Game time "more than likely" to be reduced from 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

if qtrs are too long for the AFLs liking, there are so many other ways to shorten them than to allow something that can be so easily manipulated

No time on after a behind is kicked - give the players the time limit of whatever it is (20secs or w/e). With the bag of balls by the fence theres no reason a team couldnt have kicked out in time and no way to delay the game intentionally

No time on during throw ins - this can be harder to police, but it would be very (extremely) hard for a player to intentionally delay the umpire from throwing the ball in. The only possible problem could be the ball going into the crowd and a fan trying to delay the return. The umpires could possibly call time on if it isnt in the hands of the boundary umpire in a few seconds.

The problem with having no time on during field ball ups is the players often use this time to catch a quick break, so players in packs lying on the ball, slowly getting up can become a problem, they could waste almost half a minute if they wanted to

Having no time on half 3/4 of the game is terrible and can be easily exploited and definately will be

You know, I'm a composer and audio engineer/mixer.

The AFL's approach to rule changes is like watching a band try to mix their own album by themselves:

Guitarist: "Turn up the guitar!"
Bass player: "Yeah, that's cool, but now it needs more bass!"
Singer: "Now you can't hear the vocal! That needs to be louder now!"
Drummer: "Now that everything else is louder, the drums are lacking punch now - turn up the drums!"

All you end up with is a big mess with absolutely no balance.

Thus, you have AFL football today.

You know, I'm a composer and audio engineer/mixer.

The AFL's approach to rule changes is like watching a band try to mix their own album by themselves:

Guitarist: "Turn up the guitar!"
Bass player: "Yeah, that's cool, but now it needs more bass!"
Singer: "Now you can't hear the vocal! That needs to be louder now!"
Drummer: "Now that everything else is louder, the drums are lacking punch now - turn up the drums!"

All you end up with is a big mess with absolutely no balance.

Thus, you have AFL football today.
[youtube]9S3_b7_dkOU[/youtube]

Anderson said the laws of the game committee would look at establishing time-on only for the last five minutes of each quarter. He said the number of boundary throw-ins and stoppages had meant quarters ran for up to 37 minutes this season.

Wait? So they're basically changing it back to the way it use to be? Bloody hell those guys are stupid. This will just result it far more time wasting tactics.

I'm know I'm confusing the time-on/time-off concept with injury time (which occurs in the round ball game), but it's really just a different way of making up for the same thing - playing time lost due to incidental time wastage. What I'm saying is there should just be a uniform number of minutes each quarter (25 seems about right), with a countdown clock visible to all that stops during all stoppages in play (the ball going out of bounds, a set shot at goal, a goal having been scored, etc). That obviously sounds similar to what we already have, except I'm proposing a system without visibly differing (on the gameclock) lengths to quarters and (this part will probably be controversial) takes away the mystery of when the siren is going to blow. This way, the league gets to "control" the length of games somewhat, without the game itself being changed too significantly.

So you're saying we should keep the exact same system, but increase the quarters by 5 minutes and just hide how long they actually go for?

"The real driver of this is the fans," Anderson said.

Effectively, time spent waiting for the green light to flash while the TV stations are showing their advertisements between goals is to be deducted from the game.

Lying **********. The lack of consultation on this indicates it may well have been a stipulation of the TV rights agreement. AFL, you ****ing prostitutes.

"The real driver of this is the fans," Anderson said.

On this site, every single flaw in the game is constantly picked to shreds, and things which many deem not to be flaws are brought up and argued as well.

Has there EVER been a thread complaining about the length of matches?

EVER?

Not only will quarters be shortened, but the percentage of "dead time" - where the ball is not in play - will increase.

More junk time = watered-down product. New TV clubs = thinning draft = watered-down product. Poor business.

I go to and watch a lot of footy and the only time when I think a quarter has gone on too long is when my team is about to be run over!

I never heard any fan complain about quarter length. Shorten the tv ads if you want shorter quarters (like that'll happen) or leave it the **** alone.

So you're saying we should keep the exact same system, but increase the quarters by 5 minutes and just hide how long they actually go for?

Not, I'm saying we should use the same system as in basketball, American Football, etc. - a visible countdown clock that stops at all stoppages. None of this counting up, "when's the siren going to go?" kind of thing anymore.

Effectively, time spent waiting for the green light to flash while the TV stations are showing their advertisements between goals is to be deducted from the game.

Lying **********. The lack of consultation on this indicates it may well have been a stipulation of the TV rights agreement. AFL, you ****ing prostitutes.

See, this is where the footy media is a joke. You can talk about 'Football's First Lady' and how Hutchy gets all the scoops and Damian Barrett breaks all the big footy stories till you're blue in the face. But NO-ONE will challenge the AFL when it blatently lies like this. Hutchy, Barrett et al aren't journalists, they're glorified PR people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it would make the length of quarters more uniform, and make the length of games more predictable and controllable. This would give the league's administrators what they want (more uniformity and predictablity in and control over the length of games) while minimising the overall impact on the game itself (as changing the length of the game too significantly would affect the way the game is played).

Not, I'm saying we should use the same system as in basketball, American Football, etc. - a visible countdown clock that stops at all stoppages. None of this counting up, "when's the siren going to go?" kind of thing anymore.

I find not knowing when the siren will sound to be one of the pros of the game. Take some of the recent grand finals for instance.

05 and 06, didn't know how long was left so had hope/fear right until the very end. Same goes for 09. But last year? Knowing once the ball had been kicked up the wing and that a few stoppages would wind out the game was a bit of an anti-climax I feel.

Because it would make the length of quarters more uniform

No it doesn't. It will still be exactly the same.

and make the length of games more predictable and controllable.

Firstly, why do we need to do that?

Secondly, what you're suggesting doesn't do that anyway. Just because you can see the clock will make no difference to the length of the quarters.

This would give the league's administrators what they want (more uniformity and predictablity in and control over the length of games)

No it doesn't.

while minimising the overall impact on the game itself (as changing the length of the game too significantly would affect the way the game is played).

Agree with the bolded part.

So as far as I can tell, you're just suggesting no changes whatsoever, except we just show the clock at the ground?

Yet the "when's the siren going to go?" thing is one of the unique things about our game! Why on Earth would you want to destroy that!?

As for the "problem" of quarters supposedly getting longer, it is not due to the game-time, but other things.

After all, the game-time hasn't changed.

So why are quarters getting longer?

Because of all the rubbish in-between. Umpires taking 10 minutes to line a player up 10cm straighter on the mark before blowing time-on again. Waiting for the flashing light in between goals, blood rule because a poor wittle pwayer got a scratch, etc etc etc....

The AFL need to fix THOSE things as they are the problem! (if there is a "problem")

Not the game time.

Not to mention that adjusting the length of the game will make all past records of the game obsolete. Most goals in a game; highest score; most goals in a quarter; etc etc etc...

At least your suggestion (as far as I can tell) doesn't do that.

You're just destroying part of the theatre and drama of the game....

....for no reason. :confused:

They shouldnt bother with Time on

just 25 minutes like how it used to be

I think it was the Adelaide Crows who whinged about Essendon's time wasting tactics in that preliminary final in 1993. When after Essendon led they repeatedly punched the ball over the boundary line to wind the clock down. It led to a lot of upset South Australians which changed the time clock

But if they went back to the old Time Clock: The deliberate rule has changed that! and also if you punch the ball back over the line on the full - it is now termed Out of Bounds on the Full

I find not knowing when the siren will sound to be one of the pros of the game.

Exactly. I know there are two schools of thought on this, but I don't understand the other species which demands to know how much time is left. Control freaks!

They shouldnt bother with Time on

just 25 minutes like how it used to be

How long ago was this? As far as I'm aware, time has been added on for stoppages for a hundred years or more.

It's unworkable. What happens in the event of an injury like Faulks? It opens the door for doctors to protect a lead by refusing to move an injured player on medical grounds.

The AFL is trying to sneak this change in via the back door. What is the reasoning behind it?

This afternoon's bulldogs vs hawks match (a token round 23 match) took another 2 hours to actually have the final siren blow

Even though the game was decided 2 hours ago

Also has anyone ever fallen asleep before during a game and then wake up and find out that the game was still on?

I know I have :rolleyes:

there were cases during this afternoon's game between the bulldogs and the hawks (a tedious round 23 encounter) where the clock was stopped after a behind was scored by a hawthorn player, and the bulldogs fullback gathered the ball, thought it was out of bounds, and kicked it back in from the sideline

^ The clock hadnt run at all in all that b-s after the behind was scored

You could have easily chewed off 20 seconds off game time if the clock was still going

They won't let this go:

AFL quarters may be cut

ANDREW Demetriou said the AFL season would remain at 22 games for the foreseeable future, but flagged the possibility that games would be shorter next season.

"We all think the game's too long," the AFL's chief executive said.

"There's no doubt with the stoppages, with what is extra time, lots of boundary throw-ins because teams play down the line, you can't have 30-35 minute quarters.

"It's something that Adrian (football operations manager Adrian Anderson) and the laws committee is looking at. About how can we reduce the time."

The laws of Australian football say a match shall be played for a period of four 20-minute periods of actual playing time. Stoppages for extra time can stretch quarters to more than 30 minutes.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-quarters-may-be-cut/story-e6frf9jf-1226132656062

Remove this Banner Ad

Game time "more than likely" to be reduced from 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back