Gardening Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know tbh. I bought it at Bunnings. I have the tag around somewhere but not sure where.
I think it is
you might be able to eat it as its not a grain but a seed,I think its Paleo friendly

Greater Brisbane has more suburbs with good tree cover than any other Australian capital city, new aerial analysis has revealed.

However, like other Australian capital cities, Brisbane is feeling the pressure of rising city temperatures as developers remove trees to provide less expensive housing in small-lot, high-density estates.

Brisbane homes in suburbs with good tree canopies are seven degrees cooler than areas without trees, according to Brisbane City Council research.

Similar variations have been recorded in Melbourne – which is also taking planning steps to counter climate change – where city temperatures could rise by 3.4 degrees by 2070.

It shows more than 79 per cent of suburbs in Greater Brisbane have more than 20 per cent tree cover.

That is a higher percentage of suburbs with good tree cover than Hobart (71 per cent), Darwin (66 per cent), Canberra (58 per cent), Greater Sydney (44 per cent), Melbourne (30 per cent), Adelaide (26 per cent) and Perth’s 22 per cent.

are you just doing a little suburban snipping around the edges or serious bush bashing ?
I do my vineyard and fairly serious weeds with my one,on a suburban size block but fairly wild.
Its not manicured lawns
It gets stuck on woody weeds that at are as thick as a pencil so I just hand pull them as I need too
Yeah IMO go with a 2 stroke commercial grade brush cutter. On a suburban block it will last a lifetime and you will do the job a lot quicker. Something like a Stihl FS 120. Electric ones are just toys.

Yeah IMO go with a 2 stroke commercial grade brush cutter. On a suburban block it will last a lifetime and you will do the job a lot quicker. Something like a Stihl FS 120. Electric ones are just toys.
All get yourself a Honda lawn mower 4 stroke, Shindaiwa brushcutter 2 stroke, and an echo hand held blower 2 stroke and you will get a life time out of them. About $1500. Does at least 2000 lawns a year (commercial) with minimal servicing and repairs.

Last edited:
All get yourself a Honda lawn mower 4 stroke, Shindaiwa brushcutter 2 stroke, and an echo hand held blower 2 stroke and you will get a life time out of them. About $1500. Does at least 2000 lawns a year (commercial) with minimal servicing and repairs.
Have you had much experience with electric mowers? Bear in mind I do not have much lawn to mow.

Have you had much experience with electric mowers? Bear in mind I do not have much lawn to mow.
Not yet....but in 5 or so years that will be the future...when they get powerful enough. My local mower store is slowly making the transition to all electric mowers. They deal in Pellenc. A French company. Batteries last about 16 hours before needing a recharge and they are comparatively light weight to move around. The problem is it is approx a 5K investment...half of that is for the battery. They put a 3 year warranty on everything though. I think it is about 90% as powerful as my petrol mower. I use a self propelled Honda..21 inch, and I get about a year out of them before the drive gearbox goes and that is an expensive fix...so I just get a new one when that happens as a lot of other things go around that time as well. The Honda I use is about 1500 so it will work out about the same. Honda self propelled are nearly impossible to get though due to Covid, the one I am using is made up from parts of three old ones I had lying around...it's a worry.

IMG20211030180617.jpg

My lawn and garden after a feed, cut and tidy up.

The Pellenc mowers are for commercial though....not sure about small residential electric mowers.

I see the plastic stuff at Bunnings as throw away junk really. The amount of it you see on the council hard rubbish collections is pretty sad TBH.

Last edited:
_122314942_joeveg3.jpg

_122315059_p07r6fl8.jpg

_122314943_joeveg1.jpg

_122315055_joeveg2.jpg

_122315056_kevin2.jpg

_122314939_dscn1481.jpg

_122314940_img_2022-2.jpg

Wondering if the secret is live near a nuclear power plant ???

240V mowers suck. Never known anyone that has one that hasn't eventually mowed over the cord.

18/36/54/60/72V ones are OK, but it depends on the duty. Ryobi One+ anything from Bunnings has limitations. I've got a small suburban lawn and an 18V mower would do it fine, but since I already have an old 4 stroke I'll stick with that.

I too have an old 4 stroke mower I'll stick with but I bought a ryobi one+ trimmer and a chainsaw skin. Used the trimmer once. Seems OK although a cord upgrade is probably on the cards as per previous suggestions. Also like the look of the lopper attachment which will come in very handy for our big trees. I think I'll try service my stihl trimmer in my own time and then donate it to someone or something

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Borrowed a 240V mulcher once. Had an electric motor about the size of a 4L paint tin (3.7 or 5.5kW maybe?) and weighed a ton. Upright like a furniture trolley so moving it around is OK but getting it in and out of the car was a mission.

Can definitely see how people lose fingers, limbs etc. with these things. Crunched through all the branches I fed it and only got sad if you put something too green in that wrapped around the blades.

I love getting home from holidays to see how much the tomatoes and chillies have grown. I have an auto watering system and it’s usually very sunny of course so they grow a bit in 2 weeks
I have zero success in growing vegetables - one large (but tasty) tomato off a plant that promised so much; not one cucumber (then I noticed they need some complicated cross-pollination process :( ); pumpkin seed sprouted, then withered; coriander and thyme turn up their toes as soon as I bring them home. So I've given up on vegs. When the apocalypse happens I'll have to depend on others like you for supplies ;).

Some people seem to have the proverbial green thumb, my MIL among them. Anything she planted prospered :(.

I have zero success in growing vegetables - one large (but tasty) tomato off a plant that promised so much; not one cucumber (then I noticed they need some complicated cross-pollination process :( ); pumpkin seed sprouted, then withered; coriander and thyme turn up their toes as soon as I bring them home. So I've given up on vegs. When the apocalypse happens I'll have to depend on others like you for supplies ;).

Some people seem to have the proverbial green thumb, my MIL among them. Anything she planted prospered :(.
Pumpkin is susceptible to Powdery Mildew (fungal disease).
Means you kind of have to water them without wetting the leaves too much in warmer months. Absolute pain in the ass.

Borrowed a 240V mulcher once. Had an electric motor about the size of a 4L paint tin (3.7 or 5.5kW maybe?) and weighed a ton. Upright like a furniture trolley so moving it around is OK but getting it in and out of the car was a mission.

Can definitely see how people lose fingers, limbs etc. with these things. Crunched through all the branches I fed it and only got sad if you put something too green in that wrapped around the blades.
I have one that someone left at a property we bought. Probably the most useful thing that was ever left. Allows you fit about twice as much in the bin.

The vast majority of veges are imo not worth bothering with but there will be just a few really easy ones worth your while growing in your area.

I have one that someone left at a property we bought. Probably the most useful thing that was ever left. Allows you fit about twice as much in the bin.

Little moments of win. If I trim branches I usually just leave them in a pile for a week or so to dry out before putting them in the green bin. Putting them straight in when they are green is a pain in the arse.

Most useful thing I've been left is a box of (very expensive as it turns out) of tiles that made it easy to match existing and order.

Previous owners of this house left the garden looking like a wasteland. House was vacant when I got it had been that way for months but you'd think if you were selling a house you could at least check on the garden occasionally.

Previous owners of this house left the garden looking like a wasteland. House was vacant when I got it had been that way for months but you'd think if you were selling a house you could at least check on the garden occasionally.
Have been doing freo to Belmont throughout the holidays trying to bring back a lawn on one we're about to list. That roadwork going on at leach/Welshpool road is nice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gardening Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back