Geelong 6 - What would you do?

Remove this Banner Ad

johnson - 1 more year
stokes - delist
bartel - 1more year
mackie - delist (tempted to give him 1 more year)
enright - 1 more year
kelly - delist

None of the players have any trade value

One of the problems for Geelong in 2015 was that they gave the older players too many matches and too much midfield time in 2014

Johnson/Bartel/Enright could all potentially go on in 2017 as well but you'd need to evaluate that in 12 months time

Just my random thoughts.

Mackie - Capable of playing on imo. 1-2 years. Don't think we have the experience yet in our kids to be able to replace him so I think Geelong would be keen to hold onto him.
Stevie J - Should be up to him whether he wants to stay. Think he did enough to warrant 1 more year.
Enright - I'm expecting him to retire and while they'd probably give him another year if he wanted, in my view there was a noticeable decline the last month or so. I think it's important to free up his spot for one of our kids.
Kelly - Has been on the down-slide the last couple years imo. Can probably still play but he is well off his best and I strongly doubt he is able to give a full solid year of football. One of the two we need to send packing.
Stokes - Clearly being pushed out. Form or ability would have little to do with it. He stands in the way of kids so it would be almost a certainty that he was one of the players to be told he won't be at Geelong next year.
Bartel - Always felt he would be one of the last of the over 30s to leave but last couple of weeks it seemed like his age has started to catch up to him. He DID miss around 9-10 weeks through so I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and let him play on for another year.
Lonergan - Think he's contracted for 2 more years. Might be slowly forced out in his second as there would be more of a need to replace him and Taylor in the next few, especially if we get Henderson and Delaney can stay fit. I think his lack of games would help him hold together better than the others.

Essendon would be all over him with pick 30.

Mackie - 1 year
Stokes - 1 year
SJ - thailand
kelly - thailand
Bartel - 1 year
enright - thailand
If we traded our second pick for Stevie J I'd personally burn the Tullamarine base to the ground.

Look you want to say all of them but you just can't get rid of 6 of starting 22 in 1 pre season.

But I think after watch Friday night Jonson & Bartel are becoming liability. Stokes is past it too.

I would keep Bartel for another season for experience as he is less of liability then Johnson in terms of giving away frees and suspensions.

Out - Jonson Enright (retire) Stokes
Keep - Bartel Kelly Mackie

johnson - 1 more year
stokes - delist
bartel - 1more year
mackie - delist (tempted to give him 1 more year)
enright - 1 more year
kelly - delist

None of the players have any trade value

One of the problems for Geelong in 2015 was that they gave the older players too many matches and too much midfield time in 2014

Johnson/Bartel/Enright could all potentially go on in 2017 as well but you'd need to evaluate that in 12 months time
This...

Stevie Johnson,Matthew Stokes - I'd trade out. I think a side like Richmond could use either, as a small forward/mid. Not both, but either. Also think Carlton could use Stokes for a year or two ala Cross at Melbourne. Help develop the new mids coming through there.

Jimmy Bartel - 1 more year. Started season well, knee injury cost him big time. Could play as a half forward in need.

Andrew Mackie - Retire. Looking slow, seems to lose his feet a lot these days

Corey Enright - Can go on for 1 more year.
James Kelly - Retire

Just watched Game Day. Andrew Mackie seems like he would be a major arseh*le.
Would be.....if what? If he played for the Pies? Mackie is one of the genuine larrikins at Geelong. Well liked. Not sure what makes you think otherwise?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

~~~~ Bubble Birst ~~~
Watch Dangerfield today. He isn't going anywhere. You will get Henderson and Selwood. Don't expect to rise to quickly.
You may be right, but GAJ played like there was no tomorrow right to the end at Geelong. He left

Just my random thoughts.

Mackie - Capable of playing on imo. 1-2 years. Don't think we have the experience yet in our kids to be able to replace him so I think Geelong would be keen to hold onto him.
Stevie J - Should be up to him whether he wants to stay. Think he did enough to warrant 1 more year.
Enright - I'm expecting him to retire and while they'd probably give him another year if he wanted, in my view there was a noticeable decline the last month or so. I think it's important to free up his spot for one of our kids.
Kelly - Has been on the down-slide the last couple years imo. Can probably still play but he is well off his best and I strongly doubt he is able to give a full solid year of football. One of the two we need to send packing.
Stokes - Clearly being pushed out. Form or ability would have little to do with it. He stands in the way of kids so it would be almost a certainty that he was one of the players to be told he won't be at Geelong next year.
Bartel - Always felt he would be one of the last of the over 30s to leave but last couple of weeks it seemed like his age has started to catch up to him. He DID miss around 9-10 weeks through so I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and let him play on for another year.
Lonergan - Think he's contracted for 2 more years. Might be slowly forced out in his second as there would be more of a need to replace him and Taylor in the next few, especially if we get Henderson and Delaney can stay fit. I think his lack of games would help him hold together better than the others.

Which ever way you look at it, last Friday night sealed their fate. Geelong couldn't beat two teams either side of their fixture who lost by more than 90 points! I think realistically they will keep Johnson, Mackie and Bartel. They will be three lucky blokes.

Glad Mackie irritates other sides on the field and some of their supporters off the field. Nice. We love him. Elite rebound player and goalkicker from the backline. 3 Premierships, one All-Australian and a giant F-U to the haters.

He gets another year.

Kelly- retire in glory.
Stokes- same.
SJ- one more
Enright- up to him, has one more in him.
Bartel- same as Enright.

Already Cats have lost HMac, Toohey, Hartman and Rivers this year. Plenty of room for fresh blood.

Of all the clubs in the competition besides Melbourne, it is the drafting that Geelong do that has me the most interested.

S.J is the only one I would rule as a really strong chance to play on. And I can't think of any other club that would reach out for him (not even as a premier ship top up player).

Otherwise with the existing retirements, and what comes into the club will really determine who goes and who is asked to stay (bit obvious).

That said, I can't see Bartel, Kelly or Stokes being there next year. Maybe Mackie and Enright will play on.

I hope all of them have been good with their money otherwise!!

Some series talent in that playing group, this could be a make or break drafting period for them.

a lot of people are staying keeping Stevie J - but that must be based on the fact he kicks the odd goal. This year against us he gave nothing to the defence. Didn't track back, didn't play to the system or help the rest of the team out. Of all of them, he's the one who a rebuilding team can't carry.

I think last year's 17-5 H&A masked a few issues which weren't addressed during the offseason. They should have moved on a few players similar to Hawthorn turfing Sewell to retire.

Stokes appears gone. Same as Kelly given the injury he sustained. The problem with SJ is he is so used to getting his way at Geelong, another club may not acclimatise to his querks. But he is now becoming a liability.

Enright appears to be going alright & connects well with the rest of the defence. Bartel has been injured & he could be worth another year. Is Mackie likely to improve a team or be a hinderance. I say one more year. 3 out of 6.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong 6 - What would you do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back