Roast Full house clean required

Remove this Banner Ad

Ideally this is what I'd be doing -

Delist/retire: Biggie, Dow, Castagna, Cotchin, Tarrant, Riewoldt, Colina. 1-year deals for everyone else out of contract.
Trade out: Soldo + Graham and/or Ralphsmith
Trade in: Georgiades for a 2nd/future 2nd and possibly a skillful outside mid like Dylan Stephens depending on below scenario. Find some inside midfield depth as a delisted free agent/token late pick/free agency.

Then try package up everything we can for GCs first pick or use our future 1st to trade back into this year's 1st round to get some more top end young talent into the system ASAP.

Ideally this is what I'd be doing -

Delist/retire: Biggie, Dow, Castagna, Cotchin, Tarrant, Riewoldt, Colina. 1-year deals for everyone else out of contract.
Trade out: Soldo + Graham and/or Ralphsmith
Trade in: Georgiades for a 2nd/future 2nd and possibly a skillful outside mid like Dylan Stephens depending on below scenario. Find some inside midfield depth as a delisted free agent/token late pick/free agency.

Then try package up everything we can for GCs first pick or use our future 1st to trade back into this year's 1st round to get some more top end young talent into the system ASAP.

Yes, I agree, especially the future 1st. Teams will see us as sliding down so could be tempted to give us a 1st rounder for a future 1st.

Yes, I agree, especially the future 1st. Teams will see us as sliding down so could be tempted to give us a 1st rounder for a future 1st.

Even Caroline Wilson said 4 years of bottom 4 coming up on footy classified.

I can't see us coughing up next years first because it should be good.

West Coast will be better, North better, Hawks better, most teams will be better apart from us and maybe Geelong

Player retirements starting to trickle down across the league. Will be disappointed if by this time next week Cotchin and Riewoldt haven't announced theirs also. Surely they're not delusional?Whoever the new coach is shouldn't have to do a double Bambi cull as first point of business.

Nice guy mini would probably extend their careers by 2-3 years. All this Riewoldt has kicked 30 goals is far outweighed by the fact his direct opponents are usually in top 3 players BOG. Take away Riewoldts 4 good games and his remaining season has been diabolical. When you're your team's only focal point of course you're gonna kick goals. Even on weekend one goal was because he was completely left alone without an opponent being within 30m another Jones beat him then slipped on a banana peel.

Cotchins played 1 really good game maybe 3 ok games and plenty of nothing games where you see him Bob up half way through the game and remember he's actually playing. Could've been better to got games into Sonsie, Dow and Ross some midfield time. Surely nobody thinks they deserve another year?

Player retirements starting to trickle down across the league. Will be disappointed if by this time next week Cotchin and Riewoldt haven't announced theirs also. Surely they're not delusional?Whoever the new coach is shouldn't have to do a double Bambi cull as first point of business.

Nice guy mini would probably extend their careers by 2-3 years. All this Riewoldt has kicked 30 goals is far outweighed by the fact his direct opponents are usually in top 3 players BOG. Take away Riewoldts 4 good games and his remaining season has been diabolical. When you're your team's only focal point of course you're gonna kick goals. Even on weekend one goal was because he was completely left alone without an opponent being within 30m another Jones beat him then slipped on a banana peel.

Cotchins played 1 really good game maybe 3 ok games and plenty of nothing games where you see him Bob up half way through the game and remember he's actually playing. Could've been better to got games into Sonsie, Dow and Ross some midfield time. Surely nobody thinks they deserve another

Cotchins played 1 really good game maybe 3 ok games and plenty of nothing games where you see him Bob up half way through the game and remember he's actually playing. Could've been better to got games into Sonsie, Dow and Ross some midfield time. Surely nobody thinks they deserve another year?

If we are finishing bottom four next year per Wilson, moving on others is probably more of a priority because Cotch and JR will be gone by themselves in the not to distant future of their own accord

We need
If we are finishing bottom four next year per Wilson, moving on others is probably more of a priority because Cotch and JR will be gone by themselves in the not to distant future of their own accord
I wouldn't be placing too much weight into Caro's football predictions - her specialty is gossip and off-field politics, not the actual game itself. :$

We need

I wouldn't be placing too much weight into Caro's football predictions - her specialty is gossip and off-field politics, not the actual game itself. :$

She is usually very pro upside and cosy so for her to say that really was interesting I thought given supposed people she would be sussing out, and fishing with.

Obviously Dimma thought it was better to fly the coup and I do not have to worry about Dimma trying to develop our squad any longer

...............we're 2 games behind 5th. Bottom 6 team means very little when the ladder is tight and that changes every week. We are part of the middle group of teams 5th-15th. Thats where we are.

Lets say Lynch doesn't get injured this year, do you think any of our results change? 1 point loss to Essendon. 10 points to Port. 5 points to Dogs. 18 to Demons. Swans game when it was equal at 3 quarter time. Only scoring 48 against the Suns.
I dont see us losing to Essendon for sure, and just 1 of those other 5 results swapping seems quite possible.
That one injury doesn't happen and its quite reasonable to say we would be a top 6 team instead.

And we have been playing the kids and cycling through them. The amount we have been doing is noticeable, you cans see the inexperience in our team. There is a balance which I really don't think we can push much further. You need leadership on the field and you need that structure that the kids can play within to be able to learn.

Like on Friday, with no Grimes, I don't think Banks and Young had a great time. They got punished and our backline was a mess. They have better opportunities to learn if they just have to play their own role in a set team rather than play with a bunch of other people that are trying to figure it out too. Even if Grimes isn't the player he used to be, he can tell them where to stand, he can tell them what to look for, to let them know when they're doing something wrong, to give them advice etc etc.

Its not as easy as just saying, 'PLAY THE KIDS', you need a balance between youth and experience. We've had a third to a half our team being inexperienced players all year. You really can't push it further than that.

Well said.. people seem to think there's a magic remedy, axe all the olds, get some youth and we contend in 4 years.. How'd that work out for most clubs? Senior/experienced players need to pass on a winning culture..and belief (among a bunch more 'practical' things. Standards, training etc). Hate to say it, but Pies did it well. Contended 18-19..dipped a little, and came straight back up with both senior experience and an injection of youth. They were bloody lucky with some father son's though..

Hopefully we can do the same.

Overall there is serious overreaction at the state of our list. Our forward line is DIRE for sure. Without its so bad that our entire team structure falls apart. We are relying on our midfielders to kick goals and we're not locking the ball in like we used which then puts our defense under pressure.

Defense: Our defense looks solid especially with Gibcus back. We then may play with Banks are Young in the forward or just have them as genuine backups so inuries in that line don't hurt too much.

Midfield: Our midfield is also decent and if we can get Hopper to his 2021 form then thats a genuine A grader there to add. With a proper forward line these guys can hopefully focus more on winning the ball and delivery rather than also trying to be our forwards too. Lets not forget it also takes time to learn a new team and a new system, Taranto and Hopper fully integrated will be a huge boost. Ross is took a huge step this year and is still 22 with only 60 games played. Players don't usually really hit their straps until 24/100 games ish.

Forward: Just having Lynch back in the forward line would make a huge difference. We need a second tall too which is the hardest part. But if we get Lynch on the park + a 2nd forward I think Jack is a solid 3rd option if he plays on again. I know people think hes cooked, but hes playing on the best defender + a 3rd man while also battling through injuries and not resting any games. If he takes the 3rd defender and rests once a month, I think he goes to being a 2 goal a game forward.
We need to find solid smalls but Mansell and Couthard have shown some signs. We need someone to take a genuine step liek Butler and Castagna did in 2017 to be locked 22 small forwards.

Our young end of the list isn't in a dire situation: We've also got a reasonable list of low 1st round/high 2nd round young players that still could take that leap. We have 5 top #30 picks from 2021. Giibcus and Brown both lost this entire year with injury, those are 2 extra talents we will have next year that we didn't this year.
The other 3 we have are Banks with only 5 games played, Sonsie is still 20, Judson Clarke is only 19.
Its like Bolton was instantly good, it wasn't until his 3rd season when he took a leap and he still got dropped before the finals. So it wasn't until his 4th he was best 22. These 5 guys are just finishing off season 2.

We still have plenty of years left in some of our established talent: We're losing the top guys soon in Dusty, Cotch, Jack, Grimes etc, but we are not Hawthorn from a few years ago. We didn't ignore the draft for the previous 6-8 years. Balta is only 23, Bolton is only 24, Baker 25. These guys havn't even hit their prime yet

We've still got 2-5 years of: Prestia, Broad, Vlaustin, Mcintosh, Nank.
We've still got 6-8 years of: Short, Hopper, Rioli, Baker, Taranto, Graham
We've still got 9+ years of: Bolton, Balta

TLDR: Forward line needs fixing, but we'll be ok.

Agree with most of it but with the stars going we cannot afford to carry players like kmac & jgti! Fwd line needs an overhaul including a solid plan for when lynch is down cause he will!
Bolton should play midfield and provide the outside run, ross should never leave the side now, pickett back to wing, cotch retires, dusty fwd!

Tt, hopper, prestia and bolton is a decent midfield

Well said.. people seem to think there's a magic remedy, axe all the olds, get some youth and we contend in 4 years.. How'd that work out for most clubs? Senior/experienced players need to pass on a winning culture..and belief (among a bunch more 'practical' things. Standards, training etc). Hate to say it, but Pies did it well. Contended 18-19..dipped a little, and came straight back up with both senior experience and an injection of youth. They were bloody lucky with some father son's though..

Hopefully we can do the same.

Ok.

Would u like us to pick up this conversation when we are 7 games off 5th then in 2024?

Sometimes I like to clean my house before I get rats & flies in it. It's a better strategy than just waiting for the rats & flies to take over

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok.

Would u like us to pick up this conversation when we are 7 games off 5th then in 2024?

Sometimes I like to clean my house before I get rats & flies in it. It's a better strategy than just waiting for the rats & flies to take over

What's your point here? 7 games off 5th in 2024? Well yeah we definitely will be if we axe everyone and start again? ..if that's what your wanting?

I'm not saying we won't (and shouldn't) retire/trade a few, and that we won't have coaching panel turnover. I'm saying it isn't is as simple as axing everyone and thinking it'll miraculously work out. The tiges after 37 years of shit, finally had a culture of winning and belief. Might be useful to pass that on to the next gen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back