Resource Geelong Football Club history

Remove this Banner Ad

Following the 1989 Preliminary Final win:

EEA3z.png

"The game was Ablett's in the way that magic was Merlin's. The only difference is that in seeking to describe, one requires a new vocabulary.
To user terms, even superlatives, that apply to other players is like saying that a day of blue sky and warm sunshine in the middle of winter is like any other day. It is not. It is an object of wonder that gladdens the heart of all who behold it. So let it be with Gazza.
The old footy drawings always depicted the big pack and forest of hands in the air. Ablett has refined this process. It is only when he is up there, fixed relative to the planets and the stars, that he deigns to make the secondary movement that is the raising of the hands.
Until then, they remain by his sides, so that, rather than leaping, it appears he is making ascensions. Perhaps that is why his play is now subject to so much quasi-religious speculation."

Read that before as text, but a great find of the original SJ. Of interest for all those out there, Blighty was the interviewee on Open Mike a few weeks ago and had some interesting things to say about his time at Geelong - especially the relationship with Ablett and the 94 finals series. Will see if I can upload it on to youtube.

Maybe CatterLog or Cat-a- pedia? :D

ex-Graphic Designer. Helped produce local club history of 220+pp. Some HTML, computer skills. May be able to help. Proof reading, etc.

I also have extensive photographic and graphic design skills, as well as some technical ability (I work in IT and run a forum among other things). More than anything, I know how to scan properly and get the best out of digital imagery. I'm also a bit of a language pedant, so I'd be happy to help out where I can with proof-reading, writing and editing content too. You might have to PM me though to get my attention sometimes, as I don't have a whole lot of time at work to trawl BigFooty.

Renncartoon1937premiers.jpg
1937 Cartoon.​
The Health Commission attempted to prosecute the VFL and the MCG Trustees over the overcrowding at the match - nothing came of it.​
51gfspectatorsonground.jpg
Half-time in the 1951 Grand Final - spectators try and find a better position elsewhere on the ground.​
(From Classic Cats)​
The MCG Trustees resisted reserved seating and standing room for football finals until 1957 after success of the system in the 1956 Olympic Games.​

Anyone got the famous black cat cartoon?

Or the one of Ablett walking (on water) across Corio Bay back to Geelong after the 1989 Grand Final?
The cartoon where Wells suggested that Geelong adopt a black cat as their mascot to turn their fortunes around after starting the season with 2 wins and 5 losses, is reported to have appeared in the Friday 6 July 1923 edition of the Herald. I've never seen it reproduced anywhere.

Geelong won their next four matches including wins against 'top 4' sides Fitzroy and Collingwood. After dropping a match at home to 6th placed South Melbourne by 7 points, Geelong then won their first match at the Junction Oval since 1910, defeating 3rd placed St Kilda by 16 points to regain a place in the '4'.

Wells drew this cartoon about the win.​
1923.jpg

Note: The cat has a name -'Black Mick'.
Note too the comment on the St Kilda supporters and the umpire. At the time there was a belief amongst St Kilda supporters that their club's lack of success so far in the competition was that the umpires, 'had it in for them'. The eternal dysfunctional delusion of loser mentality and culture. St Kilda lost their remaining two matches of the season resulting in them dropping out of the top 4 and missed the finals. (They only participated in finals series two times in the next 37 seasons.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone got scans of the Geelong Club magazine which I think had Polly Farmer on the cover? Bill Goggin was inside I think. One of them had a picture of them in mid-air stride from having roosted the ball on the run. It would have been either 1966 or 1967 (seeing that was Farmer's last year at Geelong).

It was the year the club had an end of season trip on the P&O cruise ship the "SS Himalaya".

I was 5 or 6 years of age at the time and I remember my family was visiting relatives in Geelong and I was taken aboard the Himilaya for a morning or afternoon tea with my mum's Auntie Ann and Uncle Jack Jennings (who I later found out was President of the GFC for many years) who gave me a copy of the magazine. I spent most of my time engrossed in looking at that magazine - and from that point on Geelong was the only footy team for me!

Sadly I lost the magazine many years ago.

Note: The cat has a name -'Black Mick'.
Note too the comment on the St Kilda supporters and the umpire. At the time there was a belief amongst St Kilda supporters that their club's lack of success so far in the competition was that the umpires, 'had it in for them'. The eternal dysfunctional delusion of loser mentality and culture. St Kilda lost their remaining two matches of the season resulting in them dropping out of the top 4 and missed the finals. (They only participated in finals series two times in the next 37 seasons.)

Reading Plugger35's posts on the main board and in Bay 13, that belief still exists. :D

MD - how early is that photo? Are the blokes in the photo 1st AIF?
All I know is that it's early last century.
The photo might have been taken at or near the old Corio Oval East Geelong where Geelong played before Kardinia Park. The rifle range was next to it where the animal health place now is.

The photo might have been taken at or near the old Corio Oval East Geelong where Geelong played before Kardinia Park. The rifle range was next to it where the animal health place now is.

Though the inscription top left seems to indicate that it was taken at some Camp rather than just a Rifle Range. Not that they are mutually exclusive.

Geelong Football Club early last century.

314260_10151215103854293_1099331642_n.jpg
This appears to be a group of footballers at an army camp around 1912 wearing Geelong FC colours.
The Universal Service Scheme, the first system of compulsory military service in Australia was passed into law in 1911 - the above may be some of the first to do this duty.
The jumpers are the woolen alternative to canvas lace-ups worn by Geelong FC 1897-1918. The man seated left front row is wearing the GFC 1912-18 lace-up guernsey but these were worn over a white shirt (see photo below). The tunic worn by the soldiers in the back row was introduced in 1912.
I cannot recognise any of the faces in the above photo as being GFC players of the period. Below is THE Geelong (Cricket and) Football Club 1914 team.

gfc1914.jpg

Pretty sure that's 'camp' in the left hand corner. Wonder if the rifle range was used as an enlistment camp in 1914?

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Geelong Football Club history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back