Resource Geelong Football Club history

Remove this Banner Ad

Ray sent this into my facebook page a few years ago... his username here is something like 'The_Quadrinator' (can't remember how to spell it, if someone could tag him that would be great.)

The back of the photo is marked Ian Hawthorn, photographer, upstairs 140 Moorabool St, Geelong
By memory we narrowed it down to about 1968...

252339_451787741524559_839158579_n.jpg

Ray sent this into my facebook page a few years ago... his username here is something like 'The_Quadrinator' (can't remember how to spell it, if someone could tag him that would be great.)

The back of the photo is marked Ian Hawthorn, photographer, upstairs 140 Moorabool St, Geelong
By memory we narrowed it down to about 1968...
252339_451787741524559_839158579_n.jpg

Yeah - that was me that posted that! I still have the photo if anyone wants an electronic higher quality scan, I'm happy to share it. I think it might have been a gift they gave you with your membership back then.

My Dad gave it to me as I'm probably the most insane Cats supporter of the tribe :)

And see those ankle boots - when I played in the 70's I still wore those even though a lot were changing to new fangled low ankle jobbies (mine were probably from an op shop). Wrap the lace twice around the top and tape it down was our technique. Carry two sets of studs with you and put the longer ones in on the wet days!

Old Aerial Shots Of The Cattery
These are small jpegs of the original large Tiff (links supplied below) images.​
KardiniaParkDec1926Sml_zps73eeecfd.jpg
Kardinia Park: Feb 1926
Original Tiff image 4830 x 3839 can be downloaded from​
The State Library of Vic. Airspy Collection @ http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/183829
KardiniaParkSep1937Sml_zpsd07457f8.jpg
Kardinia Park: Sept 1937
Original Tiff image 4912 x 3864 can be downloaded from​
The State Library of Vic. Airspy Collection @ http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/20621

Info on Airspy, plus early pics of other grounds​

I didn't know there was a bridge over the Barwon at the end of Latrobe Terrace anytime prior to the current James Harrison bridge.
I packed the swag and left Geelong at 9 weeks of age. So I can offer no help. Strangely though, having run down West Fyans and across the Terrace innumerable times through the mid 60's to early 90's, I have zero recollection of what was at the river end of Latrobe o_O

The Moorabool bridge reconstruction of 1926 (pic) widened a narrow two lane crossing, allowing for the addition of tram lines out to Belmont. The bridge re-opened in August of that year. I wonder whether the Latrobe bridge was a temporary crossing during work on Moorabool, or simply the highway crossing of the period.

Could use a local historian.

The Moorabool bridge reconstruction of 1926 (pic) widened a narrow two lane crossing, allowing for the addition of tram lines out to Belmont. The bridge re-opened in August of that year. I wonder whether the Latrobe bridge was a temporary crossing during work on Moorabool, or simply the highway crossing of the period.
I would say you are right - the moorabool bridge looks like a construction zone in the photo with the approaches blocked off. The latrobe street bridge looks a bit narrow and doesn't appear to naturally flow into either approach. The struts supporting that bridge also look like they are narrow enough to hinder rowers below. I suspect the photo itself was taken to show the relative position of the two bridges.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I packed the swag and left Geelong at 9 weeks of age. So I can offer no help. Strangely though, having run down West Fyans and across the Terrace innumerable times through the mid 60's to early 90's, I have zero recollection of what was at the river end of Latrobe o_O

Could use a local historian.
Yep, now Just mention the old Albion woolen mills and job done,no historian required:thumbsu:

That's a great photo. The decade between 29-39 saw finals in six years for three grand finals and two flags (1931, 1937) - so pretty successful, especially when you consider that only four out the twelve teams played finals each year. The only players in that team who played in the 1925 premiership are Carji Greeves, Lloyd Hagger, Les Smith, Jocka Todd and Jack Williams. Ed Baker, Arthur Coghlan, Jack Collins, Jack Evans, Greeves, Peter Hardiman, Reg Hickey, Frank Mockridge and Jack Williams all went on to play in the 1931 flag. From that era you'd say the big names of the club are Greeves and Hickey, and perhaps the Hardiman brothers and Tommy Quinn. But that photo...had never heard of Arthur Coghlan before but he played 145 games, captained the club and rucked in the 31 flag. Jack Williams played 175, Ted Baker 95 for 101 goals and captained the 31 premiership, Les Smith 123, Jack Collins 112 for 112 goals, Jack Evans 149. Must have been pretty reasonable players to put up those numbers in an amateur era in a reasonably strong side, but I suppose the sheer number of players Geelong has had obscures solid contributors like them.

That's a great photo. The decade between 29-39 saw finals in six years for three grand finals and two flags (1931, 1937) - so pretty successful, especially when you consider that only four out the twelve teams played finals each year. The only players in that team who played in the 1925 premiership are Carji Greeves, Lloyd Hagger, Les Smith, Jocka Todd and Jack Williams. Ed Baker, Arthur Coghlan, Jack Collins, Jack Evans, Greeves, Peter Hardiman, Reg Hickey, Frank Mockridge and Jack Williams all went on to play in the 1931 flag. From that era you'd say the big names of the club are Greeves and Hickey, and perhaps the Hardiman brothers and Tommy Quinn. But that photo...had never heard of Arthur Coghlan before but he played 145 games, captained the club and rucked in the 31 flag. Jack Williams played 175, Ted Baker 95 for 101 goals and captained the 31 premiership, Les Smith 123, Jack Collins 112 for 112 goals, Jack Evans 149. Must have been pretty reasonable players to put up those numbers in an amateur era in a reasonably strong side, but I suppose the sheer number of players Geelong has had obscures solid contributors like them.
He would have been one of Partridges favorites.:D
to: navigation, search
Arthur Coghlan​
Personal information​
Date of birth​
16 August 1902
Original team​
Toora
Debut​
1922, Geelong
Height/Weight​
180 cm / 86 kg
Playing career1

Geelong (1922-25, 1927-32)
  • 145 games, 10 goals
Coaching career​

Geelong (1929-30, 1933-34)
  • 80 games, 49 wins, 30 losses, 1 draw

1 Playing statistics correct to end of 1934 season.
Arthur 'Bull' Coghlan (born 16 August 1902, date of death unknown) was an Australian rules footballer who played for and coached Geelong in the VFL.
Geelong's Toora recruit was a tough and hard hitting ruckman but could also play in key positions. He missed out on their 1925 premiership after being suspended for the remainder of 1925 and all of 1926 for escalating an all-in brawl that involved players and team officials.

Bull Coghlan looks pretty imposing in that pic !

177116.jpg

Len Metherell's not too bad either! 117 goals in 110 games but is listed as ruck rover (I suppose before the position technically existed) in the 31 side.

He would have been one of Partridges favorites.:D

Arthur 'Bull' Coghlan (born 16 August 1902, date of death unknown) was an Australian rules footballer who played for and coached Geelong in the VFL.
Geelong's Toora recruit was a tough and hard hitting ruckman but could also play in key positions. He missed out on their 1925 premiership after being suspended for the remainder of 1925 and all of 1926 for escalating an all-in brawl that involved players and team officials.
Geeeez, the boys went at it that day :D
For his involvement, Stan Thomas of Geelong was suspended for the same period as Coghlan.

Following the game at Arden St., Fred Rutley of North Melbourne was found to have instigated the brawl. He was reported on six charges (3x striking, 2x kicking, 1x melee involvement) and rubbed out for life. Five years later his sentence was commuted. He returned to play for the Kangas, having missed 89 games - the third longest suspension for an onfield incident in VFL history. Some CV!... 11 games played (21 goals), 89 games suspended.

Here's a little nugget of history: Leigh Colbert said on SEN the other day that he broke his thumb when a spud gun exploded in his hand, the day before a big game against Essendon :p

He told the club he tripped over when kicking the footy in the street with some kids, but he only told the doctor, and didn't even tell Gary Ayres :D

He reckons the numbing injection was a dud, coz he couldn't hold the ball properly, so he had a shocker.

Jim McShane

From Wikipedia:
Jim McShane was a player for the Geelong Football Club. McShane was the first player in the VFL/AFL competition to kick ten goals or more in a match when he scored eleven goals against St Kilda in 1899. Scores: Geelong 23.24.162 def St. Kilda 00.01.01
His brothers Henry and Joe also played with Geelong, and later at Carlton

Stats: http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jim_McShane.html

Looking back in history I always wondered about this match and how much of a domination it was at the time. Remembering there wasn't many matches where teams scored more then 100pts back then.

If Anyone can post a quarter by quarter break down would be nice or where I can find it. As well as the break down of goal scorers, 11 goals by McShane would have been massive news and a massive achievement something unheard of at the time.

Looking back in history I always wondered about this match and how much of a domination it was at the time. Remembering there wasn't many matches where teams scored more then 100pts back then.

If Anyone can post a quarter by quarter break down would be nice or where I can find it. As well as the break down of goal scorers, 11 goals by McShane would have been massive news and a massive achievement something unheard of at the time.

Round: 17 Venue: Corio Oval Date: Sat, 9-Sep-1899 2:30 PM
Geelong 4.7.31 - 13.13.91 - 18.21.129 - 23.24.162
St Kilda 0.1.1 - 0.1.1 - 0.1.1 - 0.1.1
Geelong lead @ Q1 30 - Q2 90 - Q3 128 - Final 161

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1899/091518990909.html :D

RogersResults
Do you have any information on the St. Kilda behind (posted above)? Would be interesting to know whether or not a Saints player actually registered a score on the day.

Cheers :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Geelong Football Club history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back