GDFL 2009 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corio would be the best for promoting juniors into seniors. There wouldn't be any club around with as many juniors that played at a club that are still playing seniors at that club, true some do leave for a year or 2 but 90% always return and they all support functions because we do have the best functions going around.

Yeah, I get that DEVILS. But there really wasn't a need to post it twice:D

That's the trouble though. Clubs are recruiting far and wide these days, and players will only travel for the right amount of coin. They bring nothing with them but an empty wallet, which once you fill it for them, they hop in their new car and drive off, only to be seen again on the training track. If you get one with a bit of decency they might appear for both training sessions. You can put anything you want in a contract. The simple fact is that if these players don't get their money as soon as they want it, they simply move on to somewhere else. I think this highlights the need to really look after your juniors and hope like hell they want to put something back into the club that has nurtured them from day one. Clubs like Inverleigh and Nth. Geelong constantly promote their kids and will survive long into the future. Other clubs are finally catching on to this theory. In recent years we've seen Thomson, Werribee and Belmont give some of their juniors a real crack at senior footy and will reap the longterm benefits of this:thumbsu:

Yabba, I agree with and like to hear your thoughts on most things. Pardon my ingnorance but which GDFL club do you support?.

Yabba, I agree with and like to hear your thoughts on most things. Pardon my ingnorance but which GDFL club do you support?.

PUNCHY, to pin down which club I support is not an easy thing to do. I have spent the last 4 or 5 years attending various GDFL games after my career as a bush hack was cruelly ended when a particurlarly nasty strain of herpes ran through the country town I was playing in (she has since left the town). If I had to pick a side in the GDFL, I would certainly lean towards your boys at Belmont. Having looked at the history, it is always great to see a club climb off the canvas and take it up to the big boys of the comp. The fact that your club is still around must be testament to the quality of people who run the place and to actually win a flag in the midst of all this is a monumental achievement. I must say that BPH are also among my favorites, simply because they haven't got any silverware in the cabinet yet and it would be great for the comp for all teams to have won it atleast once. Inverleighs rise from the ashes is also a great story, and I can only hope they learnt from the mistakes of years gone by.:thumbsu:

Strong Juniors = Strong Club, Simple.

Just think who the weak clubs around Geelong are and for the most part they have weak juniors. And the opposite applies think of the strong clubs, they have strong juniors.

I think most clubs are waking up to this.

i heard 2day that moreland is staying at the hill newtown could not get him a job. also heard berg is of 2 corio and a few anakie boys heading back 2 lara

That's the trouble though. Clubs are recruiting far and wide these days, and players will only travel for the right amount of coin. They bring nothing with them but an empty wallet, which once you fill it for them, they hop in their new car and drive off, only to be seen again on the training track. If you get one with a bit of decency they might appear for both training sessions. You can put anything you want in a contract. The simple fact is that if these players don't get their money as soon as they want it, they simply move on to somewhere else. I think this highlights the need to really look after your juniors and hope like hell they want to put something back into the club that has nurtured them from day one. Clubs like Inverleigh and Nth. Geelong constantly promote their kids and will survive long into the future. Other clubs are finally catching on to this theory. In recent years we've seen Thomson, Werribee and Belmont give some of their juniors a real crack at senior footy and will reap the longterm benefits of this:thumbsu:
I think it depends on who you recruit. Every club has the bloke who plays for the bucks and doesn't add much more but we put up with them becuase they do the job on Saturday. They also have the payed gun who can't do enough and with particular reference to my club I would put the majority of our recent recruits into the second basket.

Everyone bangs on about putting a good junior system in place and promoting them through the ranks but for some clubs this route may not be as viable. For Corio, Inverleigh, North Geelong and others the population demographic of the area supports strong juniors. There are a lot of young families which means a lot of kids and only a few clubs to compete with. For others like East and Thomson the area is filled with older people and for the kids that do exist their are a heap of clubs to choose from therefore you are forced to bring in others.

Corio would be the best for promoting juniors into seniors. There wouldn't be any club around with as many juniors that played at a club that are still playing seniors at that club, true some do leave for a year or 2 but 90% always return and they all support functions because we do have the best functions going around.

I would have had you and Banno in there, DEVILS. As for your functions, they are right up there with the ones at the Lions Den. Already looking forward to the Queens B'day trek to the Devils lair for what always is a great Sunday session:thumbsu:

I think it depends on who you recruit. Every club has the bloke who plays for the bucks and doesn't add much more but we put up with them becuase they do the job on Saturday. They also have the payed gun who can't do enough and with particular reference to my club I would put the majority of our recent recruits into the second basket.

Everyone bangs on about putting a good junior system in place and promoting them through the ranks but for some clubs this route may not be as viable. For Corio, Inverleigh, North Geelong and others the population demographic of the area supports strong juniors. There are a lot of young families which means a lot of kids and only a few clubs to compete with. For others like East and Thomson the area is filled with older people and for the kids that do exist their are a heap of clubs to choose from therefore you are forced to bring in others.

Isn't there 4 or 5 primary schools in the area, Drago? I'm pretty sure Geelong High is also in close proximity (only 1000 or so students go there)! There will always be kids looking for a game but the money to buy players will one day dry up:D

Unfortunately that is the way of the football world now. Loyalty is a word that has been removed from the vocab of many footballers. I don't mean staying at a club all your life, I mean the simple things like staying for a beer after the game (home and away), attending functions, getting involved in the juniors etc. Just doesn't happen enough.

Clayton Trotter is a perfect example, granted he is on good coin, but Trotts is one of only 2 players that have stuck with the club since reforming and is a bloke who along with his family(wife,parents,sister) attend all functions, get involved with the running of the club as well as our junior section. Definately good value for money.

Isn't there 4 or 5 primary schools in the area, Drago? I'm pretty sure Geelong High is also in close proximity (only 1000 or so students go there)! There will always be kids looking for a game but the money to buy players will one day dry up:D

I lived in Newtown, but went to Geelong High, and played a few games at Richmond Crescent due to the fact that most of my mates from school played there. I ended up back at St Mary's, but alot of GHS kids played at East.

i heard 2day that moreland is staying at the hill newtown could not get him a job. also heard berg is of 2 corio and a few anakie boys heading back 2 lara

From what I hear, Newtown got him a apprenticeship, but he quit it after two weeks because he said he wasnt enjoying it....

From what I hear, Newtown got him a apprenticeship, but he quit it after two weeks because he said he wasnt enjoying it....

Your information is incorrect, heard from very good sources he has signed and will don the red and black.
Also bad news to Aaron Broom, wishing him all the the best from tiger land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No 4 fact nowhere near the $ u think mate, came up to play last year but frosty (hoppers coach) put guilt trip on him bout someting. From what i hear anyway mate u arent to bad when it comes to the $.

Broom was told by doctors he can't play again, cutting his playing days short.

Yeah a real shame about Broomy but shows his toughness to play through with that sort of injury. Heard that the hip joint was actually in worse condition than Knucks.

I also heard that Danny Liston will not be at East this year now after his job fell through. Bad luck if thats the case, would have been a great pick up.

Your information is incorrect, heard from very good sources he has signed and will don the red and black.
Also bad news to Aaron Broom, wishing him all the the best from tiger land.

I never said he hadn't signed there. I just heard he quit his apprenticeship they offered.

After finishing last season, I can count 15 signatures with 10 of them being high quality senior players.
Now that this has been noted in the Ablettiser can you add some names and a bio of the recruits that will drag the Blues out of the depths of the ladder. By the way 20 new recruits is a great effort.

Now that this has been noted in the Ablettiser can you add some names and a bio of the recruits that will drag the Blues out of the depths of the ladder. By the way 20 new recruits is a great effort.

Probably 8 new recruits that have never played for Winch and the rest are returning senior players from the past 3 years.
I wont give you a Bio on them because that would be giving too much away. Read the article they are from Assumption College, GV, Ballarat and Melbourne leagues.
Still waiting on a couple more signings too.

Still got a long way to go though, our lowest losing margin was 10 goals last year.

Probably 8 new recruits that have never played for Winch and the rest are returning senior players from the past 3 years.
I wont give you a Bio on them because that would be giving too much away. Read the article they are from Assumption College, GV, Ballarat and Melbourne leagues.

Still got a long way to go though, our lowest losing margin was 10 goals last year.

Looking at the photo in today's Addy, some of the recruits will do some damage to the canteen.... Maybe you do still need Millsy!! 1 pie please :)

Looking at the photo in today's Addy, some of the recruits will do some damage to the canteen.... Maybe you do still need Millsy!! 1 pie please :)

Hasn't Mills gone back to Belmont to coach the 2's, Lion King? Probably be coaching blokes with a bit more talent than he had to work with last year if that is the case!!:D

From assumption college or elsewhere??

McFarlane would be off to Bangkok wouldn't he! Heard he likes it like that maybe though I guess it shows the dedication of the Winch Boy taking on the Kokoda Trail!
Rumour has it Coxon is on day 5 of a detox program! $100 says he will struggle to go the distance!
Pollard was last seen at the AlleyCat Club getting his groin ready for the 09 season and might become a good prospect for senior selection.
Smith was last seen munching on a pie last week after this highly endorsed no bakery policy.
Word alson on the street that the quality of netballers may have dropped off at the Blues which also has several players pursuing other options!
Smith can load the bus tune the bus but is he going to be able to drive the winch bus? Any truth in Scott Mills to become chairman of selectors for the Blues or did he get the nod to run the Belmont canteen?
Premierships aren't won in January boys remember that!

Lucky for Belmont he came home to the Den. Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till its gone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back