Friday
GEELONG WEST v Winchelsea

Saturday
Anakie v THOMSON
Bell Post Hill v BELMONT LIONS
NORTH GEELONG v Inverleigh
EAST GEELONG v Werribee Centrals
CORIO v Bannockburn

Looking forward to this weeks games. We'll have a better idea of where teams are at instead of just hearing about it.

G-West v Winch - Expect a physical contest. Both teams had a year to forget. I cant see West going any better this year, probably worse than last. Their coaching is all over the place. Winch will improve probably 70% on last year. They have recruited aggressively and picked up an even mix of players. Having said that the night games always stay close, I think Winch will jump West early though and go on to win by about 8 goals.

BPH -Belmont - Great match-up first up for both teams. BPH have kept the majority of their list and added a few. Belmont have recruited quite well. Mainly added experience to their line-up. I think BPH will be too much for them first up. It'll take Belmont a few games to get in the swing of things. BPH by 35 points for mine.

East Geelong v Werribee - Once again another test straight up for both teams. East Geelong have had some hype around them for this season. They have picked up quite a few, some young and fresh and others experienced. Rob Chamberlain is a huge return for the club and expect a few very good signings before round 1. Werribee will be on par with Winch in terms of improvement. They'll make the 5 and could easily snatch a top3 berth. Aggressive recruiting, very quick and keen side that play for each other. This will be very tight, East will need some games to gel as will the Centrals. I'll go East by a small margin at home.

Corio v Banno - No love lost here as the last time they played Banno knocked corio off in a final. Admittedly that game should have been won by corio and they'll remember that. Banno have been super quiet, they are always strong and competitive though, especially early in the year.The loss of TMG wont be too bad for them. If you beat him you won the game generally because they were so reliant and one-dimensional. His loss will make them more unpredictable. Expect the bulk of their scoring to come from the midfield and Naylon will go deeper. Corio have added a couple and lost very little, another year together will help however they'll want their older guns to stay fit. Tough, Tough call. Corio by a kick

Inverleigh v North - Over in the sticks they've been quiiet but i think Inva have improved again. Their kids are a year older and their confidence would be pretty high. They start like a house on fire as do most kids, but they'll need to sustain it for the entire year if they want to play finals. North seem to have remained stagnate for a couple of years now, and even though they added a big name coach I doubt it will have any impact on their results. Inva to win very comfortably in this one.

Anakie v Thomson - Anakie, well they have copped it left, right and centre so far this year. Completely written off and from what i gather for good reason. We'll see how tough they really are this year but their character as a whole club is questionable to say the least. They'll lose big time in some games this year and this probably wont be an exception. Thomson may be slight sliders, should still play in September but i expect them to take up spots 4 or 5. They'll be 1 from 1 after this round though. 60+

Would love some thoughts on these predictions and other peoples picks.

Looking forward to this weeks games. We'll have a better idea of where teams are at instead of just hearing about it.

G-West v Winch - Expect a physical contest. Both teams had a year to forget. I cant see West going any better this year, probably worse than last. Their coaching is all over the place. Winch will improve probably 70% on last year. They have recruited aggressively and picked up an even mix of players. Having said that the night games always stay close, I think Winch will jump West early though and go on to win by about 8 goals.

BPH -Belmont - Great match-up first up for both teams. BPH have kept the majority of their list and added a few. Belmont have recruited quite well. Mainly added experience to their line-up. I think BPH will be too much for them first up. It'll take Belmont a few games to get in the swing of things. BPH by 35 points for mine.

East Geelong v Werribee - Once again another test straight up for both teams. East Geelong have had some hype around them for this season. They have picked up quite a few, some young and fresh and others experienced. Rob Chamberlain is a huge return for the club and expect a few very good signings before round 1. Werribee will be on par with Winch in terms of improvement. They'll make the 5 and could easily snatch a top3 berth. Aggressive recruiting, very quick and keen side that play for each other. This will be very tight, East will need some games to gel as will the Centrals. I'll go East by a small margin at home.

Corio v Banno - No love lost here as the last time they played Banno knocked corio off in a final. Admittedly that game should have been won by corio and they'll remember that. Banno have been super quiet, they are always strong and competitive though, especially early in the year.The loss of TMG wont be too bad for them. If you beat him you won the game generally because they were so reliant and one-dimensional. His loss will make them more unpredictable. Expect the bulk of their scoring to come from the midfield and Naylon will go deeper. Corio have added a couple and lost very little, another year together will help however they'll want their older guns to stay fit. Tough, Tough call. Corio by a kick

Inverleigh v North - Over in the sticks they've been quiiet but i think Inva have improved again. Their kids are a year older and their confidence would be pretty high. They start like a house on fire as do most kids, but they'll need to sustain it for the entire year if they want to play finals. North seem to have remained stagnate for a couple of years now, and even though they added a big name coach I doubt it will have any impact on their results. Inva to win very comfortably in this one.

Anakie v Thomson - Anakie, well they have copped it left, right and centre so far this year. Completely written off and from what i gather for good reason. We'll see how tough they really are this year but their character as a whole club is questionable to say the least. They'll lose big time in some games this year and this probably wont be an exception. Thomson may be slight sliders, should still play in September but i expect them to take up spots 4 or 5. They'll be 1 from 1 after this round though. 60+

can't really fault you there, agree with basically all your tips and your reasons are pretty solid.

East Geelong
Corio
Bannockburn
BPH
Thomson

Belmont
Werribee
Inverleigh
Winch
North Geelong
Anakie
Blue West

would be my prediction for the ladder at this stage (although i'd say the same 5 making the 5 again two seasons in a row would be a rare thing) but right now i don't think anybody will drop out.. will be easier to make a prediction a few rounds in. the same 5 should make the finals IMO but interestingly i don't think either of last years grand finalists can win it. East, Corio or Bannockburn for me at the present moment

Pretty spot on i rekon!

Winch to break the drought

Bell Post by 5 goals

East by 2 Goals (Match of the round for mine)

Corio to start their 2009 campaign with a narrow win over Banno

Inva to start off with a win, North will fight it out though closer than people might think.

Thompson to be on top after round one with a nice percentage!

banno have signed 3 former drysdale/forrest players. m.foot c.taylor b.wombell. all in there mid 30's. why pay good money for guys that are at there end of there football playing days when they have such good juniors. add them 2 other recruits in riccardi, drake, bliss, fisher all in there mid 30's

correct there mate bannock always strong in juniors they shouldnt be paying these mercinares to play for 2 years when there young blokes will be there for life not a good thing reward the locals first for there hard work :thumbsu:

Stupid comments. Banno have and continue to promote and reward their juniors and give them senior experience just about more than any other club in the gdfl. Last year Hobbs, Fatulla and Watt all played multiple senior football games while eligible for U/18s and no doubt they'll be playing senior football this year also.

New signings are Foot, Taylor and Eddy not Wombell. Foot is a ruckman and the other 2 are key position players. Mercinares they're not as from my knowledge of local football Foot and Taylor have only ever played for Drysdale and Forrest and Eddy only with Drysdale. If the club doesn't have the juniors to fill those positions what are you expecting them to do? Play a junior flanker out of position or perhaps play someone clearly not up to senior football? Riccardi and Drake are very good solid on ballers and anyone that saw Bannos semi final against Thomson last year would probably agree it was an area they were smashed in.

sorry i was told wombell. eddy played at forrest he played in there flag. i see your point. but i would play a kid then play guys that are only going there 4 1 reason $$$$. and that are in there mid 30's

correct there mate bannock always strong in juniors they shouldnt be paying these mercinares to play for 2 years when there young blokes will be there for life not a good thing reward the locals first for there hard work :thumbsu:

Stupid comments. Banno have and continue to promote and reward their juniors and give them senior experience just about more than any other club in the gdfl. Last year Hobbs, Fatulla and Watt all played multiple senior football games while eligible for U/18s and no doubt they'll be playing senior football this year also.

New signings are Foot, Taylor and Eddy not Wombell. Foot is a ruckman and the other 2 are key position players. Mercinares they're not as from my knowledge of local football Foot and Taylor have only ever played for Drysdale and Forrest and Eddy only with Drysdale. If the club doesn't have the juniors to fill those positions what are you expecting them to do? Play a junior flanker out of position or perhaps play someone clearly not up to senior football? Riccardi and Drake are very good solid on ballers and anyone that saw Bannos semi final against Thomson last year would probably agree it was an area they were smashed in.

sorry i was told wombell. eddy played at forrest he played in there flag. i see your point. but i would play a kid then play guys that are only going there 4 1 reason $$$$. and that are in there mid 30's

that is right mate spot on :thumbsu:

sorry i was told wombell. eddy played at forrest he played in there flag. i see your point. but i would play a kid then play guys that are only going there 4 1 reason $$$$. and that are in there mid 30's[/quote]

They're mates with a number of guys out at Bannock and want to play footy together, theyre not going for big $$$$$$. Might be in early 30s but as Ive said before this is the gdfl not the gfl and as long as they can still play the game and are not taking a good young kids spot away from them then good on the club.

BPH have done the same thing this year with reruiting Venner, in fact just about all other clubs do. In 2007 Haammi and Danny Warren both in their 30s helped Belmont win a flag. Last year Vardy was recruited to Thomson and helped win them a flag with other 30 year olds.

David Bain your a Lara man and with your clubs recent recruiting efforts in the last few years spending big $$$$$$ and getting absolutely nothing in return as I said maybe you should worry about your own backyard.

Re: Geelong and District Football League 2

2 big names 2 watch out 4 boys from inverleigh dave peel and adam muir playin there 1st senior games this week :)

Tips for Round 1

Friday
GEELONG WEST v Winchelsea

Saturday
Anakie v THOMSON
Bell Post Hill v BELMONT LIONS
NORTH GEELONG v Inverleigh
EAST GEELONG v Werribee Centrals
CORIO v Bannockburn

Round One Tips
Winch v West

Thomson v Anakie
Bell Post Hill v Belmont
Inverleigh v North
East v Werribee
Banno v Corio

winch will finally break their drought and it will be good to see the club on the winners list again.

Thomson got destroyed by 20 goals, expect a fall from grace. East Geelong are the team to beat

Bourkey, i think you'll find Thomson got smacked by Barwon Heads in a praccy matct at Skilled at the start of 08 yet won the flag. Wallace has said in every year he's won a flag, be it SOuth Barwon or anywhere, he's never won a prac match.

Beware the Tigers.

Ryan Closter has been cleared from Lara to East this week, he will dominate;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round One Tips
Winch v West

Thomson v Anakie
Bell Post Hill v Belmont
Inverleigh v North
East v Werribee
Banno v Corio

winch will finally break their drought and it will be good to see the club on the winners list again.

West will beat Winch. May be a fair size crowd
Thomson will absolutely destroy Anakie
BPH will begin their quest for a 1st ever flag by outclassing Belmont at Windy Hill
Inverleigh will beat North, which will be terrible for all of us Big Footy readers, as it will bring all of the donkeys out of the shed proclaiming that Inverleigh are on their way to a premiership
East will be challenged early by Werribee, who could be the suprise packet of the season, before overcoming them fairly comfortably
Corio will defeat Banno in the Superrules Cup:D I think predictions that either of these sides are too old to cause any major headaches are way of the mark. Can't see them winning a flag, but they will definately shape the final 5

Anyone heard Bill Nichols out for a couple of months with a knee injury? Was flying, big loss, if true.

watched corio the other week and they will be lucky to make the five,bannockburn will win by at least five goals

Yeah thats the word getting around about Billy and he wasn't playing in the praccy match a few weeks ago. Also have heard that Fergusson wont play this week but could all be ducks and drakes. Bills a tough prick and could play through if its not too bad.

Write off the Devils at your own peril, practice matches are just that. As I said I've watched them and I have no doubt unless they have a horror run of injuries they'll be there again.

A very good get for East. But for Ryan himself, a big fall from grace. From Werribee, to Lara, to East! Next step, retirement!

ryan told us he will not play again after he broke his jaw. if ryan plays every game he will win the league b and f. only thing is he gets alot of injurys

ryan told us he will not play again after he broke his jaw. if ryan plays every game he will win the league b and f. only thing is he gets alot of injurys

I know St Albans chased him pretty hard but ended going to East through Skrobolak (both being from Bacchus Marsh) & his brother being an East person also.

I seen him play a couple of times and more than cut it in the GFL, will be interesting to see how he goes at East, I'd say if he plays 95% of the games he will go very close to being the Whitley medalist.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back