or two, can't do that in the current arrangement.

Those reasons are a smoke-screen. Real reasons why Frankston rejected the Kangaroos alliance :

1. Not enough Kangaroos players have mullets.
2. Can't have the Kangaroos players parking their nice new cars in the carpark making the rest of the Chargers and Toranas look crappy.
3. The Frankston players are worried they won't be able to pick up at the 21st Century if they have a few Kangas providing the competition.
4. Davo, Thommo and Deano might not make the team, and they're good maaaaaaaaates.

Nevbuster said:
Those reasons are a smoke-screen. Real reasons why Frankston rejected the Kangaroos alliance :

1. Not enough Kangaroos players have mullets.
2. Can't have the Kangaroos players parking their nice new cars in the carpark making the rest of the Chargers and Toranas look crappy.
3. The Frankston players are worried they won't be able to pick up at the 21st Century if they have a few Kangas providing the competition.
4. Davo, Thommo and Deano might not make the team, and they're good maaaaaaaaates.
5. No North players smoke "Winnie Blues".
6. There aren't enough Flannies and Ugg Boots to go around.

Kato said:
FRANKSTON has rejected an alliance with the Kangaroos next season

Um, so they make a song and dance about it AFTER we air plans to link up with North Ballarat and Tasmania?

It's almost as if they're acting like jilted lovers.

Kato said:
and yesterday warned the Tasmanian Devils they should do the same.

As spurs and Tas have specuated, maybe Frankston feel that a Tasmania or North Ballarat with the addition of a few AFL listed players will further push them down the ladder.

Shinboners said:
Um, so they make a song and dance about it AFTER we air plans to link up with North Ballarat and Tasmania?

It's almost as if they're acting like jilted lovers.

As spurs and Tas have specuated, maybe Frankston feel that a Tasmania or North Ballarat with the addition of a few AFL listed players will further push them down the ladder.
Why not with the 2nd Tassie team they're thinking about bringing in?

Be with them from the start

I've got an idea, if the AFL gives $140,000 to unaligned clubs maybe there is a way we could get that money as a go alone side

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kato said:

Does that mean I won't be needing these then?

sheepskin%20moccassins%20A3M.jpg

Sounds to me like a group of sooks wondering why a club wouldn't jump a chance to help out North Melbourne after they have failed at 2 previous projects.

The answer is simple.

Frankston don't need North. It's as simple as that.

Get over it.

... and hope like hell Tassie &/or North Ballarat bail you out.

Dolphin said:
Sounds to me like a group of sooks wondering why a club wouldn't jump a chance to help out North Melbourne after they have failed at 2 previous projects.

The answer is simple.

Get over it.

... and hope like hell Tassie &/or North Ballarat bail you out.

We have always had an image problem at Arden Street

Aligning with Frankston could actually make that worse.

Dolphin said:

Gee I keep getting images of fish and barrels when you open your gob!

Where exactly have the Murray Kangaroos and the North aligned Port Melbourne finished in comparison with Frankston over the last 5 years?

Both "projects" have been considerably more successful I believe.

Groucho said:
Gee I keep getting images of fish and barrels when you open your gob!

Where exactly have the Murray Kangaroos and the North aligned Port Melbourne finished in comparison with Frankston over the last 5 years?

Both "projects" have been considerably more successful I believe.
They must have failed - THEY NO LONGER EXIST!

Dolphin said:

No. If Frankston didn't need better players they would have won the flag, or come somewhere close to it.

What Frankston is telling their supporters is that they do not want to win. That is understandable, to win you have to make the hard decisions, the sacrifices. It is how we got out of the VFA/VFL and into the VFL/AFL.

Second rate is not good enough for this club. We may fumble and make mistakes in our mission to become the best but we nonetheless stop at nothing to achieve that.

Frankston has the typical mindset of an amateur organisation. Fear.

Fear of loss of power, control, fear their little world as they know it will change.

I understand that, fear is probably the strongest motivating factor in human life, especially fear of change.

I am honestly thankful to the club down there for being open and honest and not wasting our time going into a relationship that was not sustainable.

We care for the VFL as much as we care for the scraps we throw in our bins at night, it is not a league that interests us, it is just a place to develop kids only because the AFL abolished the reserve grade competition and the under 19 comp.

I understand Frankston is more passionate about this league and I wish them all the best. But mark my words, you will NEVER win a flag when you have to compete against sides fielding 10 AFL players. I admire the club wanting to go it alone, but I wouldn't be holding out for any success.

As I expected, you have naively missed the point.

My statement was that Frankston don't need North. Simple.

I agree that Frankston need to pick up some aditional player. They don't need North was the statement.

The decision has nothing to do with fear. That's just a simplistic, misguided line that you might hope catches. Bad luck! It won't.

and as for comments about the VFL and the scraps in the bin - thats probably one of the reasons Frankston were not interested.

Why would you enetr a relationship with any party that has that type of view.

...........and by the way, I accept your thanks and good wishes.

I've just about had enough of those "proud" VFL supporters saying they don't need North, be they from Port Melbourne, Frankston or any other sh1thouse outfit.

They can stand alone and enjoy their pride and joy fight for the 8th spot in the 13 team comp and enjoy cold pies with warm beer while their team sluggs it out in the mud against some other shyte VFL team.

We are an AFL club for God's sake. Let's remember that. We are in a different league. The club will work the reserves issue out one way or another, but we shouldn't even go down to the level of arguing with Frankston supporters. (sounds funny, doesn't it? - Frankston supporters, not Hampton Park or Cranbourne, but Frankston...)

Dolphin said:
As I expected, you have naively missed the point.

My statement was that Frankston don't need North. Simple.

I agree that Frankston need to pick up some aditional player. They don't need North was the statement.

Nobody 'needs' anyone. Frankston will still be around with or without the relationship as will North.

I think you know as well as we do that you wont acquire AFL calibre players as a standalone VFL club, but that is irrelevant, Frankston are happy to go down the path they are quite familiar with. It is no issue for us or for you.

The decision has nothing to do with fear. That's just a simplistic, misguided line that you might hope catches. Bad luck! It won't.

It is out of fear, it is a fear of losing control, fear of losing identity. They admitted they were didn't want us telling them where to play players. I think warning other clubs just highlights how afraid they are, not only are they worried of losing control of their own club they are afraid that their inaction will similarly hinder them if our players go to several clubs and they are advising other clubs they are strong enough without our help.

I admire fear mixed in with a bit of arrogance. Tasmania not capable of making their own minds up or do they need Frankston's wisdom aswell? ;)

and as for comments about the VFL and the scraps in the bin - thats probably one of the reasons Frankston were not interested.

It is the same way VFL feels about suburban leagues around them. You use them like your toilet as much as the AFL uses the VFL. It is the cycle of life, you have predators and then you have prey.

I am sorry if my opinion offends. But if some two bit suburban league told Frankston to sod off you would care about as much as we do about Frankston telling us the same thing.

Why would you enetr a relationship with any party that has that type of view.

Meh, I am sure the club is a lot more politically correct than me. Everyone feels the same, some just do not have the balls to say it. VFL is B grade, is it wrong to admit that? We do not care about the B Grade league, should we? I didn't care for it when the team I played for was in the VFA/L and I don't care for it now. It is a fantastic amateur grade league but it has been converted into the training ground for the AFL.

...........and by the way, I accept your thanks and good wishes.

I am glad because it was sincere, I wish all the best for the Dolphins. I hope you prove me wrong and win the 06 flag, not that it would mean anything but it would be good for the club.

Theseventhhamster said:
North supporters looking down on Frankston what a bunch of ********ing phonies. you are a disgrace to your club.

VFL is a B-Grade league, we wouldn't even be associated with it if the AFL didn't abolish the reserve grade competition, somehow it gave us an unfair advantage whereas the current circus doesn't.

It is a mockery that AFL clubs are foced to send AFL grade players into VFL reserves.

It is nothing to do with Frankston or any other VFL club, it is just not being interested in an amateur leage or having to put up with amateur organisations when we are just interested in developing our young players.

It is annoyance and frustration of having to be in this league at all. I've played at that level before, there is nothing wrong with it, but it is it would be akin to Frankston being forced to associate with suburban leagues more than they have any wish or desire to.

We do not want to dominate VFL clubs with our plans of global domination, we just want to get our kids developed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Frankston rejection of Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back