GFL Geelong Football League - 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes excellent point AndSmithMustScore. That is why Joeys are spoilt for juniors. They have a feeder boys school of 1800 or so coming through so i guess it's no wonder they dominate the junior flags. They still buy in players though for the seniors rather than use too many of their juniors though for some reason.
Can you explain why there was 13 players in the Joeys seniors last week who had played juniors at the club and four of the nine players, who didn't play juniors, have been at the club for three years or more?

Is there many clubs in the GFL with those figures?

Can you explain why there was 13 players in the Joeys seniors last week who had played juniors at the club and four of the nine players, who didn't play juniors, have been at the club for three years or more?

Is there many clubs in the GFL with those figures?

You'd think Lara, Leopold and Colac due to their slight seperation from the main part of Geelong would ensure their local juniors stayed within their systems longer.

St Marys by a bit, 7-8 goals
St Joeys by about the 4-5 goal margin
Sth Barwon in match of the round (imo) by less than 3goals :spade:
Lara to have 2-0 for the first time in a while with a tough win (4-5 goals)
And colac and leopold in blowouts maybe +10 goals.:D

Anyone believe diff. just an uneducated guess....:thumbsu:

St Marys by a bit, 7-8 goals
St Joeys by about the 4-5 goal margin
Sth Barwon in match of the round (imo) by less than 3goals :spade:
Lara to have 2-0 for the first time in a while with a tough win (4-5 goals)
And colac and leopold in blowouts maybe +10 goals.:D

Anyone believe diff. just an uneducated guess....:thumbsu:

Don't be surprised if West get up. They have a strong side in this week. Agree with your other tips.

West vs Leopold- Leopold 27 pts
Grovedale vs St Marys- Buck to kick 7 Grovey by 3 pts
Newtown vs Joeys- Joeys easy 37 pts
North Shore vs Colac- Colac 145 pts
South Barwon vs Bell Park- Dragons by a kick
St Albans vs Lara- Lara impressed me last week, Cats by 20 pts

How can anyone take anything you say half serious when you say shite like this???:eek:

What there is shite old mate?? Grovey are alot stronger at home and alot of sides dont play to well up at burdoo ( including St Marys ) or you dont rate Adam Donohue?? Saw him play 1st hand last week and he'll be a brilliant GFL player.

What there is shite old mate?? Grovey are alot stronger at home and alot of sides dont play to well up at burdoo ( including St Marys ) or you dont rate Adam Donohue?? Saw him play 1st hand last week and he'll be a brilliant GFL player.

Very, very good player, but unfortunately for the Tigers St Marys have 22 players of that quality or there a bouts.

St Marys by 75+ pts up at the lovely Burdoo Reserve, might get there for a look myself tomorrow.

Leopold by 18 pts
St Joseph's by 47 pts
Colac by 20 odd goals
South Barwon by 20 pts
Lara by 10 goals

Wasn't too far off.
4out of 6.
Thought colac would have won by more. but its good to see nth shore a little more competitive than people expect.
And the lara/st Albans game was a bit close too. Davenport must have given them a fair hiding on the track, they def needed it.
Leopod won last night by 58pts for those whoi want to know.
Very different top 5 than people have seen for a while, hopefully the year trows up some surprising results, would be good to see some more compitition...

:footy: Make sure you tune in to a bumper edition of The Final Siren on 94.7, The Pulse tonight from 8-9pm. We'll speak to Leopold coach Aaron Greaves about his team's 2-0 start to the season and the prospect of more night footy, Queenscliff coach Heath Jamieson will join us to chat about his side's hammering of Barwon Heads and Geelong Falcons Regional Manager Mick Turner will be on the line to chat about the 21 Falcons players who were selected in the initial Vic Country Squad. You can join us to chat about any issues on 52225947. Don't forget to become a fan on Facebook as well!

No doubt ill get shot down for this but it has to be said....

Let me start off by saying, St Marys are clearly alot better side than Grovedale at the moment. But its time someone come out and admit there is blatant umpire cheating in games that involve St Marys St Joeys and Newtown when there playing against sides from the less " upper class areas " such as Grovey North Shore St Albans or West.

The addy will report that St Marys had a comfortable win yesterday because they dont report matches properly and just go off the scoreboard.. When the truth is cheating umpiring made the result look comfortable. Grovey hit the front midway thru the 3rd quarter only for the umpires to gift St Marys the assendency by giving 4 50 meter penalties that resulted in 4 goals by the end of the quarter. BANG GAME OVER RIGHT THERE.

The reputation Grovey have had over the years and the sometimes feral crowds up at burdoo mean the umpires have it in there mind before the game has even started that there not gonna give Grovey anything today, which makes it very hard to compete against the better sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt ill get shot down for this but it has to be said....

Let me start off by saying, St Marys are clearly alot better side than Grovedale at the moment. But its time someone come out and admit there is blatant umpire cheating in games that involve St Marys St Joeys and Newtown when there playing against sides from the less " upper class areas " such as Grovey North Shore St Albans or West.

The addy will report that St Marys had a comfortable win yesterday because they dont report matches properly and just go off the scoreboard.. When the truth is cheating umpiring made the result look comfortable. Grovey hit the front midway thru the 3rd quarter only for the umpires to gift St Marys the assendency by giving 4 50 meter penalties that resulted in 4 goals by the end of the quarter. BANG GAME OVER RIGHT THERE.

The reputation Grovey have had over the years and the sometimes feral crowds up at burdoo mean the umpires have it in there mind before the game has even started that there not gonna give Grovey anything today, which makes it very hard to compete against the better sides.

the umpiring is the same for everyone, shit, sure there may be a slight bias to some sides but over the duration of a match terrible umpiring decisions go both ways.

the umpiring is the same for everyone, shit, sure there may be a slight bias to some sides but over the duration of a match terrible umpiring decisions go both ways.

Tend to agree. GFL football will get GFL umpires, not AFL umpires bad decisions will get made every week. I'm sure the BFL, Ballarat, Bendigo, etc all have the same issues. Not sure Tim about club bias. I umpired for a season and it never comes into it. You just umpire the game as it unfolds. The big surprise for me when I was doing it was the angles, you just can't see everything. There are 2 or 3 poor decisions in every AFL game as well. My two cents.

Tend to agree. GFL football will get GFL umpires, not AFL umpires bad decisions will get made every week. I'm sure the BFL, Ballarat, Bendigo, etc all have the same issues. Not sure Tim about club bias. I umpired for a season and it never comes into it. You just umpire the game as it unfolds. The big surprise for me when I was doing it was the angles, you just can't see everything. There are 2 or 3 poor decisions in every AFL game as well. My two cents.

I can accept bad umpiring decisions if they go both ways but not when there so one sided, which seems to be the case alot. Some prime examples from the weekend were- St Marys being awarded a free kick 30 meters out by the field umpire who was in the center square. The other field umpire was in perfect position right in front of the play and didnt see any free kick goal to St Marys. 2nd- David Clarke having a shot on the run, missed the goals by a mile and tripped over his own foot as he kicked it, umpire pays a free kick Clarke has another shot and drills it. 3rd- Grovey penalised an out on the full by the boundary umpire who was at least 150 meters away looking into the sun.

This all happened in the 3rd quarter when the game was in the balance and like I predicted the addy have no idea about footy coverage and just assumed an easy St Marys win by going off the scoreboard.

On another subject.. David Clarke is the new Steven Handley of the GFL.. EG- Very very limited AFL footballer and now a very limited GFL footballer:eek:

On a more positive note the crowd up at Burdoo was the biggest ive seen there for years and hopefully they keep coming back all season. Grovedale aren't to far off becoming a pretty decent GFL side and if only they could find a giant CHF somewhere, they'd be a real handfull for alot of sides:thumbsu:

Tim I agree with a lot of what you said...but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts specifically about ferral Grovedale supporters abusing umpires. I would have thought that if I was umpiring..I probably couldn't help but be biased against a side who's supporters aggressively abused me. I thought Grovedale had come a long way since Raidme coached with regards to respect(players & supporters)...sounds like it slipped back a notch Sat'dy.

Tim I agree with a lot of what you said...but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts specifically about ferral Grovedale supporters abusing umpires. I would have thought that if I was umpiring..I probably couldn't help but be biased against a side who's supporters aggressively abused me. I thought Grovedale had come a long way since Raidme coached with regards to respect(players & supporters)...sounds like it slipped back a notch Sat'dy.

Have you got any particullar moments of crowd abuse your talking bout shad?? Personally i love the passion that comes from the Grovedale supporters. They get big crowds to most games ( probably more than most clubs ) and keep coming back even tho there side hasn't played finals sine 97.

I agree with your point about the umpires but I also think its hard for people who have such a passion for there footy club not being a little abusive when the crucial umpiring decisions go against there side.

Have you got any particullar moments of crowd abuse your talking bout shad?? Personally i love the passion that comes from the Grovedale supporters. They get big crowds to most games ( probably more than most clubs ) and keep coming back even tho there side hasn't played finals sine 97.

I agree with your point about the umpires but I also think its hard for people who have such a passion for there footy club not being a little abusive when the crucial umpiring decisions go against there side.

Tim I understand the passion/abuse thing...we're all gulity of that..and it makes local footy..but when it crosses the line it is unhealthy...and at the 3 quarter time break...it was unhealthy..

Had the pleasure of seeing my first local Geelong game in many years at the weekend (Newtown v Joeys - not connected to either club it was just the most convenient venue). My partner who also grew up in the Geelong area commented when we were leaving what a good family friendly atmosphere it was and that she was a bit worried on the way to the game about feeling out of place. We sat on the fence right out the front of the bar area with our boys aged 7 and 4yrs with an old mate from Drysdale and had a great afternoon. Even when Peter Street failed to make the distance from 35 in the second qtr there was little heckling from the home support towards Street or the resulting half assed free kick awarded to Joeys in the goal square from the missed shot.

We go to watch St. George locally in the Sydney Afl but the standard of course doesn't compare to a good GFL game. Cheers Newtown & Chilwell Footy Club for a great afternoon.

Tim I understand the passion/abuse thing...we're all gulity of that..and it makes local footy..but when it crosses the line it is unhealthy...and at the 3 quarter time break...it was unhealthy..

I may be guilty of the time your talking about there Shad. Pm me if you'd like and ill explain it to you in full.

I can accept bad umpiring decisions if they go both ways but not when there so one sided, which seems to be the case alot. Some prime examples from the weekend were- St Marys being awarded a free kick 30 meters out by the field umpire who was in the center square. The other field umpire was in perfect position right in front of the play and didnt see any free kick goal to St Marys. 2nd- David Clarke having a shot on the run, missed the goals by a mile and tripped over his own foot as he kicked it, umpire pays a free kick Clarke has another shot and drills it. 3rd- Grovey penalised an out on the full by the boundary umpire who was at least 150 meters away looking into the sun.

This all happened in the 3rd quarter when the game was in the balance and like I predicted the addy have no idea about footy coverage and just assumed an easy St Marys win by going off the scoreboard.

On another subject.. David Clarke is the new Steven Handley of the GFL.. EG- Very very limited AFL footballer and now a very limited GFL footballer:eek:

On a more positive note the crowd up at Burdoo was the biggest ive seen there for years and hopefully they keep coming back all season. Grovedale aren't to far off becoming a pretty decent GFL side and if only they could find a giant CHF somewhere, they'd be a real handfull for alot of sides:thumbsu:
grovedale will not make the finals for atleast another 10 years. they are that far off the top 5 clubs its not even funny, they will not be good until they can re-group their now ex good classy juniours, cant not see this taking place sorry tim:rolleyes:

grovedale will not make the finals for atleast another 10 years. they are that far off the top 5 clubs its not even funny, they will not be good until they can re-group their now ex good classy juniours, cant not see this taking place sorry tim:rolleyes:

You might want to state how many Grovedale games you have watched this season in order to form that opinion.

You might want to state how many Grovedale games you have watched this season in order to form that opinion.

Spot on muttonchops. Was a really good game against Lara with really not alot between either side and we hit the front mid way thru the 3rd term against St Marys untill some terrible umpiring took the wind out of our sails. No bias there either just stating whats happened so far..

Spot on muttonchops. Was a really good game against Lara with really not alot between either side and we hit the front mid way thru the 3rd term against St Marys untill some terrible umpiring took the wind out of our sails. No bias there either just stating whats happened so far..
did lara have a full side in? e.g smith and hollmer or were they on geelong duties? havent seen them this year and dont really intend on wasting my time, the best they are capable off is the stock standard 7th for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back