Club Focus Geelong 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

The point is that our list has two stars and everyone else is either over the hill, good-average footballers, or kids
Stengle was offered 750k to St Kilda and he doesn't strike me as the type who would sign for less out of love.
You took over a Bowes contract that nobody would touch and nobody knows anything about how it was done.
Blicsavs must be on excellent money
Dangerfield would still be on excellent money
You managed to prize Henry out Collingwood
And you are about to add another 2 million if you get Smith and Oliver.

Stengle was offered 750k to St Kilda and he doesn't strike me as the type who would sign for less out of love.
You took over a Bowes contract that nobody would touch and nobody knows anything about how it was done.
Blicsavs must be on excellent money
Dangerfield would still be on excellent money
You managed to prize Henry out Collingwood
And you are about to add another 2 million if you get Smith and Oliver.
Stengle stayed with a coaching group that supported him which, watching subsequent events unfold, makes sense

Bowes contract was spread out over more years. Not rocket surgery.

Blitz and Danger are 34.

We lost Hawkins, Tuohy, Rohan, Parfitt and we didn't do any trades last year except we lost Rata and Isaac Smith retired. Next year we probably lose Stanley, C Guthrie, Duncan, Blitz and Bews

That's 11 senior players in 3 years. I think I would be dumb if we didn't have cap space.

Last edited:

We lost Hawkins, Tuohy, Rohan, Parfitt and we didn't do any trades last year except we lost Rata and Isaac Smith retired. Next year we probably lose Stanley, C Guthrie, Duncan, Blitz and Bews

That's 11 senior players in 3 years. I think I would be dumb if we didn't have cap space.
But they like everyone we are told took /take unders .
The main two players coming in ain’t taking unders by anyones matrix .

But they like everyone we are told took /take unders .
The main two players coming in ain’t taking unders by anyones matrix .

Yeah, it's uncharted territory for Geelong. Assuming we complete the trade for Smith and pick-up the bulk (at least) of Oliver's contract, maybe we're still fine for the next couple of years. But Holmes and Stengle got paid for their form with long-term commitments this year. SDK is going to want to be paid next year, as are a stack of players expected to be our core for the next 5+ years (Dempsey, O.Henry, Humphries, Neale, Close, Mannagh, O'Sullivan, just to name a few). And along with a couple of the more speculative types like Knevitt and Conway, we hope they do get PAID, just as Stengle and Holmes did, because that means they've kicked on with their form. And if you're paying Smith and Oliver all this money, maybe you can't pay someone else.

On a semi-related note, another concern I have with doing this is - what does it mean for the likes of Tanner Bruhn and Jhye Clark? Is it giving them a ceiling, by saying that our star mids for the next 2-3 years are Dangerfield, Holmes, Smith and Oliver and everyone else is the supporting cast? Because I'd like to think that Bruhn and Clark's potential is quite a bit higher than that.

Yeah, it's uncharted territory for Geelong. Assuming we complete the trade for Smith and pick-up the bulk (at least) of Oliver's contract, maybe we're still fine for the next couple of years. But Holmes and Stengle got paid for their form with long-term commitments this year. SDK is going to want to be paid next year, as are a stack of players expected to be our core for the next 5+ years (Dempsey, O.Henry, Humphries, Neale, Close, Mannagh, O'Sullivan, just to name a few). And along with a couple of the more speculative types like Knevitt and Conway, we hope they do get PAID, just as Stengle and Holmes did, because that means they've kicked on with their form. And if you're paying Smith and Oliver all this money, maybe you can't pay someone else.

On a semi-related note, another concern I have with doing this is - what does it mean for the likes of Tanner Bruhn and Jhye Clark? Is it giving them a ceiling, by saying that our star mids for the next 2-3 years are Dangerfield, Holmes, Smith and Oliver and everyone else is the supporting cast? Because I'd like to think that Bruhn and Clark's potential is quite a bit higher than that.
Just my opinion on the bolded. Bruhn kicked on this year, Clark I welcomed to the club but have yet to see the potential that others do.

Glad to hear Carny will be staying in the big smoke ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Geelong 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back