Freo fans prepare for frustration

Remove this Banner Ad

disgruntled goat

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
AFTER several years of being a bloody entertaining team to watch, what will happen to the Dockers under Ross Lyon?

As effective as he might be, Lyon turned Saints into a dirge to watch, now he gets one of the most talented, exciting lists in the game ... I feel for Freo fans.

I'm sure they'll be fine, its not like he can take a high scoring fluid team and suddenly implement a dour joyless playstyle so uninspiring you refuse to renew your membership for the last 3 years :)

As I posted in the other thread, grats to freo, they'll go from a talented but failed side to a talented winning side.

I rate Ross as a coach and he'll bring discipline to freo. I can see them winning a flag. A fabulously talented side even with the departures of haselby palmer and others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only real issue I can see for Freo, is the timing of their run. They would like to capitalise in the next year or two no doubt, before Sandi, Pavlich and McPharlin decline. However if this were not possible, Z Clarke can be nurtured as first ruck and Silvagni as an absolute gun defender, with the drafting of a tall forward KPP to replace Pav probably the major requirement. Although I will cop a great deal of sledging from their supporters, I sincerely hope Freo can take it to the next level, perhaps even winning a premiership or two along the way.

When Eade left Sydney everyone thought he'd be in flood mode with the Doggies as well but he played a fast attractive brand there. Surely Ross Lyon is smart enough to look at his new cattle and not force the same shit style he had with the Saints.

The zone if done correctly can be hugely successful at Subiaco, just ask Worsfold. When the Saints were dominant in 2009, they smoked some huge scores. I don't think Freo supporters will argue with that.

When Eade left Sydney everyone thought he'd be in flood mode with the Doggies as well but he played a fast attractive brand there. Surely Ross Lyon is smart enough to look at his new cattle and not force the same shit style he had with the Saints.

Now which soulless franchise did that "shit style" come from I wonder.

Why. He left Sydney and took their plan to St Kilda, who before that were a free flowing side.

He's a coach with a strong focus on defense and I think that will stay. McPhee, Mzungu, Van Berlo etc will be busy boys. Same with Mundy, Pav and Barlow who will be suited to bottled up footy.

I hope he still continues to use Hill, Morabito and Fyfe in attack mode but lets see what happens. Montagna didn't struggle under Lyon and he was always after more talent on the outside which is why he recruited Ray, Peake and Lovett.

One thing I think is he probably needs some key forwards for his game plan. I'm not sure Bradley and Johnson can compete in the air and bring the ball to ground like Riewoldt and Kosi did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo fans prepare for frustration

Remove this Banner Ad

Back