Game Day Gather Round 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not really sure of the solution, Mali was talking about finding a way to fill the stadium for both games and that maybe people can register for one or two games and "return" the 2nd ticket if your not going, trouble is you need people to actually scan out and you need them to exit.
Oversell the tickets, ie cap it at 65k capacity for the day.

Make 80% to 90% of the stadium GA. People sit where they want.

That way if 10k leave after the first game, another 10 or 15k take their place.

If full capacity during second game close the gate.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Make 80% to 90% of the stadium. People sit where they want.

Just gey the cameras to focus in on the full areas / bays, like an A-League game. Nobody will be the wiser.

Make 80% to 90% of the stadium GA. People sit where they want.

How would you feel if you pay money and get turned around upon arrival?

Or what if you leave for a smoke, and try to re-enter "Sorry, we've reached capacity"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie all for SA having the Gather Round for the next 3 years

On one hand, it is the most logical option.

But really? Eddie? He used to sprout Adelaide as being unwelcome to travelling fans.

It's quite hypocritical

How would you feel if you pay money and get turned around upon arrival?

Or what if you leave for a smoke, and try to re-enter "Sorry, we've reached capacity"
Pass outs for second issue.

And agree having to turn people away is not ideal. Unlikely to happen though.

I love the idea of the double header on one ticket. Maybe just need to live with the fact that both games don't look full, but they were sell outs and most people attended.

I love the idea of the double header on one ticket. Maybe just need to live with the fact that both games don't look full, but they were sell outs and most people attended.

I agree. If the AFL were worried about the look of half empty stadia .. hello Gold Coast and GWS!

I reckon you would get the same result if you have four stand alone games. Half full for the game involving smaller non SA teams

Melbourne v Essendon or Geelong v WCE is never getting more than 30k in Adelaide.

Ess v Melbourne got 44k at the G last year. Same issue.

I reckon you would get the same result if you have four stand alone games. Half full for the game involving smaller non SA teams

Melbourne v Essendon or Geelong v WCE is never getting more than 30k in Adelaide.

Ess v Melbourne got 44k at the G last year. Same issue.

Nah, given the success more neutrals will want to go and will grab whatever ticket they can.

Melbourne and Essendon would.
Collingwood and Saints would.

Geelong v WCE would struggle but you’d send a game like that to Barossa.

Sydney v Richmond with over 40k is proof the games would pull a big crowd.

I didn’t want to go to any of these other games but I regret it and would next time, I wouldn’t be alone. Plus you’ll get more interstators

I agree. If the AFL were worried about the look of half empty stadia .. hello Gold Coast and GWS!
Not quite an argument re: crowds or lack of them. Brisbane and Sydney would be full. The other 2 grounds are better than our 2nd best.
I would say our costs to put it on be would be less. Ease of getting here may be an advantage especially for country people and supporters that cant get to city fixtures or just want a good holiday.

I think we had the solution in here.

lock them away in 1 stand

Could you sell $30 for single game tickets, south, east and north

And $40 or $50 for the double header and lock them in the west?

It's set up well out back to do it anyway

Nah, given the success more neutrals will want to go and will grab whatever ticket they can.

Melbourne and Essendon would.
Collingwood and Saints would.

Geelong v WCE would struggle but you’d send a game like that to Barossa.

Sydney v Richmond with over 40k is proof the games would pull a big crowd.

I didn’t want to go to any of these other games but I regret it and would next time, I wouldn’t be alone. Plus you’ll get more interstators
Richmond and Collingwood are clubs with big supporter bases so they could work as stand alone to get a decent crowd.

It is interesting to note that the Friday night game had 42k (a great result here) yet was a sell out. So over 10k didn't attend.

Yet the uproar and supposed need for change is over the double headers which had better ticket sold to attendance ratio.

Personally think the double headers worked well. The only noise is from media outlets looking for a negative angle to Gather Round.

I think we had the solution in here.

lock them away in 1 stand

Could you sell $30 for single game tickets, south, east and north

And $40 or $50 for the double header and lock them in the west?

It's set up well out back to do it anyway
How would it look on TV if Eastern Stand half full, and Western Stand full.

Yet proclaim a sell out. Still going to get a large number of people not rock up. Just like the Richmond v Swans game. 10k plus didn't attend.

The same issue could arise. The issue being the look of empty seats, despite selling every ticket.

How would it look on TV if Eastern Stand half full, and Western Stand full.

Yet proclaim a sell out. Still going to get a large number of people not rock up. Just like the Richmond v Swans game. 10k plus didn't attend.

The same issue could arise. The issue being the look of empty seats, despite selling every ticket.

But how would that happen

We sold out standalone games

But this congregates all the people there for the double header in 1 spot.

While allowing those only interested in 1 game to do so.

In theory it maintains the crowd throughout. Just that inbetween the 2 games, there's a complete changeover.

Only issue with this is that to get the 2 thirds cleared, you need a longer changeover, and in doing so, those in for the double header may leave as '**** this wait'

The double header has to stay. It's part of what is unique about the event.

Regional games, clearing Adelaide Oval after each game and spreading the fixture out over more days are all good suggestions but each one effects what was good about the event from a interstate point of view.

The double header has to stay. It's part of what is unique about the event.

Regional games, clearing Adelaide Oval after each game and spreading the fixture out over more days are all good suggestions but each one effects what was good about the event from a interstate point of view.

You could say everyone has to be there by quarter time of first game or they dont get let in. That'll hurry 'em up and fill the crowd early.

Or ... play the "marquee" game first. More likely to hang around for a 2nd, less lustrous fixture? It's a puzzler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Gather Round 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back