GDFL 2009 Season - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have spoke with ric and his keen to stay on as a player and he said aswell as us that it's time to get fresh ideas in, we must admit ric has been great about everything all he wants is for the club to be successfull and if it meens getting a new coach and maybe a couple of new players to top up our list that's what we will do. We have great depth obviously with our reserves and 3 or 4 under 18s ready to take the step next year.

Who do you think will win this years medal?
who r clubs best chances?

Christian Hyland

I agree although he has never really polled well in league B & F awards. Macleod, O'Neill & Curtis could steal his votes. I'm tipping C.Trotter from Inverleigh with Hyland a close 2nd.

I wouldn't be suprised however if someone from Weribee (Cuthbert, Burke) or Corio (R or B O'Toole) won it. Those type of players stand out in underperforming teams.

Without stating the obvious, it all depends on how the umpires see it. Take Curtis from Thomson last year as a prime example. No league votes yet won the club B & F.

Shaun Lewis is another one to consider.

proven vote getter and has been pretty consistent for the Panthers this year.

very good chance to go back to back IMO.

What about Skrobolak? He would have to be a huge chance, big man taking apart games?

Yeah Skrob & Riccardi are interesting ones.

Both have missed quite a few games but when they've played they are every chance of polling the 3 votes.

All depends on how the ump's see it I guess? I know it's a cliche' but the whole big man not getting votes theory might come into play.

I'd say Skrob would be a deserving winner though. Closter & Chamberlain should be poll a few votes for the Eagles as well

Yeah Skrob & Riccardi are interesting ones.

Both have missed quite a few games but when they've played they are every chance of polling the 3 votes.

All depends on how the ump's see it I guess? I know it's a cliche' but the whole big man not getting votes theory might come into play.

I'd say Skrob would be a deserving winner though. Closter & Chamberlain should be poll a few votes for the Eagles as well
Skrob no chance. Umps dont like him and that means they wont vote for him.

IMO the award is becoming irrelevant. Sean Lewis, although a good player wasn't the best in his team let alone the best in the league and the fact that the clubs voted completely the other way to the umps show the disconnection (e.g. Curtis). At least when Rick, Fastuca and Trotter were monopolising it the umps were in agreement with the wider populace.

Re: GDFL 2009 Season

Now that all this is cleared, does anyone want to have a crack at a team of the year and Grand Final teams with winner, i have tried earlier in the year but i am finding it hard without a lot of knowledge, although i have a few names i think should be in the team.

R.Closter (East) yes
C.Hyland (Thom) no
J.Huybens (Inv) no
D.Holzfeind (B.P.H) dont think so
S.Gallagher (Belm) not sure
Z.Hickleton (Inv) yes
L.Mahoney (Belm) yes
S.Lewis (B.P.H) yes
A.Woods (Bann) yes
D.Perkins (Bann) no
J.Mcloed (Thom) yes
A.Skrobalak (East) yes
L.Clifford (Corio) no
B.O'Toole (Corio) no
A.Burke (Werr) no
S.Calbert (Werr) no

By form i'd say East V Bell Post, I think Bell Post have the players that will step up in finals and may knock off East.
dodgy effort by myself, left our first second and third in the best and fairest

No Holzfiend in the team of the year. Nearly won the Whitley Medal.

Marcus Forbes in best 22 players in the GDFL despite playing 9 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Holzfiend in the team of the year. Nearly won the Whitley Medal.

Marcus Forbes in best 22 players in the GDFL despite playing 9 games.

The coaches decided on the team of the year. Does anyone agree that it's a fantastic idea?
It gave the best and most unbiased team seen in years. (re: same players making it every year regardless of the seasons they've had). And any player to have made it would be pretty happy i would've thought.

The whitley is judged week by week by 3 people nobody knows and who have never played the game. The fact Holzy went well in the whitley means nothing. No disrespect to him or the winner Jace Kelly. But most club B&F winners would have made the side.

The coaches decided on the team of the year. Does anyone agree that it's a fantastic idea?
It gave the best and most unbiased team seen in years. (re: same players making it every year regardless of the seasons they've had). And any player to have made it would be pretty happy i would've thought.

The whitley is judged week by week by 3 people nobody knows and who have never played the game. The fact Holzy went well in the whitley means nothing. No disrespect to him or the winner Jace Kelly. But most club B&F winners would have made the side.

Couldn't agree more about the coaches picking the side. Better judges, IMO. Was a couple of glaring ommissions, with Sean Gallagher and Spud Hyland not making the side (again, my opinion).
As for the Whitley medal, once again you are spot on. 2 examples stood out for me and both from the games we played against Corio. Game 1, Billy Nicholls kicked 10 and put on what can only be described as a pure football clinic, yet failed to poll a vote. 2nd time, Belmont won by 7 goals with everybody at the ground in awe of the performance of Gags, yet he didn't poll a vote. I'm sure other clubs have similar experiences but it is the system we have and nobody has been able to come up with anything better of fairer, so we just have to live with it.

Couldn't agree more about the coaches picking the side. Better judges, IMO. Was a couple of glaring ommissions, with Sean Gallagher and Spud Hyland not making the side (again, my opinion).
As for the Whitley medal, once again you are spot on. 2 examples stood out for me and both from the games we played against Corio. Game 1, Billy Nicholls kicked 10 and put on what can only be described as a pure football clinic, yet failed to poll a vote. 2nd time, Belmont won by 7 goals with everybody at the ground in awe of the performance of Gags, yet he didn't poll a vote. I'm sure other clubs have similar experiences but it is the system we have and nobody has been able to come up with anything better of fairer, so we just have to live with it.
gags should have been in the team of the year instead of m Forbes who was poor in some of the games he played, very overrated. Gags gives 100% all of the time. And as for the umpires, i can think of one game i saw that the umpies were ok, but i forgot which game. Generally poor. Umpires tend to give votes to whoever played ok in the last quarter, how many do you see writing best down at the end of each quarter.

An alternate to the umps giving the votes is that the job be given to timekeepers or that each club has a designated person who does it for them for the year. What would then happen is that they would sit with the umps after the game and by consensus (i.e. majority rule) decide the 1, 2 & 3. This would provide a fair indication of who performed well on the day, allow the umps to concentrate on the primary task and ensure that people who are in touch with the local league can assist in the selections.

The only problem then is familial bias e.g. at East KO is the timekeeper therefore Sean or Mick would get votes every week.

An alternate to the umps giving the votes is that the job be given to timekeepers or that each club has a designated person who does it for them for the year. What would then happen is that they would sit with the umps after the game and by consensus (i.e. majority rule) decide the 1, 2 & 3. This would provide a fair indication of who performed well on the day, allow the umps to concentrate on the primary task and ensure that people who are in touch with the local league can assist in the selections.

The only problem then is familial bias e.g. at East KO is the timekeeper therefore Sean or Mick would get votes every week.

Yep. That would be a job I would trust Coggsy with:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back