Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Remove this Banner Ad

You clearly have no idea how stacked against non Vic sides the competition really is.
It isn't so stacked that you don't make finals in 14 years or win the odd away game. Might seriously be something to do with the actual Gold Coast, a history of clubs failing and folding. At least United and Blaze made finals before folding.

Absolute joke. They haven't improved one bit from last year. They will try to say they have, but they haven't. Completely toothless away from home, and more importantly, in big games.

No quick fix for this. They need at least 10+ of their players to pull their finger out and start actually fighting to win when things get tough. It's always the same with the Gold Coast, the eternal work in progress.
I would argue that they have been generally performing a bit better at home, but yeah, when you look at their away record. I think overall you are right. They have no improved as a footy club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is the talent they have overrated? They all seem like downhill skiiers except for Rowell (who needs to shed some of his bulk imo). I think last year's acadamy players will all be very good but the prior talent on the list isn't as good as everyone thinks

It's all between the ears for mine.

How can you be so good at home but a useless rabble away.

The away record has become a gorilla on there backs now.

There going to have to spend the off-season looking at what they are doing when they get on a plane.

And if they need to use different methods fly a day earlier or later for example.

WTF? What kind of a meaningless observation is that?
You could say "They are still young" in any of the year's they've existed.
It's not meaningless, young teams on average are inconsistent and don't achieve much. Given time this same group in two years won't be bad.

You could say that and be making a correct observation about why they've lacked success. The job is to stick to the task and don't panic like most perpetually rebuilding teams do. People expecting them to be more advanced because they were also young 10 years ago isn't living in reality.

I really do wonder how their lack of leadership in the first 5 or so years is affecting them now.

Tassie should be taking note and go for a few playing coaches like GWS.

McDonald, Cornes, Brogan, and Power looked to have set far better foundations than Gaz, Bock, Brennan and Harbrow (?).

I know GWS had more concessions and a few other signings, but clearly went with a more developmental mindset.

Last edited:
It’s almost like winning away when you play away every second week is a lot more difficult than it’s made out to be by supporters of clubs that hardly play away yet treat THEIR away games to Perth as “the hardest road trip in footy” They literally say this over and over - like we don’t fly that and more…..

Thea amount of science and mental conditioning that has gone into the Eagles and Dockers knowledge base over 40 years in how to train kids to play well away - the experiments into how many days to go before so you’ve adjusted to the timezones and so you don’t get injuries from being cramped in planes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back