Prediction Fringe players for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we did really well at the time of the 2014 draft too. Of course none of us expected that our two steals of that draft would be wiped out through freak injury and illness. Lamb failing was more predictable but I still thought he would add something.

B: Sheppard Barrass Hurn
HB: Yeo McGovern Duggan
C: Gaff Shuey Jetta
HB: Cripps Darling Brander
F: Lecras Waterman Ryan
R: Lycett Redden Sheed
IC: Hutchings McInnes Ainsworth Cole

Duggan/Jetta/Yeo will all rotate through wing/HB/on-ball I think.

From the fringe guys it's really hard to select, they don't seem to offer too much, we may get pumped for a few weeks until we get some best 22 from injury. I've ended up selecting Brander as a HFF, could be useful there, not too much pressure or focus on him.

Waterman at FF, he's a competitive beast and will enjoy being a target for the mids.

Ryan at forward pocket, probably the first of the small forwards to be picked ATM.

Hutchings as a rotation up forward and on ball.

McInnes big man as second ruck and chop out up forward.

Ainsworth another rotation for forward and on ball, has shown the most out of Venables/Masten/Partington/Mutimer this preseason.

Cole rotation for backline, like Ainsworth he's shown the most out of the others (Watson/Nelson) this preseason.

HB: Yeo McGovern Duggan
C: Gaff Shuey Jetta
HF: Cripps Darling Venables
F: Lecras Waterman Ryan
R: Lycett Redden Sheed
IC: McInnes/NicNat Cole Hutchings Ainsworth
E: Brander Masten Nelson

Think we saw across the two JLT games, particularly yesterday, what the match committee considers to be the best 22 at the moment.

If Rioli doesn't get up or isn't risked (which would be wise, given his recent injury history) then Ainsworth gets the final spot. I think we're a little off balance if all of Rioli/Ryan/Lecca/Cripps play anyway. I know Richmond just won a flag with a team of 20 small forwards but I don't think it'll work for everyone.

Cole seems to have the inside running on the final spot in defence, hopefully he gets a month or so to cement himself.

That team has four debutants (Ryan, Waterman, Venables and Ainsworth), plus Brander as an emergency and Rioli on the cusp. Four would be the most debutants we've played in a game since about 1990 I think.
Without reading your post I got the same team (though switched Venables and Brander as Venables looks like he's not ready yet to me).

HB: Schofield McGovern Yeo
C: Gaff Redden Hutchings
HF: Cripps Waterman Jetta
F: LeCras Darling Ryan

R: Lycett Shuey Sheed

INT: Duggan Venables Naitanui Partington

Unlucky
Nelson, Masten, Cole
Karpany, Rioli, Mutimer

INJ; Kennedy,MacKenzie, Vardy, Ah Chee

NOT READY YET
Ainsworth, Brander, Watson (R)
Rotham, O.Allen, Petruccelle, Brayshaw

Trash Pile-(Please No)
McInnes (R), M. Allen, Bayok (R), Olanga (R), Burrows (R), England (R)

Please MC play less talls, Sheppard can take em down back, Lycett can play min fwd swapping with Waterman & Darling. I think Schofield gets a gig for his experience, even though hes a tweener and should probably be passed at this stage as he wont get any better. Depth is almost non-existant so we will be forced to play noobs at time throughout the year. It will be exciting to see some new faces do some cool things for 5 minutes a game before they go missing.

HB: Schofield McGovern Yeo
C: Gaff Redden Hutchings
HF: Cripps Waterman Jetta
F: LeCras Darling Ryan

R: Lycett Shuey Sheed

INT: Duggan Venables Naitanui Partington

Unlucky
Nelson, Masten, Cole
Karpany, Rioli, Mutimer

INJ; Kennedy,MacKenzie, Vardy, Ah Chee

NOT READY YET
Ainsworth, Brander, Watson (R)
Rotham, O.Allen, Petruccelle, Brayshaw

Trash Pile-(Please No)
McInnes (R), M. Allen, Bayok (R), Olanga (R), Burrows (R), England (R)

Please MC play less talls, Sheppard can take em down back, Lycett can play min fwd swapping with Waterman & Darling. I think Schofield gets a gig for his experience, even though hes a tweener and should probably be passed at this stage as he wont get any better. Depth is almost non-existant so we will be forced to play noobs at time throughout the year. It will be exciting to see some new faces do some cool things for 5 minutes a game before they go missing.
How dare you have Mallen in your trash pile

Looking pretty likely that we'll have at least three debutants in Round 1: Ryan, Venables and Waterman. Ainsworth a chance, Rioli a chance if he's fit, Brander a sneaky chance.

This would be right up there with the most we've ever blooded in one match. The only times we've played more than two AFL debutants in the same match (that I can find):

Round 1 1987: 15
Round 1 1989: 5 (Sumich, Pyke, Turley, Breman, Ellis)
Round 1 1990: 4 (Matera, Kemp, Irving, Gwilliam)

Missed one

Round 1 1996: 3 (Morrison, Donnelly, Fewster)

• Interchange From*
  • 1 Liam Ryan
  • 18 Daniel Venables
  • 26 Francis Watson
  • 30 Jackson Nelson
  • 31 Will Schofield
  • 33 Brayden Ainsworth
  • 34 Mark Hutchings
  • 36 Fraser McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back