Future Developments of Sydney Stadiums

Remove this Banner Ad

What are peoples thoughts on the SCG as a spectator stadium? I went for the first time on the weekend. Really enjoyed it as a scenic ground, however found staff at ground were hopeless at managing queues to get in gates, we didn't know where we were lining up and then people were walking past the queues ignoring them and pushing in via gates. Poor signage directing to our bay and had to walk 3/4 of a lap of the ground to find a SCG person to direct me.

Lines for beers and food were incredibly long particularly due to a lack of bars/kiosks in seating areas. This was also magnified by their insistence of pouring each drink individually as ordered (quite different to Melb stadiums). Annoyingly also there was limited toilet areas and in fact toilets in each bathroom.

Following the game, there were about 10 lines for buses swirling all over the place and very limited signage or designation of queueing areas. I had no idea where the bus was actually going, just lined up and hoped for the best which was ok thankfully haha.

I loved the SCG as a massive cricket tragic, and fan of history in the game. Just felt that the stadium is somewhat poorly run.

Just sounds like Sydney, period.

PM this week "There will be a million people added to Western Sydney in the next decade, that's another Adelaide".

Defence Minister immediately follows with "And it will be infinitely more interesting".

I'm all for spotless being upgraded but it would be a nod to the future only. Music festivals aren't held there anymore. And the cricket wouldn't warrant an upgrade. You can't upgrade it for the soccer as that's only temporary.

Obviously gws are only going to get better but I think there should definitely be doubts around the membership base growing huge. They are in an area dominated by league and soccer and they would essentially need fans to cross codes.

Home gws finals v swans have no option but to be at scg. Afl set that precedence this year by saying scg wouldn't be big enough for that final.

If they are redeveloping Allianz stadium then at some point scg will also need a seating upgrade. Especially when swans crowds smash roosters crowds.

I thought I heard this year or last year that manuka oval was being re developed. The Giants won all their matches there this year and had great crowds, plus they would get the funding from Canberra. I think they should be pushing for more matches there. I will properly get criticised for this but Spotless stadium always seams to be lacking atmosphere in a regular season 4 40pm match.

I thought I heard this year or last year that manuka oval was being re developed. The Giants won all their matches there this year and had great crowds, plus they would get the funding from Canberra. I think they should be pushing for more matches there. I will properly get criticised for this but Spotless stadium always seams to be lacking atmosphere in a regular season 4 40pm match.

It was a proposal to the ACT government for an upgrade to Manuka, all privately funded, but giving GWS' partners access to nearby land to re-develop.

As you would expect from a local government located in an area jammed pack with public servants, the concept has gone to committee.

My guess: there will be some pretence towards having an open and competitive tender, and the GWS proposal will probably get up (noting the Giants' proposal also had the backing of ACT Cricket, who are keen to get their own BBL team).

There is a thread over on the GWS board if you want to read about it. Unlike Spotless, Manuka needs a capacity lift to about 20k and a refurb (puttigna roof over all seats would be a start). As for the unsolicited proposal which called for massive redevelopment, I can take it or leave it.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I'm still curious to hear from folks who know the Sydney metro area well...

If the AFL are thinking of a 3rd Sydney side at some stage in the future, are there any existing grounds in the Northern suburbs or Southern suburbs/Shire that could be upgraded to be an AFL standard ground for an expansion team? ... or are these areas too Rugby LEAGUE dominant in that a new AFL ground would probably need to be set up from scratch?

I'd be leaning towards a "South Sydney/Shire" side for SYDNEY3.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I'm still curious to hear from folks who know the Sydney metro area well...

If the AFL are thinking of a 3rd Sydney side at some stage in the future, are there any existing grounds in the Northern suburbs or Southern suburbs/Shire that could be upgraded to be an AFL standard ground for an expansion team? ... or are these areas too Rugby LEAGUE dominant in that a new AFL ground would probably need to be set up from scratch?

I'd be leaning towards a "South Sydney/Shire" side for SYDNEY3.
Wont be any time soon or in the medium term.

Only ground would be close to AFL standard is North Sydney Oval, and thats barely.

Actually had two sellouts both this year. And with projected growth that we have had it won't be the last.
Thunder have had many more. And the bash will continue to grow.

Easter show is massive

As are the music festivals.

You obviously have no idea about the situation in Sydney so ill leave you to it.
Who were them sellouts against

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No your wrong.
When they played the Bulldogs at home the crowd was 21,790.
When they played the Swans the crowds was 21,541.
The capacity for Spotless is 24,000 so neither game was sold out
Swans was listed as a sellout. No more tickets could be bought.

Dogs was as close as you could get to a sellout with out being one.

2,000 short of capacity says otherwise.
b977c7aa239cd7bc6401e3733920c112.jpg

There were no more tickets available. As such a sellout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Future Developments of Sydney Stadiums

Remove this Banner Ad

Back