Rules The low knee - it's time for a conversation

Remove this Banner Ad

Now tell us youre okay with it if it knocks Daicos out and he misses 2 or 3 games.
No-one made any fuss at all when Pendles got broken ribs early this season by a knee in the back. I couldn’t even recall the name of the player who inflicted the damage - we all just accepted it as a footy accident with no sooking about it -
… “Pendlebury suffered fractured ribs after copping a knee to the back in a marking contest from Hawk Josh Weddle in their round four clash…”

Last edited:
If you drive the knee in and injure a player and you don't actually touch the ball, it should be a week

This is John Coleman

This is how the knee was used, for protection and lift.

Darcy Moores action is nothing like this..

Darcy Moore is stabbing people with his knee.

Everyone knows this except Dwayne Russell - so no surprise.

E69F0F24-2D0A-4917-992E-E4B7469D56FC.jpeg

The rules of the game are designed to stop other players taking another player out of the game by injuring them. Injuring opposition players have always been a form of cheating and has never been a part of the game, hence why we have rules to keep those who play the game safe.

AFL players, girls and guys who play seconds footy up in the country, regardless of who you are should feel they can run out and play a game and be safe. To only be injured by accident or their own bodies giving out.

If any player is deliberately trying to injure another player on the field, there needs to be rules to counteract this.

Just had it happen to myself playing low level footy. Going for an easy mark, a play decided to just B line me with a low knee. Fractured rib. Season over. I have to work with this doing a physical job. I'm self employed.

If it happens in the AFL, it happens in all levels.

It's important that we protect our players. The low knee is not necessary, it's not being used as a means to get the ball, it's being used to injure the opposition. There is no worse act of cheating in this game than to take someone out of the game by going against the games fundamentals and deliberately injuring them.

If they are flying for a mark and using the knee for elevation then sure that is fine. Let's not take that out of the game. If they are going for the man then no way should this be tolerated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rules The low knee - it's time for a conversation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back