Resource Geelong Football Club history

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a placeholder: Trove has just added a bunch of new newspaper titles including The Australasian, published in Melbourne between 1864 and 1946. The effort extends to 1910 at this stage and some years are missing. Pages are supposed to go up in the next month. Should be a good resource for the Cats VFA years.

RogersResults
Do you have any information on the St. Kilda behind (posted above)? Would be interesting to know whether or not a Saints player actually registered a score on the day.

Cheers :thumbsu:
The report of the match in The Age says, "So well did the Saints acquit themselves in the first quarter of a hour they they actually scored the first point; " - So we can assume that is was not rushed.
The report also mentions that St Kilda fielded what was regarded as their strongest team for the season.

St Kilda's record in the competition up to that match was 0 wins from 47 matches (average losing margin 52 points - 54 points after the Geelong match) with a for and against percentage of 29.33% (28.05 after the record breaking loss to Geelong).

Geelong's record score stood until Essendon scored 24.19-163 against St Kilda in round 18, 1911.

Geelong's record winning margin stood until Sth Melbourne (Sydney) defeated St Kilda by 171 points in round 12, 1919 - 29.15-189 vs. 2.6-18.
South scored 17.4-106 to St Kilda's 0.0-0 in the last quarter.

The next lowest scores to St Kilda's 1 point are St Kilda's 0.2-2 vs. Sth Melbourne in 1897 and 0.2-2 v Geelong in round 14 of 1899. Also in the sectional matches of 1899, Melbourne scored 0.2-2 vs. Fitzroy.

However the closest that a team may have come to not scoring occurred in round 5 of 1953 when Fitzroy lost to Footscray (Western Bulldogs) 1.0-6 vs. 10.6-66. Fitzroy's only score came in the 95th minute of the match when Fitzroy's Alan Ruthen kicked in mid-air at the ball which had been punched by a team-mate.

Nine of the 15 lowest scores (1 to 7 points) have been scored by St Kilda.

Hmmmm. That score seems strangely familiar.
Indeed, but only recently. Up until a few years ago when a report in The Australasian was found correcting the score, sources had Essendon's score in the 1911 match as 23.20-158.

24.19-163 has been recorded 16 times - and the one previous to the 2007 Grand Final?

Round 22, 2001: Port Adelaide 24.19-163 v West Coast 7.9-51.

Does anyone own the 'road to kardinia park' book

I was given it for my 7th birthday in 1997 and it gives a detailed account of the football club history and it's influential people from the 1850's up to 1996

Truly the best book I have read

The report of the match in The Age says, "So well did the Saints acquit themselves in the first quarter of a hour they they actually scored the first point; " - So we can assume that is was not rushed.
The report also mentions that St Kilda fielded what was regarded as their strongest team for the season.

St Kilda's record in the competition up to that match was 0 wins from 47 matches (average losing margin 52 points - 54 points after the Geelong match) with a for and against percentage of 29.33% (28.05 after the record breaking loss to Geelong).

Geelong's record score stood until Essendon scored 24.19-163 against St Kilda in round 18, 1911.

Geelong's record winning margin stood until Sth Melbourne (Sydney) defeated St Kilda by 171 points in round 12, 1919 - 29.15-189 vs. 2.6-18.
South scored 17.4-106 to St Kilda's 0.0-0 in the last quarter.

The next lowest scores to St Kilda's 1 point are St Kilda's 0.2-2 vs. Sth Melbourne in 1897 and 0.2-2 v Geelong in round 14 of 1899. Also in the sectional matches of 1899, Melbourne scored 0.2-2 vs. Fitzroy.

However the closest that a team may have come to not scoring occurred in round 5 of 1953 when Fitzroy lost to Footscray (Western Bulldogs) 1.0-6 vs. 10.6-66. Fitzroy's only score came in the 95th minute of the match when Fitzroy's Alan Ruthen kicked in mid-air at the ball which had been punched by a team-mate.

Nine of the 15 lowest scores (1 to 7 points) have been scored by St Kilda.
Was hoping for a rushed behind. This answers the nagging question.

Thanks again RR. Great work :D

I was given it for my 7th birthday in 1997 and it gives a detailed account of the football club history and it's influential people from the 1850's up to 1996

The late Russell Stephen's The Road to Kardinia is the most comprehensive coverage of the club's history (up to 1996) published so far and although out of print can be obtained from any public library on inter-library loan for a small fee.

For more detailed information on two specific eras in GFC history , have a look here: Classic Cats and Cats in Command

My mum got a copy and it was a great read growing up. You can flip it to any page and read a great story. It'd be great if someone could do an update with our recent success.

My mum got a copy and it was a great read growing up. You can flip it to any page and read a great story. It'd be great if someone could do an update with our recent success.
Simon Townley's "Good to Great: The Cats 12-year journey from near death to greatness and how they plan to stay on top." covers the period from where "The Road to Kardinia" leaves off to the 2011 Premiership.

Copies are advertised for sale here: http://melbourne-sports-books.myshopify.com/products/good-to-great-geelong-fc

Scott Gullan's "The Mission" covers the 2007 Premiership campaign in detail and "The Mission2" is an expanded version covering the 2009 flag as well. "Mission2" is offered for sale here: https://www.qbd.com.au/product/9780646522692

Simon Townley's "Good to Great: The Cats 12-year journey from near death to greatness and how they plan to stay on top." covers the period from where "The Road to Kardinia" leaves off to the 2011 Premiership.

Copies are advertised for sale here: http://melbourne-sports-books.myshopify.com/products/good-to-great-geelong-fc

Scott Gullan's "The Mission" covers the 2007 Premiership campaign in detail and "The Mission2" is an expanded version covering the 2009 flag as well. "Mission2" is offered for sale here: https://www.qbd.com.au/product/9780646522692
Got the Mission series, will get on Good to Great.

Albert 'Pompey' Austin
The First Aboriginal To Play Senior Football

Full Story @ http://australianfootball.com/articles/view/Pompey+Austin+-+Aboriginal+football+pioneer/660

Before the turn of the 20th century an indigenous presence in elite football was almost non-existent in Victoria. However, Mark Pennings has found a few references to indigenous footballers of the era such as Albert 'Pompey' Austin, who played for Geelong. Austin’s debut for Geelong in 1872 predates all other indigenous pioneers.

Although Aborigines are widely accepted at all levels of Australian Football today, Pompey’s football story was an exception to a colonial color bar. No other Aborigine is known to have played senior football in Victoria until the early 1890s, which makes Pompey’s appearance for Geelong in 1872 all the more remarkable.

AlbertPompeyAustin_zps886bd3e8.jpg
Albert ‘Pompey’ Austin, 1868.
Photographer: J. Harvey. La Trobe Picture Collection, State Library of Victoria.

When Pompey was born in the mid-1840s near Camperdown (Victoria), his community, the Djargurd Wurrung, had been decimated by warfare and European diseases. From the mid-1860s he lived at the Framlingham mission near Warrnambool. In 1869 he first competed at the Warrnambool Cricket Club’s annual sports and won three events including the high jump with a leap of 5ft. 6in., and only lost the steeplechase when he fell at the final hurdle. This success would be repeated at sports meetings in nearby towns.

He possibly won his greatest prize at the Geelong Easter Sports in 1872 when he defeated all-comers in his events and carried off the £10 Grand Easter Gift. Pompey’s victory was so well received that he returned to Geelong to compete in the next big athletics event on May 24, 1872 and though his performances were below his usual high standard he would be selected to play for the Geelong Football Club against the reigning premier, Carlton the next day.

Full Story @ http://australianfootball.com/articles/view/Pompey+Austin+-+Aboriginal+football+pioneer/660

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Albert 'Pompey' Austin
The First Aboriginal To Play Senior Football

Before the turn of the 20th century an indigenous presence in elite football was almost non-existent in Victoria. However, Mark Pennings has found a few references to indigenous footballers of the era such as Albert 'Pompey' Austin, who played for Geelong. Austin’s debut for Geelong in 1872 predates all other indigenous pioneers.

Although Aborigines are widely accepted at all levels of Australian Football today, Pompey’s football story was an exception to a colonial color bar. No other Aborigine is known to have played senior football in Victoria until the early 1890s, which makes Pompey’s appearance for Geelong in 1872 all the more remarkable.

AlbertPompeyAustin_zps886bd3e8.jpg
Albert ‘Pompey’ Austin, 1868.
Photographer: J. Harvey. La Trobe Picture Collection, State Library of Victoria.

When Pompey was born in the mid-1840s near Camperdown (Victoria), his community, the Djargurd Wurrung, had been decimated by warfare and European diseases. From the mid-1860s he lived at the Framlingham mission near Warrnambool. In 1869 he first competed at the Warrnambool Cricket Club’s annual sports and won three events including the high jump with a leap of 5ft. 6in., and only lost the steeplechase when he fell at the final hurdle. This success would be repeated at sports meetings in nearby towns.

He possibly won his greatest prize at the Geelong Easter Sports in 1872 when he defeated all-comers in his events and carried off the £10 Grand Easter Gift. Pompey’s victory was so well received that he returned to Geelong to compete in the next big athletics event on May 24, 1872 and though his performances were below his usual high standard he would be selected to play for the Geelong Football Club against the reigning premier, Carlton the next day.

I reckon I fought one of his grand kids in Jimmy Sharmans tent:)

Until recently I feel like there was a lot of sympathy between Fremantle and Geelong supporters, being from regional cities, outside the "big smoke". Then came along Ryan Crowley and Hayden Ballantyne....

There was a similar book printed in the 1980's called Cats Tales. I remember it had a section which had various clippings from the Geelong Advertiser describing certain games and incidents that happened over the years.

I remember an interesting tidbit that happened back in the early 1900's. Apparently we played an away game against South Melbourne (I think), and they charged our female members an entry fee, which wasn't an accepted practice back then. The Geelong hierarchy, instead of bringing it to the league's attention, decided to return the favour and do the same to South Melbourne in the return game later in the season. However, the Swans whinged to the league, and the club was forced to pay a fine, or face expulsion from the league! Needless to say, the club paid up, and I think the fine was actually given back at the end of the season. Seems rather petty if you ask me.

Don't know what happened to my copy of that book though. I might've got rid of it when I was given Road to Kardinia as a Christmas present. Either that or it fell to bits through overuse!

the club paid up, and I think the fine was actually given back at the end of the season. Seems rather petty if you ask me.!
Some things never change, as evidenced by Melbourne and their 'fine' for tanking

VFA 1884 Premiers Medal (T. Cahill, GFC)
RARE PREMIERSHIP MEDAL SHINES LIGHT ON FOOTBALL CLUB’S SUCCESS​

When the Geelong Football Club won the Victorian Football Association premiership in 1884, it was the club’s sixth win in a competition that had started eight years earlier. It was a team of tough and talented players for whom a trip to Melbourne was more than simply a day’s outing. It was a clash of cultures – often a physical clash - something that hasn’t changed for the fiercely independent club in well over a century.

(Two years later, while heading to Melbourne to play South Melbourne in the Grand Final, it was reported that saboteurs attempted to destroy one of the trains carrying Geelong supporters).

This was the golden era for Geelong. They blitzed the competition which consisted of eight teams, seven of whom remain in the expanded national competition. In Geelong’s 154 year history, it has won a total of 16 premierships or 10 since 1884.

While premierships have become rare for the club known colloquially as The Cats, rarer still are premiership medals from these very early years. Such a medal from 1884 has surfaced; a remarkable and valuable reminder of a team of champions who set the tone for Australia’s home-grown sporting code.

The medal is cast in solid gold and engraved on the front with the words ‘G.F.C./Premiers/1884’. On the reverse is the name ‘T.Cahill’.

GFCPremiers1884TCahill_zps80df35b0.jpg

(Two years later, while heading to Melbourne to play South Melbourne in the Grand Final, it was reported that saboteurs attempted to destroy one of the trains carrying Geelong supporters).

That's something you'd expect from Collingwood supporters! :p:D

That was 'the Game of the Century' - played in front of the largest crowd ever recorded to date - and with unparalleled public interest. Arguably the biggest and most important match of the 19th century

That's something you'd expect from Collingwood supporters! :p:D
Chewed the track up, eh? - Would explain the Carringbush 'toothless grin' :D

That was 'the Game of the Century' - played in front of the largest crowd ever recorded to date - and with unparalleled public interest. Arguably the biggest and most important match of the 19th century
Akin to squeezing around 65,000 into Kardinia Park (Simonds Stadium) today.​

Here's the Geelong Championship team from 1886​
1886ChampionsGeelong_zpsb3edbd05.jpg

1912: Photo of Geelong players, administrators and supporters on a trip to the Blue Mountains.​
1912GeelongBlueMountains_zpsf0023a33.jpg
Charles Brownlow (pictured front and ce^tre) with hands in fob pockets.
Charles Brownlow (pictured front and ce^tre) with hands in fob pockets.
Charles Brownlow (pictured front and centre) with hands in fob pockets.​

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Geelong Football Club history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back