Merv

<b>Resident Mongrel</b>
10k Posts
Jun 24, 2006
The start of a new era
AFL Club
Essendon
nabrnd1md5.jpg

Looking forward to a competitive showing tonight and my tip is the Dons by 10 points.

If you do this every week Swervyn, it might save me buying the footy record. Will save a bit of dough, which as you would know, is very important in these turbulent times ;)

What an air of anticipation there is out there today folks. Big props & shout-out to Merv for the thread. It's been a long time since the Bombers last took the field in a competitive hit-out and my, hasn't a lot changed.

No Sheeds, No Hird; almost unimaginable even 12 months ago. Yet here we are: for the first time in almost 3 decades, a different man will be in the box; a new perpective shifting the magnets on the whiteboard; and a new voice to inspire. It truly is a momentous occasion.

And how will the Bombers cope without The Greatest to lift and inspire them? A new generation of Bombers now have to step up to the plate in the absence of James Hird. Maybe it will be easier in some ways without the relentless presence of such a champion, but that's up to the kids. Can they take up the slack?

There's been some other personnel changes at Windy Hill this year too. For the second time in as many years, you feel the Bombers have recruited smartly, and it's hard not to get excited by the some of the talent accrued. This year, David Myers joins the team, and how exciting is it to see him start on the field today? Myers should be a sensational addition to the team; blue chip and brilliant. Then there's young Pears, who just looks like that big body that's going to be there for a decade.

That's not to forget the other talented youngsters - who couldn't get excited by the likes of Gumbleton, Davey, Jetta, Hislop, Ryder, Houli, & Dempsey?

Will our super important middle tier step up? Most of them aren't playing today, but can McVeigh, Welsh, McPhee, Johns etc step up? I think they can, and I think there will be a few pundits a bit red-faced by the end of the year (Greg Denham I'm looking at you!).

So, now, about 9 hours before the Essendon team hits the field for the first time in 08, I'm excited.

I think it will be a close game tonight, with both teams missing key personnel, but I think the Bombers will triumph by 13 points; and I think the better players might be Houli, Dempsey, Jetta, NLM, Johns and I hope Gumbleton. Maybe Johnson can give us a bit of that old time magic.

All really that's left to say is: bring it on, & GO BOMBERS!!!!

I would drop Rhys Magin from the team - cause he is only a rookie and doesnt look to have the build yet for the AFL. However maybe knights is thinking of resting another senior player.

That was a fantastic post Lance Uppercut!:thumbsu: I’m pumped now. Common bomber fans show your passion. No matter the result, its great to see Essendons back. Go the Baby Bombers!!:)

Great thread Merv, would be great to have it every week! :thumbsu:

Great post lance too! I'm pumped :D

I agree that we should drop Pev. Get every kid in there and give them an equal chance to have a crack. I think that the more senior players in the side, the less the kids feel they have to step up... You get 22 (or 24 now?) guys out there without much experience, it forces them to show what they are made of instead of leaving it to the vets.

GO BOMBERS!!

Quick forward line there. Could pose Brisbane plenty of problems. Other than Drummond are there are half decent defenders actually playing for Brisbane tonight? Many of our players will be inexperienced so it will be an interesting challenge for them against Brisbane's defence. Good to see Johns getting an entire forward line to himself and I whole heartedly expect him to kick 3-5 goals on an unknown at the Lions. Will be interesting to see if Gumbleton can manage a whole game at CHF. Id just like to see him having a presence and leading hard up the ground. Also I am hoping to see him having put on some bulk over the off season because he will need it at CHF. Good move to have McPphee up forward.
Wow our midfielders really do look exceptionally weak especially when compared to the Lions. Hocking, Johnson, Peverill, Dyson, Monfries? No wonder many people crucify our midfield. Dont know enough about Hocking to comment, but Ive heard he has a good endurance, but unsure over his pace. I hope that Peverill and Johnson are slowly phased out of the team this year as we need the likes of Houli, Reimers to come through.
I quite like our back line. There is experience in Michael and Lovett Murray. Ryder at CHB will continue his development and it will be thrilling to see Myers and Pears gettting a game. Cant expect to much but that wont stop me from intently watching their game.
I expect the Bombers to put up a fight tonight. Whether they can curb Brisbane's midfield influence is what will be the difference in my mind. Our forward line is solid and should be able to beat the defence of Brisbane's and our back line is quite promising. A 2 goal win to the Bombers is my prediction.
Thank heavens that Footy is back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you do this every week Swervyn, it might save me buying the footy record. Will save a bit of dough, which as you would know, is very important in these turbulent times ;)
:
:pIf you sign up to the site you get it sent to your email every week which might save you some money as well ;)

Im so excited for tonight. Its gunna be wierd cos for as long as ive pretty much been alive and old enough to understand footy it has been a Hirdy and Sheedy era. Ive never known any different.

I rekon drop like Pev or someone cos NAB is for uno the youngsters to have a go and that.

Did everyone see that Mal Michael is comparing them to the 93 baby bombers? Well lets hope they can bring us a premiership :p

Turbulent indeed.

What's your tip S?

Only 10 points Merv?

Essendon by 25+ :thumbsu:

I tipped against us on the main boards but thats just a front. :D

Gotta keep a lid on it if you know what i mean.

Is it just me or did anyone else wake up this morning with a spring in their step? Tonight is the start of the Baby Bomber M11 journey.

Is it just me or did anyone else wake up this morning with a spring in their step? Tonight is the start of the Baby Bomber M11 journey.

HELL YES! I JUMPED out of bed! Haha! I cannot wait for tonight! I have a birthday i have to go to but i aint goin til my footy is finished!

What an air of anticipation there is out there today folks. Big props & shout-out to Merv for the thread. It's been a long time since the Bombers last took the field in a competitive hit-out and my, hasn't a lot changed.

No Sheeds, No Hird; almost unimaginable even 12 months ago. Yet here we are: for the first time in almost 3 decades, a different man will be in the box; a new perpective shifting the magnets on the whiteboard; and a new voice to inspire. It truly is a momentous occasion.

And how will the Bombers cope without The Greatest to lift and inspire them? A new generation of Bombers now have to step up to the plate in the absence of James Hird. Maybe it will be easier in some ways without the relentless presence of such a champion, but that's up to the kids. Can they take up the slack?

There's been some other personnel changes at Windy Hill this year too. For the second time in as many years, you feel the Bombers have recruited smartly, and it's hard not to get excited by the some of the talent accrued. This year, David Myers joins the team, and how exciting is it to see him start on the field today? Myers should be a sensational addition to the team; blue chip and brilliant. Then there's young Pears, who just looks like that big body that's going to be there for a decade.

That's not to forget the other talented youngsters - who couldn't get excited by the likes of Gumbleton, Davey, Jetta, Hislop, Ryder, Houli, & Dempsey?

Will our super important middle tier step up? Most of them aren't playing today, but can McVeigh, Welsh, McPhee, Johns etc step up? I think they can, and I think there will be a few pundits a bit red-faced by the end of the year (Greg Denham I'm looking at you!).

So, now, about 9 hours before the Essendon team hits the field for the first time in 08, I'm excited.

I think it will be a close game tonight, with both teams missing key personnel, but I think the Bombers will triumph by 13 points; and I think the better players might be Houli, Dempsey, Jetta, NLM, Johns and I hope Gumbleton. Maybe Johnson can give us a bit of that old time magic.

All really that's left to say is: bring it on, & GO BOMBERS!!!!

Great post Upper! :thumbsu:

Can't wait to kick back with a few Corona's and watch the boys go at it!

GO DONS!!!!!!

i am hoping we drop pev. We know what he is capable of. We dont need to see him. Make room for kids

I disagree with that.

This game is as important for Damien Peverill as it is for anyone named in that side. He's got to show us, or more specifically Knights, that he's got something to offer in 2008 and that he's more than a late 20s midfielder coming to the end of his career.

Assuming there are no late withdrawals, I'd expect one of Magin or Hooker to miss. In my mind, each of them are a long way from our 2008 plans, and this year is not their last to impress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gameday: NAB Cup Essendon vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back