GDFL Geelong and District Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
watched half a game of Bannockburn today not the running side they were last season Mullen Grant killed it today. Would of kicked 8 in a half of footy. Also heard Winchelsea got smashed by a CDFL team with 35 players for 2 games. Found it odd they were struggling in the first half of a six quarter game, The new coach Scott Mills sat on the bench watched them get smashed then come on in the 4th had 1 kick and took himself off. if your going to be a playing coach in this league you need, to set an example by getting in the mix of it instead of hiding in the foward pocket. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

As the GFL and BFL come under the Football Geelong banner I thought it was appropriate to start a seperate thread for The GDFL . Any news can be posted here.

Questions that need to be considered:

1. Who are the new recruits??

2. Who are the new coaches?

3. What teams will rise and slide in 2007?

4. What Grounds will be effected by the drought?

What I have heard is that Werribee Centrals a once powerhouse in the competition may be the big sliders in 2007:

Not only have they lost Inspirational coach and player Christopher Gilham to the GFL but there seems to have been an exodus of players to other leagues:

these include:
David Kennedy and Simon Calbert -Bacchus Marsh
Brad Mayberry, Mat Shannon and Matt Dean- Barwon Heads
Chris Gilham, Sean Cornish and Christian O'Mailey - West Saints
Tim Cunningham, John Antenello - retired
and a number of prominent youngsters to the Werribee
Ameteurs.
Your a haz bean Kooley if you call yourself a true centrals man get down and help the club out and don't take the money and run.As for Calbert mayberry, antenllo have all moved on to clubs that you have not mentioned.your not on channel 7 now get out of K-rocks ass.:D

Your a haz bean Kooley if you call yourself a true centrals man get down and help the club out and don't take the money and run.As for Calbert mayberry, antenllo have all moved on to clubs that you have not mentioned.your not on channel 7 now get out of K-rocks ass.:D

Just wondering would the WRFL 2ND division accept Scott Mills as a coach of one of the clubs:p

Interesting read this week in the Werribee Banner on local footy by a gun journo Brent Diamond

Rivalries add spice to an intriguing season ahead
space.gif

RIVALRIES are what make local football fans so passionate and effervescent in the outer.

Just the lead-up to a match against a team which is your club's arch nemesis is like a grand final, even though it could be just a middle-of-the-season fixture. There are times when your tensions just boil over; when you yell something out so ridiculous that you immediately, or later, think 'why did I say that?'

The umpires are usually the first to be ridiculed. Then come the opposition players. It could be just the slightest characteristic of a player, such as his haircut or the way he wears their socks or it could be invoked by a raging bump or tackle fromthe opposition.

This season. the rivalries in Wyndham are building in two leagues - Hoppers Crossing versus Glenorden in the Western Region Football League and Werribee Amateurs versus Old Westbourne in the Victorian Amateur Football Association.

The hatred between Hoppers Crossing and Glenorden is starting to creep up on the Richter scale.

Something is about to erupt.

The Warriors are level-headed about it. They know they're successful and they know they will start as hot favourites this season to defeat the former division two premiers once again.

But one word about the Warriors at Heathdale Oval and the Hawks will cringe.

It is the one motivating factor that has all the Hawk players gunning for more this season.

They want to become as fearless and intimidating as the Warriors.

You see it on the training track.

One night at Werribee South beach, the Warriors players ran past the Hawks players' training.

There was a certain feeling there that you either love 'em or hate 'em.

Some Hawks' players stood there with a certain glint in their eyes, half admiration and half desolation.

Former Hoppers player Glenn McGaw is coach of the Hawks and knows what the Warriors are all about.

He could be the man to bridge the gap between the two this season or next.

The Hawks had a steady season last year, impressing in their final match against St Albans and providing some shining lights in their first season in division one. Now, they are ready to build and aim for finals contention.

They have several top recruits, including the Russo brothers Adrian, Justin and Josh, Michael Franklin (Wyndham Vale) and Dean Chandler (Yarraville-Seddon).

Hoppers Crossing, in many respects, has the list to go all the way this season.

The on-field losses of coach Michael Frost and assistant Keenan Reynolds will hurt it.

But it has an abundance of youth that are promising and tremendously talented.

The additions of former player Chris Barry (Donvale), former Western Bulldogs player Brad Murphy (Red Hill), Shannon Downey (Red Hill) and Doug Thomas (Werribee Tigers) will certainly help fill the void.

The Warriors have also added Chris Moody (Darley) and Wyndham Vale Falcons pair Aaron Chavasse and John Drohomirecki.

Old Westbourne is chasing its second consecutive VAFA flag after being promoted from division D3 to D2 this season.

But maybe its biggest moment will come when it takes on Werribee Amateurs, a team which has had bragging rights in recent years to be the top amateur team in Wyndham.

Similarly to Hoppers Crossing and Glenorden, the gap could gradually be closing between the two, with the Warriors confident they can be a finals contender this season.

The two coaches behind the teams - Fab Gatti (Old Westbourne) and Kirk Norton (Werribee Amateurs) - are two passionate men who will be looking to get one up on each other come May 10 at Westbourne School Ground.

Old Westbourne is struggling for numbers in its under-19 and junior teams.

Call Ivan Board, 97493808 if you're interested in sporting the Warrior jumper.

Werribee will face Williamstown in the VFL in the season opener this Saturday at Bartercard Oval in a mouth-watering clash.

When you talk rivalry, there is none hotter than the battle of the west.

The rivalry has heated up this season with the Western Bulldogs crossing from the Tigers to arch nemesis, the Seagulls.

The Tigers finally settled on a partial alignment with North Melbourne.

But what hurts the Tigers even more is the Seagulls snaring the recruits they had on the top of their shopping list.

Former AFL-listed players Callum Urch and Matthew Little signed on at rival Williamstown even though they were offered similar contracts at Werribee.

Get set for a back to the '80s affair that is not to be missed.

Wyndham Vale Falcons have had the most controversial pre-season of the Wyndham clubs.

The Falcons axed Stephen Fletcher just three months after he was appointed coach of the team in what has become a recurring theme at Honour Reserve in recent times.

It was all looking downhill with a massive player exodus similar to the Werribee Centrals last year.

Nathan Evans is now at the helm. He has stated he will have former AFL players David Rhys-Jones and Simon Minton-Connell in mentoring roles, which is sure to attract new players and sponsors.

In February, the numbers at training were lucky to reach eight or nine. Now they have no fears of fielding a team and will be looking to cause some heartache for other division two teams.

Werribee Centrals are adamant they can return to its glory days when teams so often feared to play them in the Geelong and District Football League. The Centurions are strategically placed to have a top season this year after what was a shock introduction to coaching for Cori Andrews last year.

The Centrals, like the Falcons this year, faced an exodus of stars last season, only managing to put in some competitive performances to keep them from the bottom of the ladder.

Craig Hardingham is a massive recruit for the Centurions.

The former Winchelsea ruckman will give the Centurions on-ball division a big boost.

Other recruits are Luke Redpath (Epping), Jack O'Brien (Wyndham vale), Anthony Kitchen (Winchelsea), Matthew Rudd (Geelong West-St Peters), Dale Collins (YCW), Damien Galle (Wyndham vale), Steve Wallace (Wyndham vale) and Shane Tobin (Barwon Heads).

Joel Anderson and Daniel Kretschmer are the only two departures.

TAB Sportsbet's new premiership betting for the GDFL has Werribee Centrals at seventh favourite at at $11 to win the flag.

Corio is favourite, closely followed by East Geelong and Thomson.

Point Cook will field its first under-18 team this season in the Western Region Football League.

Signifying their growth in the league, the Bulldogs have had great success with their junior teams and are hopeful of fielding a senior team in division two next season.

The Point Cook Football Club was established in 2003 and was introduced in the WRFL in 2004.

Last year, it fielded 12 junior teams and this year it will field up to 15 including an under-18s team.

Steve Foss will coach the new under-18 team.

Western Jets had a flying start to the season last year before being brushed aside by North Ballarat in an elimination final.

But the Jets believe they can build on that finals berth and go another couple of steps further this year.

Top-aged forward Nick DiMartino said: "Without trying to spruik, we have got a very decent list. They made the first final last year and I think we've got the capability to push on from that."

Under new coach Steve Kretiuk, the Jets have high hopes this season with several draft prospects on its list of 48.

Former Werribee Juniors player Mitchell Banner will be looking to back up his outstanding season last year which saw the bottom-aged draft prospect win the Barry Round Medal, the Jets' best and fairest award.

Smell that liniment, the fresh paint around the boundary lines and the sweat and tears from pre-season hit-outs. Footy's back.
Don't miss next week's issue for Brent Diamond's comprehensive preview of the Western Region Football League.

Interesting read this week in the Werribee Banner on local footy by a gun journo Brent Diamond

Rivalries add spice to an intriguing season ahead
http://werribee.yourguide.com.au/images/general/space.gif[/IM

TAB Sportsbet's new premiership betting for the GDFL has Werribee Centrals at seventh favourite at at $11 to win the flag.

Corio is favourite, closely followed by East Geelong and Thomson.

.[/QUOTE]

That would be Darwin Sportsbet...Brent...

Stick with the WRFL and the Tigers mate

watched half a game of Bannockburn today not the running side they were last season Mullen Grant killed it today. Would of kicked 8 in a half of footy. Also heard Winchelsea got smashed by a CDFL team with 35 players for 2 games. Found it odd they were struggling in the first half of a six quarter game, The new coach Scott Mills sat on the bench watched them get smashed then come on in the 4th had 1 kick and took himself off. if your going to be a playing coach in this league you need, to set an example by getting in the mix of it instead of hiding in the foward pocket. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Just thought i would clear a few things up here,
1. The first 3 qts we played mostly twos 7 of which were playing there first game of footy.Yes they got spanked imps twos won flag last year.
2.The last 3 qts when we had our snrs out we prob out scored them by 3 goals
3.I took myself of because i did my hammy.
4. Out of the 35 players we had only 8 played for winch last year so it will take time for us to gell.
5 1 prac match doesnt make a season.
6.I might not have a high profile like some of the other coaches at least i put my hand up to have a crack.
7.I dont who 7up is .
I hope this clears a few things up , you can keep peronally attack me all you like i dont know you so i dont care.Cheers Big Pillow Biter.....

1. The first 3 qts we played mostly twos 7 of which were playing there first game of footy.Yes they got spanked imps twos won flag last year.
4. Out of the 35 players we had only 8 played for winch last year so it will take time for us to gell.
6.I might not have a high profile like some of the other coaches at least i put my hand up to have a crack.
7.I dont who 7up is .
I hope this clears a few things up , you can keep peronally attack me all you like i dont know you so i dont care.Cheers Big Pillow Biter.....

good work millsy stuff those people having a crack at u they are jealous at least u r trying mate and not trying to buy players for one season like alot of other teams, so keep ur head up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have heard Bacchus Marsh beat East by about 6 goals.
The Marsh did have a win obver East but the margin was probably 2 to 4 goals (issues with scoreboard accuracy) and the difference being ex-Werribee Centrals forward John Antonello who would have kicked 8 goals including 5 in the third and the cleaner skills of Bacchus Marsh in general play.

A good hit-out for both teams each of which had some good players missing and therefore it is hard to gauge where they are at.

7.I dont who 7up is .

Good on ya Millsy. Nothing like letting the truth get in the way of some slagging. Wouldn't be to concerned about these blokes mate. They only get on the site when they have used up all their pr0n download quota. Gotta get their frustration out somehow!!:p

Good on ya Millsy. Nothing like letting the truth get in the way of some slagging. Wouldn't be to concerned about these blokes mate. They only get on the site when they have used up all their pr0n download quota. Gotta get their frustration out somehow!!:p
Thats some real quality coming from a club President.

Who did Bannockburn play?

Winch actually looked pretty impressive in the second half when they had everyone up and running. As Millsy said, the team needs to gel and you could see signs of it in the last three periods.

Midfield looked good, the ruckman was dominant.

Disposal was poor from nearly everyone with a couple of exceptions, forward line looked a little out of place at times, but considering the sides just come together, things don't look that bad.

Thats some real quality coming from a club President.

Can't step outside the club Presidency for a minute and stick up for a mate. Still not sure why this forum has turned into a bagging session full of cheap shots by people who are so afraid they hide behind aliases. Atleast people know who I am.

Belmont will defeat Geelong West by 37+ points
East will smash Inverleigh by 50+ points
BPH V Corio will be very hard to split. Hill to just get up
Werribee over Anakie 20+ points
Nrth Geelong to beat Winch
Thomson to defeat Banno
My tips for round 1;

East over Inverleigh but the margin will be tighter than most expect. Scrobba not playing and missing a couple of others from last year thru injury being replaced by recruits who look the goods but yet to show the wares in the real thing. Inverleigh have also picked up a couple of good players without losing much from 2007.
BPH to beat Corio. The Hill have recuited well on top of a strong base in '07 which should see them get over Corio who have also spent there money wisely but struggled in '07. Also no R O'Toole.
Werribee to beat Anakie but only on the strength of the players leaving Anakie. I could be extremely wrong about this.
Nth Geelong to get over Winch in the closest game for the round.
Bannock to beat Thomson. Some very good recruiting for Bannock should see them hold there position from 2007. Thomson have some quality players but most are getting a bit long in the tooth.
Belmont to easily account for West.

Winch actually looked pretty impressive in the second half when they had everyone up and running. As Millsy said, the team needs to gel and you could see signs of it in the last three periods.

Midfield looked good, the ruckman was dominant.

Disposal was poor from nearly everyone with a couple of exceptions, forward line looked a little out of place at times, but considering the sides just come together, things don't look that bad.

I saw the game as well. Winch looked ok in the second half. They seem to be missing some player that i havent seen on the transfer list. Is B kelly and M Day playing this year??

I saw the game as well. Winch looked ok in the second half. They seem to be missing some player that i havent seen on the transfer list. Is B kelly and M Day playing this year??

B Kelly is overseas for this year and M Day is overseas as well but is due back this week and should be ready for round 1

My tips for round 1;

East over Inverleigh but the margin will be tighter than most expect. Scrobba not playing and missing a couple of others from last year thru injury being replaced by recruits who look the goods but yet to show the wares in the real thing. Inverleigh have also picked up a couple of good players without losing much from 2007.
BPH to beat Corio. The Hill have recuited well on top of a strong base in '07 which should see them get over Corio who have also spent there money wisely but struggled in '07. Also no R O'Toole.
Werribee to beat Anakie but only on the strength of the players leaving Anakie. I could be extremely wrong about this.
Nth Geelong to get over Winch in the closest game for the round.
Bannock to beat Thomson. Some very good recruiting for Bannock should see them hold there position from 2007. Thomson have some quality players but most are getting a bit long in the tooth.
Belmont to easily account for West.

drago, obviously footy isn't your strong point. my easties will walk all over a weak inverleigh. i know skrobba isn't playing but we have other avenues that i'm sure will stand up when it comes to it. to fthink your teams fortunes revolve around one bloke tells me you are not a senior player and if you are i dont think you'l be there to long.
i agree that the boys from the hill will get up against the devils, with or without r.o'toole. he's not the player he used to be and we all know that. i hope you boys aren't going to give him this much respect when you come up against him.
werribee is no chance against anakie. to many players gone and not enough new players to fill the void. and i hear carro is a certainty for round 1
i agree with you for banockburn
although it's an easy start to the season for the reigning premiers, i'm pretty sure they'll be knocked from they're pearch this year. they stole that flag last year. gonna be a different story this time round

I see Corio only beat a very young Nth Geelong by 4 goals, and Corio had all there new recruits playing.

yes, they didnt beat us by much at all.. we had a first year player from under 18s rucking against stuart all day, wise was sick and hesselwood had work. zitco didnt play, schwennesen only play half a game and last years rookie of the year bryant played forward pocket for most of the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back