Prediction Fringe players for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok so we've seen the JLT, for good or for bad, now we have to decide what sort of shape our team takes in round 1.

Assumptions- No Kennedy, Nicnat, Mackenzie, Vardy Ah Chee available

Likely 'locks' based on pre season selection and experience-

B: Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB: Yeo McGovern Duggan
C: Gaff Shuey Jetta
HB: Cripps Darling ????
F: Lecras ???? ????
R: Lycett Redden Sheed
IC: ???? ???? ???? ????

So I give it seven spots up for grabs, mostly in the forward line and midfield.

Who do you pick? Possible selections could be from
Ryan
McInnes
Rioli
Brander
Ainsworth
Masten
Schofield
Venables
Watson
Waterman
Karpany (is he injured?)
MAllen (ditto?)
Cole
Hutchings
Mutimer
Partington
OAllen
Nelson
McKenzie available? Highly unlikely

B: Hurn, Barrass, Sheppard
HB: Watson, McGovern, Cole
C: Gaff, Duggan, Jetta
HF: Cripps, Darling, Venables,
F: Ryan, Waterman, Lecras,
R: Lycett, Shuey, Yeo,
B: Sheed, Redden, Hutchings, Schofield

The debutants are highlighted in green and having four could be too much (the match committee would be most courageous to do this). I have brought in Watson and Cole, so we can release Yeo and Duggan from the defence to have greater on-ball presence. Our midfield continues to be our weakest link and the only way I can see it improving is with addition of Naitanui, and players like Duggan, Yeo, Sheed, and Venables getting more time and experience in the machinery. I have also brought in Schofield to give Lycett a hand in ruck duties, and give us another option at both ends if needed.
No way Watson gets a game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, at least 3 will debut. Ryan, Waterman & Venables. Perhaps Rioli if fit or Ainsworth. Otherwise we'd have to play Masto. Our depth is pretty shallow this season, so a lot more inexperienced players will be given a go this year.

Cole's dad passed away from cancer on the weekend, the club's just posted a condolence message on social media :(

Unclear now whether he'll play Round 1 or not, Schofield played in similar circumstances but it'd very much be a personal decision for Tom.

Cole's dad passed away from cancer on the weekend, the club's just posted a condolence message on social media :(

Unclear now whether he'll play Round 1 or not, Schofield played in similar circumstances but it'd very much be a personal decision for Tom.
It must have been difficult for young Tom being so far away from his Dad in his final days. Some players want to play and dedicate the game to the Parent passed, but it doesn't always work as look at Nic on GF day in 2015 following his Mums passing - he just wasn't up to it. It's an individual thing I guess but I would think Tom would want to be with his family at a time like this. Sad times for him and my thoughts are with both Tom and his extended family:(

If Cole misses then you'd think Schofield will play. Doubt we would pick Nelson given his preseason and Watson is still raw.

Assuming Rioli doesn't get up then would we pick Ainsworth ahead of Parto and Masten?

If he miss's i would 100% play Schofield over Nelson.

Its quite amazing how rapidly Nelson's stocks appear to have fallen.

After that Hawthorn game last year where he played "ok" in a drubbing, many on here lost their loads. Now he looks like a delisting candidate in all honesty.

Its quite amazing how rapidly Nelson's stocks appear to have fallen.

After that Hawthorn game last year where he played "ok" in a drubbing, many on here lost their loads. Now he looks like a delisting candidate in all honesty.
#mongrel

Doesn’t really matter if Nelson doesn’t make it - he was only a late pick remember. It’s a bit of a worry that Duggan seems the only player from that draft that is going to work out though.

Doesn’t really matter if Nelson doesn’t make it - he was only a late pick remember. It’s a bit of a worry that Duggan seems the only player from that draft that is going to work out though.

Well said. Disregarding trades, the only best 22 players from 4 successive national drafts (2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014) are Hutchings?, Sheed, Barass and Duggan. Duggan was lucky he was moved to defence last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Fringe players for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back