Geelong and District Football League 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know that inverhawk and jaychawk have gone missing, but the umpiring yesterday ant inverleigh v thomson was an embarrasing joke. must have been at least 15 50m penalties. and 70+ free kicks. it was both ways but so frustrating to watch. one was a senior gfl umpire who ran around with a younger umpire not setting a good example.
after yesterday, something needs to be said and done. not up to scratch.

totally agree,was also at the game 10 50m penalties in the first half completely ruined the game and left everyone in the crowd frustrated that the game had been hijacked by the umpires, talk about over umpiring, an absolute disgrace.

totally agree,was also at the game 10 50m penalties in the first half completely ruined the game and left everyone in the crowd frustrated that the game had been hijacked by the umpires, talk about over umpiring, an absolute disgrace.

give it up mate, the umpiring has always been crap, and we know it.
They cant get umps in the first place, but thats why we have rubble going around umpiring.
Who cares, but dont say the umps ruined or lost the game.
Thats what theLeigh supporters said last week when East smashed them as well.
Get over the umps and have a look at your own backyard

They cant get umps in the first place, but thats why we have rubble going around umpiring.

No one fomr inva ever said the umpires ruined the east game. they out played inverleigh in every facet of the game. But the thomson game was digracefully umpired. game could of been a thriller but over officiating ruined it.

No one fomr inva ever said the umpires ruined the east game. they out played inverleigh in every facet of the game. But the thomson game was digracefully umpired. game could of been a thriller but over officiating ruined it.

sorry but the umps lost u the previous two.Same difference mate.
Get over it.
Waht do u expect when they have to umpire a side playing crap

sorry but the umps lost u the previous two.Same difference mate.
Get over it.
Waht do u expect when they have to umpire a side playing crap
sorry mate, if u had have been there you would have said the umpiring was pathetic. no one said it cost a game. should read posts properly before writing that garbage.

trust me, i aint paul price. there were several decisions in the whole game where people were left scratching there heads. thomson really controlled the game most of the game

sorry mate, if u had have been there you would have said the umpiring was pathetic. no one said it cost a game. should read posts properly before writing that garbage.

You have been the biggest critic of the umps over the weeks, what do u suggest should solve the problem?

You have been the biggest critic of the umps over the weeks, what do u suggest should solve the problem?
goldenoldie are you an ump? u gotta open your eyes the whole GFUL need 2 have a look at themselves there ruining local footy, they know we need them and there thriving on it. week in week out doesn't matter wot game or where there a joke. we should go back 2 1 ump in local footy so they stop trying to outdo each other!

listen know all, I never said anything about umpiring losing the game for anyone, it is about the game being completely over umpired, 15 50s and more than 70 frees would have to be some kind of record for a game, it left all players/supports confused. You obviously were not at the game, stick to umpiring the U12s.

listen know all, I never said anything about umpiring losing the game for anyone, it is about the game being completely over umpired, 15 50s and more than 70 frees would have to be some kind of record for a game, it left all players/supports confused. You obviously were not at the game, stick to umpiring the U12s.
I am with goldenoldie on this. Yes the umpires have been crap all year. Yes they make a heap of decisions that they don't need to. Yes they make numerous mistakes each, and yes this has always happened and will continue to happen. Stop bagging them they are not going to go away and while everyone is crapping on them they are not going to get any better because nobody in their right mind is going to do it.

In regard to suggestions for improvement. I would propose that umpires are dedicated to one league for a set period of time and that they stay there regardless of their form. This would allow them to undertsnad the nuance of the league, how the game is played at that level and what is the tolerance level of the players to their various decisions.

At Corio and East last week it appeared that the 2 trainee umpires had a basic understanding of both umpiring and GDFL and were umpiring accordingly however the guy with the grey hair who had been umpiring the GFL previously umpired the game to a different "standard" which baffled players from all sides. He payed "AFL" free kicks when everyone only expects local rules to apply.

I am with goldenoldie on this. Yes the umpires have been crap all year. Yes they make a heap of decisions that they don't need to. Yes they make numerous mistakes each, and yes this has always happened and will continue to happen. Stop bagging them they are not going to go away and while everyone is crapping on them they are not going to get any better because nobody in their right mind is going to do it.

In regard to suggestions for improvement. I would propose that umpires are dedicated to one league for a set period of time and that they stay there regardless of their form. This would allow them to undertsnad the nuance of the league, how the game is played at that level and what is the tolerance level of the players to their various decisions.

At Corio and East last week it appeared that the 2 trainee umpires had a basic understanding of both umpiring and GDFL and were umpiring accordingly however the guy with the grey hair who had been umpiring the GFL previously umpired the game to a different "standard" which baffled players from all sides. He payed "AFL" free kicks when everyone only expects local rules to apply.

Very good idea, Drago. I think it is time the League got serious about the idea that has been floating around for some time and appointed their own panel of umpires. That way we just might get some consistency and as you quite rightly point out, not get lumped with umpires from other Leagues who don't understand the different levels between the 3 Leagues.

The umpiring problems dont stem from different standards of football, it comes from consistancy. A free kick is a free kick. When a player gets a free for too high/ in the back etc, then 1 minute later he tackles the opposition too hig/ in the back, but no free is given problems start to arise. With some games having 3 central umps the consistancy that should be there is non existant. Players, supporters and staff all become frustrated and confused which leads too more frees that are not there and 50m penalties that are soft.
Too fix this we need umpires grouped together for a period of games so they can understand each other and become consistant understanding each others decisions. Then they can still be relegated or promoted as a team of umps depending on there group perfomance.

No I wasnt at the game, but recently in the CDFL the umps walked off during the game because it was out of control.

If the umpiring was as bad as what your saying, do the same.Walk off as a team!
I bet something will be done then.

Or try telling your coach at 3 quarter time excuses about the umps.
I am sure he will tell you the same as me.

Ok I might have overreacted but mate this topic has now been going on for weeks.This is pathetic.
When I played guys like Hoggy were umps.I didnt get any worse than that I can asure you.
They at GFUL are trying everything to recruit more umps but obviously its hard recruiting them, and the more we "can" them the more no one will want to do it.

Very good idea, Drago. I think it is time the League got serious about the idea that has been floating around for some time and appointed their own panel of umpires. That way we just might get some consistency and as you quite rightly point out, not get lumped with umpires from other Leagues who don't understand the different levels between the 3 Leagues.

well said dude

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I wasnt at the game, but recently in the CDFL the umps walked off during the game because it was out of control.

If the umpiring was as bad as what your saying, do the same.Walk off as a team!
I bet something will be done then.

Or try telling your coach at 3 quarter time excuses about the umps.
I am sure he will tell you the same as me.

Ok I might have overreacted but mate this topic has now been going on for weeks.This is pathetic.
When I played guys like Hoggy were umps.I didnt get any worse than that I can asure you.
They at GFUL are trying everything to recruit more umps but obviously its hard recruiting them, and the more we "can" them the more no one will want to do it.

Anyway, but you shouldnt complain when your side won the match, and with 70 odd frees given ,you should have racked up heaps of possessions.
Obviously not.Thats why your complaining.

Anyway, but you shouldnt complain when your side won the match, and with 70 odd frees given ,you should have racked up heaps of possessions.
i just watch the footy mate. to old now. first quarter was 12-1 inverleighs way, then the 2nd quarter was bout 20-20 with 10 50m penalties. thomson got most of them then after that i think they settled down a bit but still paid a stupid amount of frees. i thought they wouldnt get out of the ground alive at one stage.
the players pay memberships, clubs pay fees, umpires get paid. (more than a lot of footballers) they are there to do a job, not be provocative and tell footballers what to do. i dont buy a membership so i can go and watch that garbage every week. i just want to watch footy mate.
thats just my opinion. like it or not.

i just watch the footy mate. to old now. first quarter was 12-1 inverleighs way, then the 2nd quarter was bout 20-20 with 10 50m penalties. thomson got most of them then after that i think they settled down a bit but still paid a stupid amount of frees. i thought they wouldnt get out of the ground alive at one stage.
the players pay memberships, clubs pay fees, umpires get paid. (more than a lot of footballers) they are there to do a job, not be provocative and tell footballers what to do. i dont buy a membership so i can go and watch that garbage every week. i just want to watch footy mate.
thats just my opinion. like it or not.

I get your point.no worries mate

The age old theory of umpires, anyone who thinks your umpiring is shite mustnt be getting a kick...pity it holds no truth whatsoever, never has. Its a massive problem in all levels of footy, dont know how to combat it but the current situation is terrible with standards and the type of people umpiring attracts, the situation will not improve. Perhaps better pay, more accountability and a slight knowledge of the game would help. I guess the proble lies with numbers, not enough and the standard is deplorable.

Not much happening in the Gdfl this weekend. Anakie should beat Belmont, Werribee will pump Winch and the Bannock boys are sure to bounce back against the battling North Geelong. Look out for double figures from TMG. What's everyone else's tips and who (player) will kick the most goals for the round?

Not much happening in the Gdfl this weekend. Anakie should beat Belmont, Werribee will pump Winch and the Bannock boys are sure to bounce back against the battling North Geelong. Look out for double figures from TMG. What's everyone else's tips and who (player) will kick the most goals for the round?

Mathieson will shut tmg down.
I here it will be a great game in a couple of weeks when corio and thomson play apparently on the week end a group of thomson boys king hit a corio fella in town and the corio boys are not happy, theres no way i will be missing that game it will definately be worth the price of admission.
p.s they know who you are.

I here it will be a great game in a couple of weeks when corio and thomson play apparently on the week end a group of thomson boys king hit a corio fella in town and the corio boys are not happy, theres no way i will be missing that game it will definately be worth the price of admission.

yes but we don't, so please divulge information

yes but we don't, so please divulge information
yeah give us a name?

I would't think thomson players would careless what corio do, with the likes of timmy gardiner running around behind them id feel safe too

yeah give us a name?

I would't think thomson players would careless what corio do, with the likes of timmy gardiner running around behind them id feel safe too

Corio blokes have always been like that. Tough as 10 men when they're out in town with their mates and then you see them by themselves and they get all scared and look the other way. Sounds like nothing has changed.

Its this sort of stuff that has cost Corio premiership in the past. You have to have discipline to win a flag something Corio has lacked at key times. Carrying on about this sort of stuff is typical Corio. Just worry about playing footy not who you are going to belt. If you want to do that go and take up boxing.

Its this sort of stuff that has cost Corio premiership in the past. You have to have discipline to win a flag something Corio has lacked at key times. Carrying on about this sort of stuff is typical Corio. Just worry about playing footy not who you are going to belt. If you want to do that go and take up boxing.
EXACTLY!!!!
or stick your head over the footy and show how tough you are that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back