Fully ticketed game has one third of the ground empty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just like tonight's "A" game for North Melbourne v Richmond. Be lucky to get 35k this time unlike the 46k last season for same fixture.

Entry to the games, you just have to cough up extra for certain games to reserve a seat if your membership doesn't come with one.
Seems like a bit of a convoluted system.

IMO, clubs should offer four membership options, and four membership options only:
- Season ticket for all of your team's games, with reserved seat for home games
- Season ticket for your team's home games, with reserved seat
- Interstate supporter pass, with ticket for your team's game in your home state
- Non-ticketed supporter membership
No extra fees to reserve a seat, no three-gamers, no blockbuster memberships, no pet memberships, etc.

Seems like the fact that ground and league memberships exist serves to complicate things a bit more than it should in Melbourne too.

Last edited:
I get memberships with St Kilda and Essendon each year for family reasons.

Won't be getting either next year.

Then when the clubs call me to renew (Saints players do it direct, I think Essendon outsource) I'll be asking to speak to a membership manager or something to unload on them how ****ed this situation is.

It's not reasonable at all!. AFL members pay an annual membership fee of between $410-$540, by the time you factor in attending for example 11 ticketed games for the season paying the excessive ticket fees of $15.50( $8.50 reserve seat upgrade and $7.50 handling fee) your up for another $170 on top of your membership taking your yearly cost to approx. $580-$710.

You'd be better off financially not being a member and just attending the footy 11 times in the general public for $36.
$36 x 11 =$360 annually cost VS $580-$710 as a AFL member.

Its only a bad deal if you support Essendon, for most of the other clubs playing out of Etihad there is usually tickets available every week, this year there is games that have had walk up on Level 1 which is an improvement.

Yep your observation about talkback radio is correct. Most of the comments on it are factually incorrect or grossly exagerated. People claiming all sorts of astronomical prices when in fact the seats they would have been sitting in before this new system now cost $8.50, not $30-$60.

In regards to a AFL membership at Etihad stadium for Essendon home games, if the AFL reserve sells out on L1(which it always does in minutes of release) your left with option of upgrading to a level 3 rows G-X for $15.50 or upgrade into the public area which will cost me $37 on level 1 or $47 on level 2.

So there's no exaggeration, for an Essendon home game it will cost between $15.50-$47 to upgrade to a reserved seat on top of your $410 yearly membership as a AFL member.

It's true though.
You have cheap tickets. Easy access to watch your team play 15-16 matches a year at minimum. And all in world class stadiums, well served by public transport.

Yes we do because we have ten clubs sharing two stadia, meaning the griounds are utilised more regularly to help pay the bills. Off topic though.

In regards to a AFL membership at Etihad stadium for Essendon home games, if the AFL reserve sells out on L1(which it always does in minutes of release) your left with option of upgrading to a level 3 rows G-X for $15.50 or upgrade into the public area which will cost me $37 on level 1 or $47 on level 2.

So there's no exaggeration, for an Essendon home game it will cost between $15.50-$47 to upgrade to a reserved seat on top of your $410 yearly membership as a AFL member.
I think you misunderstood my post a bit.
Yes these figures you mention are true but this was also the case last year.
The point I was making was that under variable pricing people are claiming they have to pay $30, $40, $50 and make it sound like last year they didn't have to pay anything. If you wanted to sit in those seats last year you still had to pay, they weren't free. They may now cost a little more depending on the game but to say you now have to pay $15-$47 is an exaggeration because last year you also had to pay.
There are also $8.50 seats on level 3 which AFL members can buy for Essendon home games.

Don't get me wrong, I think the whole set up sucks, but most cost claims people are making with this new system are exaggerated.

I think you misunderstood my post a bit.
Yes these figures you mention are true but this was also the case last year.
The point I was making was that under variable pricing people are claiming they have to pay $30, $40, $50 and make it sound like last year they didn't have to pay anything. If you wanted to sit in those seats last year you still had to pay, they weren't free. They may now cost a little more depending on the game but to say you now have to pay $15-$47 is an exaggeration because last year you also had to pay.
There are also $8.50 seats on level 3 which AFL members can buy for Essendon home games.

Don't get me wrong, I think the whole set up sucks, but most cost claims people are making with this new system are exaggerated.

Yep misunderstood ya, sucked arse last year , and still sucks arse this year and I've had enough.

In regard to variable ticketing we should hear some squealing from MCG tenants that hold Category 1 & 2 reserved seats next year, as most of the packages (if not all) were based on the previous years prices because of the late release of the variable ticketing system, Category 1 seats were $48 at the G in 2013 and variable ticketing increased Cat 1 seats to $60 which is a 25% increase.

So we will see some irate fans next season when they realise that their reserved seat package will increase by 25%

A night in the life of a WA footy fan

Most games at Subi get about 80% capacity though.

I would be interested to know if for the WCE v GWS a 'general admission' member was forced to buy a seat. (If GA memberships even exist, is WCE membership fully reserved seat?)
Hey Kickazz,

I urge you and any other AFL members to write a e-mail to AFL membership services detailing the things that your not happy with and the solution you would like to see.

I did this a few weeks back and I received a phone call from a AFL membership services manager who I had a lengthy chat with and he mentioned very few people have officially complained in writing and thanked me for doing so, he is looking to compile some constructive feedback of what members want to help justify change in 2015 to help maintain/create more value for members.

So I urge Members to put their thoughts into writing if you want change in 2015.

Cheers. I'm not actually an AFL member, it was my Carlton mate that had to deal with it. I'll suggest it to him.

Did find out at Etihad gate tonight that if you book via ticketmaster it costs $52+ booking fee for behind the goals level 1. I asked at gate..... $25. Work that one out for same seats, same game. Feel sorry for people who bought them at $52.

I find it repugnant that I pay $600 a year for a membership which supposedly allows me to attend home and away games, yet about 3+ times a year I need to spend extra to actually attend. Mind you, this rarely even happens at the MCG.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Etihad which determine which fixture is 'fully ticketed'. Easy way to rip off their customers, and the clubs, even more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just like tonight's "A" game for North Melbourne v Richmond. Be lucky to get 35k this time unlike the 46k last season for same fixture.

On the money, as it turned out.

I know it's a holiday weekend, but I was shocked how few Richmond supporters were there. Having heard some earlier discussion about the ticketing I thought it probably had some effect. (As an A game, you could scan your card and walk up but only part of level 3 was available for GA, so you could come not knowing whether you'd miss out and have to pay.)

Did find out at Etihad gate tonight that if you book via ticketmaster it costs $52+ booking fee for behind the goals level 1. I asked at gate..... $25. Work that one out for same seats, same game. Feel sorry for people who bought them at $52.
They are different seats though.
For A games the single bay directly behind the goals at each end is $25, every other bay on level 1 is $52. It's to keep things cheap for the cheer squads and those willing to sit behind them. Good deal if you can get them.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Revised Etihad StadiumAgameMap 2014.jpg

Yep misunderstood ya, sucked arse last year , and still sucks arse this year and I've had enough.

In regard to variable ticketing we should hear some squealing from MCG tenants that hold Category 1 & 2 reserved seats next year, as most of the packages (if not all) were based on the previous years prices because of the late release of the variable ticketing system, Category 1 seats were $48 at the G in 2013 and variable ticketing increased Cat 1 seats to $60 which is a 25% increase.

So we will see some irate fans next season when they realise that their reserved seat package will increase by 25%

Hawthorn have already done this, our seats were reclassified so we had to pay approx 30% more for 2014 compared to 2013.

That's your own clubs fault for selling your home games away to Tasmania.

BTW the fixture is constructed under a weighting formula based on where all the teams finished from the previous year to ensure the fixture is as even as possible, you should check the fixture rules out!

Where are the FIXture rules? They seem to change from season to season just like the rules of play.

Club memberships not AFL memberships. I suspect the AFL want Vic supporters to have afl rather than club memberships to weaken club independence. The fans need to side with the clubs and send the afl a message.

Mine is actually a Tigers membership because Eagles isn't an option when doing it online and I don't mind the Tigs.

It's not reasonable at all!. AFL members pay an annual membership fee of between $410-$540, by the time you factor in attending for example 11 ticketed games for the season paying the excessive ticket fees of $15.50( $8.50 reserve seat upgrade and $7.50 handling fee) your up for another $170 on top of your membership taking your yearly cost to approx. $580-$710.

You'd be better off financially not being a member and just attending the footy 11 times in the general public for $36.
$36 x 11 =$360 annually cost VS $580-$710 as a AFL member.

You touch on a different problem here, in times gone by, people went to the game every week, not every fortnight & costs continue to rise.

On subject, the AFL only compete for members in Melbourne, its a very local problem as Crankyhawk identified.

Yeah but I got Aisle 3 (bay next to race in pocket) Which is a "$52" bay for GA price.
That's interesting. Sounds like they opened up unsold areas for GA price in which case those people who paid $52 would indeed be pissed off.
I remember a few years back they used to do this. A few times I rocked up to neutral games at the last minute, asked at the ticket window and they gave me a level 1 seat for free (after scanning AFL member barcode). Normally I would have to sit on level 3 in that situation. They always used to keep it hush hush though because they didn't want everyone to stop reserving seats and just rocking up to try and get it cheaper.

The variable ticketing system is a local problem to Melbourne also, as variable ticketing only applies to games played at the MCG and Etihad and a few games at Metricon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fully ticketed game has one third of the ground empty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back