Will a Geelong-Sydney Grand Final happen in 2024? What is the most likely matchup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, now shooo

It's a thread about Geelong that maybe we're interested in having decent adult discussion. Something you're never interested in. Shoo yourself you ignorant, time wasting dip sh!t.

Last edited:

I think you mean *develop talent. “Gifted” better describes father/son.
Hawkins and Bews are the only father sons on our list, and the only father sons we had in our 2022 premiership side.
Neither of them are in our best team any more, and both are likely to retire at the end of the year.

We’ve gone out in straight sets only once in like 15 years.

Teams like Lions, Dees, Hawks have done it multiple times.
We have a great record in Semi Finals.

I mean; you could still lose a semi final this year regardless? What was the finals record in The decade before before 2022? I don’t think he was having a dig at Geelong saying they go out in straight sets every year, just a prediction.

I think this year with the randomness & ability of teams ranked 5th to 10th to have a random peak game it’s a good year for a straight sets team. Injuries likely to dictate which team it is. If Stewart or Danger go down in finals it’s not a bad call.

Dangerfield being a premiership captain we will never hear the end of it. What a let-down from 2023. 2 blowouts in 3 years won't be a good look for footy. Sick of Geelong and Sydney up there.

Dangerfield being a premiership captain we will never hear the end of it. What a let-down from 2023. 2 blowouts in 3 years won't be a good look for footy. Sick of Geelong and Sydney up there.

Far out whether Geelong are involved at all or on the winning or losing end is it really that big of a deal? 'Blowout' GF matches also occurred in 2021, 2019 and 2014. To some extent 2015 and 2017 also. Sport still seems to be doing ok.

Last edited:
Don't think we are a GF side. When we play our best sure, but not strong enough in the middle.

I reckon we'll finish top 4, but bow out in the finals. Finishing 13th last year gave us a pretty easy draw.
Agree with you.
It’s really a sign of a weak year though.

I have Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood and Carlton as likely grand finalists.

Geez it would be a shocker if clubs like Essendon, Port, Melbourne or Gold Coast make it but such is the year.

Agree with you.
It’s really a sign of a weak year though.

I have Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood and Carlton as likely grand finalists.

Geez it would be a shocker if clubs like Essendon, Port, Melbourne or Gold Coast make it but such is the year.
Pies aren't even making finals unfortunately

My categories of flag likelihood
Sydney
Carlton/Brisbane
Fremantle/Geelong/GWS
Essendon/Melbourne/Port/Hawthorn/Bulldogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies aren't even making finals unfortunately

My categories of flag likelihood
Sydney
Carlton/Brisbane
Fremantle/Geelong/GWS
Essendon/Melbourne/Port/Hawthorn/Bulldogs
Geez I hope it doesn’t get past your second tier.
Would eb a bit of a stain on the year if others in that 3-4 tier nab a flag.

If you could get the GF to be played at GMHBA would you do it?
Nah.

Wins at the MCG count for twice as much if you're not a tenant. It's just a shame that we usually play Collingwood there before the grand final - '07, '09, '22 in those premiership years.

Geelong, as the only team not to play finals (well, there was one...) at its home stadium, has claimed 4 premierships this century. You can't beat that.

Will Geelong get home finals this year at GMHBA, at least against non Victorian sides?
Only chance is if Geelong finishes fifth or sixth and draws GWS or Gold Coast in an elimination final. Even then it is doubtful unless there is a 2013 like situation with multiple week one finals at the MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will a Geelong-Sydney Grand Final happen in 2024? What is the most likely matchup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back