Frankston rejection of Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Tas said:
It is out of fear, it is a fear of losing control, fear of losing identity. They admitted they were didn't want us telling them where to play players. I think warning other clubs just highlights how afraid they are, not only are they worried of losing control of their own club they are afraid that their inaction will similarly hinder them if our players go to several clubs and they are advising other clubs they are strong enough without our help.

I admire fear mixed in with a bit of arrogance. Tasmania not capable of making their own minds up or do they need Frankston's wisdom aswell? ;)
You make a number of good points, but I don't agree that it is an issue of fear.

It is simply a situation where a club wants to control its own world, just as anybody should. Its not a fear of losing it, its simply that the club doesn't want to. It doesn't need to, so it shouldn't. Its that simple. I understand your point, but its not fear.

As for the Tasmania issue, I actually understand where the article in the paper came from.

There was a question asked of the club by a Hobart paper as to what Frankston thought Tasmania should do.

That is the context of the original statements.

Its just that the same article was picked up by the sister paper in Melbourne, and it ran from their.

Frankston were not spouting about what any club should do, it was just answering a question about Tassie.

I actually hope North do succeed as an AFL side, and I have a bunch of thoughts on what they should do with the reserves structure, but I won't bother you with that.

Thanks for the vibrant discussion.

This has been a most enjoyable read!

I dont think North are keen on splitting their list up, like the Doggies did with Williamstown and Werribee...

I think talking to Tassie is mostly posturing on the Roos part, flying your players interstate raises all sorts of problems.

I will be genuinely surprised if North Ballarat goes along with a full-blown alignment, as they are a proud club, and have been working hard to address shortcoming with their own list in recent years. They would seriously consider having half a dozen players, but I can't see them going for more than that.

I will say this.

People under estimate the value of a VFL team in your ranks. You only have to look at the Bendigo, Geelong and Box Hill partnership. (Im sure there are others but I dont live in Victoria so I wouldnt know)

It not only gives your kids a chance to shine, but it also gets the clubs in the local community not to mention gives the club an extra training ground.

North need to access there options. They need to go where they have a tradition of drawing talent and where there members and supporters are located so that they can get closer with the North Melbourne community. Also it will give them in some cases a much larger ground to train on.

My North said:
Lets have our own VFL team, brink back the Murray Kangaroos and play out of Coburg again

Can North Melbourne afford it? If Port had to pay part of the Roos license fee last season ($30K of $50K I think), then unless you have had a massive financial turnaround, running your own club seems to be out of the question.

You had better hope North Ballarat go for a full alignment, otherwise you are going to be making a hasty decision for the 2006 season.

We need to get with someone who wants to join the VFL and not worry about these clubs with a 'proud' history problem.

There is talk of a 2nd tassies side, but i am sure there are other strong clubs in Melbourne who would be willing to take the next step.

I'm glad Franga rejected the idea. I'd hate to have our jumper sponsored by:

imageQE1.JPG

Sexiano Ronaldo said:
Thats the whole point.

ITS NOT YOUR JUMPER !!!!!!!

I have never read such a bunch of carp.

"...I hope Frankston go under after all of this....." was probably the best.

After all of what. Listening to North's proposal and then promptly and respectfully declining within a week so that they could get on with their other options??

Gee, thats was pretty harsh by the Frankston boys.

Maybe if Frankston had gone to North, and then led them on for a couple of months and then left them in the lurch, then you could be anoyed.

But for heaven's sake all they said was no thanks. Move on.

Yeah, I dont like the ill-will towards Frankston and talks of going under, that is not cool. They made their decision and I wish them the best.

I don't think it is in their best interest but do not really care if they want us or not, if some other club(s) is not interested then we will just have to do our own thing.

I wish Port all the best aswell.

Having sides go under no matter what league is bad for football.

Dolphin said:
Thats the whole point.

After all of what. Listening to North's proposal and then promptly and respectfully declining within a week so that they could get on with their other options??

Maybe if Frankston had gone to North, and then led them on for a couple of months and then left them in the lurch, then you could be anoyed.

Hate to say it But Dolphin has a point.

We asked - they said no.

No reason to get all upset about it and good luck to them if they think they can stand alone. Would certainly make any premierships they win all the sweeter

Whatever the reason, we've got ourselves into this mess and it's up to us to get ourselves out of it if we can. Surely we can do it without slagging off at established footy clubs who quite rightly think they can go it alone, and their loyal supporters.

Some of us went from loving Port to hating Port almost overnight when Port wouldn't dance to our tune. I don't know the ins and outs of the dispute but I do know that we were joining Port, Port weren't joining us. We were wearing their jumper, playing under their name, singing their song etc etc. Surely it was up us to agree the groundrules upfront and do everything to make it work.

Now we seem to be the ones scouring the singles bars looking for the unattached partner, male, female, whoever's available. It's about time we found a good woman and settled down with her.

In the meantime let's not slag off at our old girlfriends, it only demeans us.

Dolphin said:
Thats the whole point.

It was a pretty p1ss poor effort on my behalf, but it still roped you in.

Cheers.

Ausgard said:
Would certainly make any premierships they win all the sweeter
That's just it - they will not be winning any Premierships anytime soon unless they allign with someone. Frankston has been a rubbish side since the VFL and the reserves merged, but before then they were very successful. No coincidence there.

I'm glad they said no, what an ordinary excuse for a suburb/club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

year of the roo said:
That's just it - they will not be winning any Premierships anytime soon unless they allign with someone. Frankston has been a rubbish side since the VFL and the reserves merged, but before then they were very successful. No coincidence there.

I'm glad they said no, what an ordinary excuse for a suburb/club.

But if they'd said yes we'd be all over them and we'd be saying that it's the merging of two great and proud clubs and blah blah blah.

What the....
Suddenly this threads turned into one big love-in.

I now think the Roos options might become more radical.

Aligning with a metropolitan club, and fielding a side in the VFL is the most likely option. I don't think North Ballarat will accept an alignment, as their policy is devlopment of their own players. They might go for a half-dozen players, but will North Melbourne fly players to Tasmania (and staff) ? It will cost a bundle and at best would probably only last a year or so.

Is going to Canberra still a viable option? I still think Sunbury Kangaroos is a roughy.

onslaught said:
What the....
Suddenly this threads turned into one big love-in.

I now think the Roos options might become more radical.

Aligning with a metropolitan club, and fielding a side in the VFL is the most likely option. I don't think North Ballarat will accept an alignment, as their policy is devlopment of their own players. They might go for a half-dozen players, but will North Melbourne fly players to Tasmania (and staff) ? It will cost a bundle and at best would probably only last a year or so.

Is going to Canberra still a viable option? I still think Sunbury Kangaroos is a roughy.

I don't think it will be good to split players between several clubs. We stopped the Murray Kangaroos primarily because at the time we were forced to cut any and everything we could, I do not think the same scenario applies. I think financially we are doing better, better crowds, higher membership, etc.

As much as our rookie program is essential for our on-field growth and was started up again last year I also believe it is also as important to have greater control over our player development.

Lets face reality, all the clubs that are open to having a close relationship with AFL clubs already have a relationship going and a lot of those clubs go out of their way to work with the AFL clubs, etc.

The ones that are left have a different attitude and outlook, nothing wrong with that BUT it is not what we need. I don't see how getting into another problematic relationship would be any better than the previous arrangement.

Sexiano Ronaldo said:

imageQE1.JPG

Har har ********ing har. Great laugh, isn't it. (cue rolling eyes smiley)

Has anyone who bags Frankston ad nauseam actually BEEN there? It's not as bad as you clowns make it out to be. I've grown up there, and it's fine to me. Yes, there seems to be an unusually large bogan population, but you just ignore them and move on. Even then, it's still only a smallish proportion of the Frankston area. The council are working hard to sweep them under the carpet so to speak, and improve the area's reputation. Kudos to them for that. It's like anywhere else: You have the upper class and the lower class, for the most part the upper class ignore the riff-raff, it's just that the lower class are slightly worse than other places.

year of the roo said:
Frankston have never been a successful club. They have never won a VFL Division 1 premiership. They would have struggled most years even if the reserves had never been added to the competition.

richmond_gunner said:
Has anyone who bags Frankston ad nauseam actually BEEN there? It's not as bad as you clowns make it out to be. I've grown up there, and it's fine to me.
I went to school in the area, my brother lives near Frankston and I have friends from Frankston (though have since moved).

Frankston deserves the reputation of being a bogan capital of Australia. To be fair many areas of outer suburbia are like that... at least it's not as bad as Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Frankston rejection of Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back