Fully ticketed game has one third of the ground empty.

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand that Reserve ticket holders will feel aggrieved at paying a premium for their seat, only to find themselves surrounded by cheaper GA ticket holders. But it is frustrating to be at Docklands for a less than half-full game with many 1,000s of LVL1 seats empty, and to be told to go up past the empty LVL2 and into LVL3. It is hard to get the brain around pointing to a block of 400 empty seats and asking "can I sit there" only to be told "they are reserved". Reserved for what screams my puny brain!!!

You touch on a different problem here, in times gone by, people went to the game every week, not every fortnight & costs continue to rise.

On subject, the AFL only compete for members in Melbourne, its a very local problem as Crankyhawk identified.
ATM I pay a club package (with reserved seat etc) in order to reserve a grand final seat if we make it.

ATM I pay a club package (with reserved seat etc) in order to reserve a grand final seat if we make it.

Understand your thinking Cranky ... I went to 2005, missed out in 2006 despite being prepared to pay, don't be in that space !

IS the drive for club memberships amongst Melbourne based clubs leading to fans joining up & going to only home games?

Understand your thinking Cranky ... I went to 2005, missed out in 2006 despite being prepared to pay, don't be in that space !

IS the drive for club memberships amongst Melbourne based clubs leading to fans joining up & going to only home games?

Possibly. I know I moved from the 17 - 18 game membership (with all home and away games) to the home only membership after we were unable to get in to the Collingwood - Hawthorn match in 2011 due to lack of seats at MCG. Not fun when I had brought my 5 year old. Also with our Tasmanian deal we get some replacement away games with GA entry (but again subject to capacity - problem with having double up Collingwood games). Then we get the away game at Etihad vs bombers - can't get tickets (refuse to pay extortionate amounts mentioned in other threads for level 2 seating), often an Etihad game against carlton (same problem if carlton are doing well) and now this variable pricing which just confused everyone for the hawthorn geelong game.

What is the rationale in putting Collingwood's home game at Docklands and Essendon's home game at the MCG on Sunday afternoon? Is it to upset fans even more, or to reduce attendance. I know it is a real pain to get a replacement reserved seat at another stadium.

What is the rationale in putting Collingwood's home game at Docklands and Essendon's home game at the MCG on Sunday afternoon? Is it to upset fans even more, or to reduce attendance. I know it is a real pain to get a replacement reserved seat at another stadium.

I don't know why, but Melbourne away games against the Etihad tenants often seem to be at the MCG and not Etihad. Carlton seem to always have our home game against them at the MCG, ditto Essendon.

Probably both. The AFL would rather no one goes to the footy and everyone just stays home and watches games online. They want people to be like me, with a club membership and watching every game through a website. I live in Canada though so it's the only way I can watch. I do feel for people in Melbourne who get stuffed around with their tickets wanting to watch their club play.

I don't know why, but Melbourne away games against the Etihad tenants often seem to be at the MCG and not Etihad. Carlton seem to always have our home game against them at the MCG, ditto Essendon.
AFL Fixture doesn't make sense remember. In 2013 - Richmond played St Kilda Home and Away at MCG and played Western Bulldogs Home and Away at Etihad Stadium…..

Remove this Banner Ad

Fully ticketed game has one third of the ground empty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back