Free-to-air TV may get first dibs on sport

Remove this Banner Ad

So the only additional place for footy would be on ONE or the other channels HD channels but they probably wouldn't show something on HD against their normal channel.

Don't get confused with HD and digital. GO!99 is a digital channel but Nine still have their HD channel which simulcasts their main channel which they could show still use for live sport i.e. Wimbledon actually being shown live.

Seven may indeed get a lifestyle channel, but would still have the space depending on what they do to show AFL live on a digital channel.

Also the government will let each network have extra digital channels in the near future meaning they could have three each (The commercial stations).

I'd prefer for them to change the legislation so that I wasn't forced to pay Telstra and NEWS corp for the privilege of watching sport.

you are going to have to pay someone. Either through advertising / delayed telecasts / other rubbish.

I'd prefer to pay some actual $$$ and watch games live and listen to the commentary between goals / watch replays of the goal and not miss any of the game .

At least give those of us who want to pay for a premium service the option.

I don't object to paying for the footy. It's paying for the shopping channel, the lifestyle channel.... that I object to.

If they put out a package, which allowed me to choose which channels I received - $20 for the first 5 channels, then $3 for each channel after that - I'd sign up in a flash. The only freebie I'd be expecting would be the installation - but only because it comes standard with every other package they've ever offered.

lol, you'd bankrupt foxtel in 3 months.

Seriously, are you for real? Or is this a pisstake?

you are going to have to pay someone. Either through advertising / delayed telecasts / other rubbish.

I'd prefer to pay some actual $$$ and watch games live and listen to the commentary between goals / watch replays of the goal and not miss any of the game .

At least give those of us who want to pay for a premium service the option.

You have to realise that the situation is going to be very different once the FTAs can show major sports on their alternative stations.

Fox would be massively delaying and truncating their sports coverage if they only had the 1 station to broadcast it on.

If foxtel is willing to pay more than any of the FTA channels and the AFL is willing to sell to them, why should they be prevented from acquiring the rights to the footy or any other sporting event?

Because it would mean that the majority of people would not be allowed to watch footy any more.
Yes because they would be forbidden from either going to the football or possibly even getting foxtel installed.

More importantly why is that the concern of the government? If the AFL wants to limit it’s potential market why should the goverment prevent them from doing so?

Yes because they would be forbidden from either going to the football or possibly even getting foxtel installed.

More importantly why is that the concern of the government? If the AFL wants to limit it’s potential market why should the goverment prevent them from doing so?

Why should people suddenly be forced to pay for what they now get for free? You might enjoy the idea of giving your money to Uncle Rupert for no reason but I don't.

It is the government's job to protect the public from mega rich companies coming in buying all the sporting rights and then forcing everyone to pay.

Why should people suddenly be forced to pay for what they now get for free? You might enjoy the idea of giving your money to Uncle Rupert for no reason but I don't.
Nobody is being forced to pay for anything.
You can either pay or not watch. Why should it be treated any different from any other goods or service?

It is the government's job to protect the public from mega rich companies coming in buying all the sporting rights and then forcing everyone to pay.
Why do you think you have some intrinsic right to watch sport for free?
Do you think you should be able to attend every game for nothing because at some time in past sporting grounds weren't fenced of and you could get in for free?

Nobody is being forced to pay for anything.
You can either pay or not watch. Why should it be treated any different from any other goods or service?

Why do you think you have some intrinsic right to watch sport for free?
Do you think you should be able to attend every game for nothing because at some time in past sporting grounds weren't fenced of and you could get in for free?

I’m having trouble taking you seriously.

There is currently a model that provides it for free.

Why stop at TV? Let’s charge you money for every radio station you listen to and every web page you visit. An oxygen fee might be in order too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m having trouble taking you seriously.

There is currently a model that provides it for free.

Why stop at TV? Let’s charge you money for every radio station you listen to and every web page you visit. An oxygen fee might be in order too.
I can currently read Terry Sweetman on news.com.au for free.

If he were to go and write for the Financial Review, I wouldn't be able to - I'd have to buy a subscription.

Do you think the government should step in in that situation?

lol, you'd bankrupt foxtel in 3 months.

Seriously, are you for real? Or is this a pisstake?
Really? Take a look at the Austar pricing model:
Their sports package is all I'd require for the AFL coverage. It costs $14.95 per month. I'd also take the History option, at $2.95 per month.

Unfortunately, I also have to have their "starter" package, which costs $39.95 per month. Other than the FTA re-broadcasts (which I can get for free without access to Austar), the only channel of interest to me is the Discovery channel. That's one channel out of 35. Surely the Discovery channel alone shouldn't cost more than $3.00? I'd also be prepared to pay for the Sci Fi channel, but I could easily live without it.

So, using their own prices, my suggestion of $20 for 5, then $3 per channel doesn't seem so bad!

Well, the one main thing needs to be estbalished is that secondary channels should be able to show the sport on the anti-siphoning list, it's a joke the way it is now. If the tennis is going on at it hits 6, we shouldn't be forced to watch the news on 7 digital & 7HD, have the ability to have news on the main channel and the tennis on the secondary. That'll improve coverage overall but then again we would be depending on the FTA to step up to the plate as well, and they are doing that so well digital wise at the moment.... (ONE HD excluded)

I can currently read Terry Sweetman on news.com.au for free.

If he were to go and write for the Financial Review, I wouldn't be able to - I'd have to buy a subscription.

Do you think the government should step in in that situation?
I'm going to start charging everyone who wants to go to to the beach. You happy to start paying me?

I'm going to start charging everyone who wants to go to to the beach. You happy to start paying me?
of course i won't pay you, but at least i know what the price is and know it's accessible at that price.

unlike live friday night football, which is not available anywhere no matter how much money i have.

Do you own the beach? Do you own the rights to the beach?

One of the weaker analogies I've read

Oh yeah, I'm a multi billionaire, I did a deal with the government.

I'm packaging the beach package with subscriptions to the ballet the opera and membership of your local lawn bowls club. It's $400 a month but you get all 4 packages for that, sounds good to me.

Of course I might change my pricing structure whenever I feel like it. Might add a few more packages to your 'deal'.

Oh yeah, I'm a multi billionaire, I did a deal with the government.

I'm packaging the beach package with subscriptions to the ballet the opera and membership of your local lawn bowls club. It's $400 a month but you get all 4 packages for that, sounds good to me.

Of course I might change my pricing structure whenever I feel like it. Might add a few more packages to your 'deal'.
You've lost it.

The beach is public land. You can't charge for it because you don't own it.

The AFL is a business that sells its TV product to TV companies of which Foxtel is one .

Completely analogous :rolleyes:

You've lost it.

The beach is public land. You can't charge for it because you don't own it.

The AFL is a business that sells its TV product to TV companies of which Foxtel is one .

Completely analogous :rolleyes:

I'm telling you I bought the rights to it from the government. They couldn’t handle paying for all the lifesaving and maintenance so they privatised it.

The beach is now a business. And I used my money to drive out all other competitors from that business. The government didn’t think it was necessary to legislate to protect the public from this situation.

Don’t worry you will get used to the new system.

I'm telling you I bought the rights to it from the government. They couldn’t handle paying for all the lifesaving and maintenance so they privatised it.

The beach is now a business. And I used my money to drive out all other competitors from that business. The government didn’t think it was necessary to legislate to protect the public from this situation.

Don’t worry you will get used to the new system.

Is that like tolls on highways? I was in Melbourne on the weekend and coming from Perth, I was amazed with the amount of toll points my cabbie went through. They toll you everywhere!

Remove this Banner Ad

Free-to-air TV may get first dibs on sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Back