white_noise

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers
Been down and had a look at a few training sessions lately. Their seems to be about 25-30 boys training at the moment which is a good sign of commitment for this early in the campaign.

One thing I have noticed which has been previously mentioned is the size of the boys :eek: A good 75% of them must not have done anything in the brief off season other then hit the weights. Coming close to assuming that player size will not be a huge issue in season 2011.

Karmichael Hunt is really impressing me. Very vocal out on the track and seems to have a fair amount of respect amongst his peers. His commitment I believe is second to none at the club, with that statement only solidified by the fact he is constantly the last one off the oval at training, regularly from what I have seen staying back with Zac Smith to work one on one on their kicking skills. Despite maybe lacking a little penetration in his kicking I think all other vital components are coming into place, and most of you will be pleased to know he has shed a few kilos and is down to a more suitable playing weight.

Zac Smith is improving a lot too. His fitness is superb, and seems to be able to run all day which is a good sign for the young ruckman. Body size has dramatically increased since 2010 season, and I expect he will be one of the vital cogs in the GC Suns machine next year

For anyone that is interested training for the next 2 weeks I have been told is at Merrimac oval (Broadbeach Cats) at 9:30am Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Come down, have a look and get to know some of your 2011 Gold Coast Suns :thumbsu:

I'll post some more detailed stuff in a few weeks when the entire list is training :)

Nathan Ablett back at training.......Now with more hair. Looking as fit and committed as ever aswell :thumbsu:

Also good to see Charlie Dixon on the track.

Only a couple more weeks til we see all the boys running around like headless chooks in 120% Humidity! It was crazy this morning - A fair change from any players that may come from say, I dont know....The Geelong area?

Cheers for the reports :thumbsu: Keep them coming for those of us who can't make it down to watch training. I'm keen to hear how Josh Toy, Liam Patrick, Rex Liddy, Mav Weller, David Swallow and Hayden Jolly are going if they've hit the track yet.

I can tell you Liam Patrick is looking good. Unique kicking action but I reckon he is going to make an impressive HFF or similar. Still a little on the small side, however quite a few players with the indigenous backgrounds throughout the afl seem to be on the smaller side and are more then capable of standing up to bigger men :thumbsu:

I think he is going to be one of the players to get attention pretty quickly next year.

I'll try and have a look at the other players next time im down there :)

I can tell you Liam Patrick is looking good. Unique kicking action but I reckon he is going to make an impressive HFF or similar. Still a little on the small side, however quite a few players with the indigenous backgrounds throughout the afl seem to be on the smaller side and are more then capable of standing up to bigger men :thumbsu:

I think he is going to be one of the players to get attention pretty quickly next year.

I'll try and have a look at the other players next time im down there :)

Cheers WN :thumbsu: Sounds good. Those legs look like toothpicks but act like steel springs. I don't think he needs to put too much more weight on - looks wiry fit like your Jurrahs and Darryl Whites. Has he got a leap and some zip off the mark or what :eek: Seems to generally weight his passes to his leading forwards beautifully from that youtube package, putting it to their advantage most times whilst running at full tilt. Looking forward to seeing him play in the AFL, what an excitement machine. I can see the headline "Carlton Struck by Lightning at Carrara - Lajamanu Lightning":D

Josh Toy will just be finishing up his studies in vic, won't he?
Yeah forgot about that - really look forward to seeing how Josh goes this year. That kick of his is a real weapon a la Josh Drummond. Will fit into a similar role beautifully I reckon, although I recall someone saying that he is looking to push more into the midfield?

Mav Weller - Natural born leader it seems. Great on the track and I see him as a potential future captain of an AFL club. Hopefully our own. I'm not sure if he is as young as most of the kids but he definitely has the body of a 24 year old

Joel Tippett - Not to sure about this young lad at the moment. If it's true he is battling with Nablett and Crawford for the spot at the moment he seems to be favourite for the position of team waterboy. Really struggling, but early days and lets hope he turns this all around.

Charlie Dixon - Was only at training briefly today. Had a chat with him whilst he was leaving, apparently he is in rehab for a back injury. He had a few issues with his hammy last year, I hope they are not too related. He is a gun player when fit, and I would HATE to see another Scott Gumbleton situation

Daniel Harris - Probably one of the most respected players in the team. Most likely because at the ripe old age of about 26 last year he was the grandfather wisdom amongst the players. Worked well in the drills this morning, always offering up lots of encouragement to the young lads. Spent the second half of training doing Laps though. Look out for him on win news tonight as he was doing an interview with the news crew at the end of training.

Campbell Brown - Don't know to much about him, but he is working hard and has already fitted in well. Fitness may be an issue at the moment for him though.

Nathan Krakouer and Jarred Brennan - Resumed training today and pretty much did nothing but laps. But good to see them there never the less.

Highlight of the training session was towards the end when an experienced group of boys ( Including Browny, Harro, Brennan, Mav and some of the coaches) were having pot shots from about 30m into an open bin. There were a few good efforts but none of them were seriously threatening to make the shot. . . That was until one player by the name of Karmichael Hunt stepped up. First shot, swish, whoosh nothing but net (or wheely bin). Whilst the boys were trying to control their laughter and shock K-Hunt calmly picked up another pill to replicate his first effort. . . Unfortunately this one hit the top of the bin on the full, bounced off the rim twice and rolled the other way. . . Oh well No body is perfect. Not even our Rugby League Superstar :cool:

Love the updates brotha!
Highlight of the training session was towards the end when an experienced group of boys ( Including Browny, Harro, Brennan, Mav and some of the coaches) were having pot shots from about 30m into an open bin. There were a few good efforts but none of them were seriously threatening to make the shot. . . That was until one player by the name of Karmichael Hunt stepped up. First shot, swish, whoosh nothing but net (or wheely bin). Whilst the boys were trying to control their laughter and shock K-Hunt calmly picked up another pill to replicate his first effort. . . :
I'm thinking Gary would have given him a run for his money (2:48)
[youtube]tnIuzeVPOE0[/youtube]

Great report white noise , keep them coming :thumbsu: , seen Stephen May at training yet , would like to know if hes at that stage just yet , would love to know what Bluey has in mind for our forward line structure.

Mav Weller - Natural born leader it seems. Great on the track and I see him as a potential future captain of an AFL club. Hopefully our own. I'm not sure if he is as young as most of the kids but he definitely has the body of a 24 year old

Great to hear! He is as young as the others 17 year old recruits from last year too. How is fellow Tassie boy Luke Russell going?

Highlight of the training session was towards the end when an experienced group of boys ( Including Browny, Harro, Brennan, Mav and some of the coaches) were having pot shots from about 30m into an open bin. There were a few good efforts but none of them were seriously threatening to make the shot. . . That was until one player by the name of Karmichael Hunt stepped up. First shot, swish, whoosh nothing but net (or wheely bin). Whilst the boys were trying to control their laughter and shock K-Hunt calmly picked up another pill to replicate his first effort. . . Unfortunately this one hit the top of the bin on the full, bounced off the rim twice and rolled the other way. . . Oh well No body is perfect. Not even our Rugby League Superstar :cool:

LOL - Classic :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was talking to Em Quayle the other day, and she said while she was on the GC she watched the Suns train and Josh Caddy just absolutely tore it apart.

Said he was so competitive and just wanted to win everything.

Was most impressed with him. Reckons he is one bloke you must get in your DreamTeam.

Yeah that's right -
If you come in from the basketball stadium entrance and park just behind the building you will see a few soccer fields to your left (from where you enter). We train generally on the far oval at the end. Just look for the group with all the SUNS training singlets on and you can't go wrong :thumbsu::p

Remove this Banner Ad

GC SUNS Training updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back