GFL Geelong Football League - 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Geelong West St Peters are considering a move out to Armstrongs Creek. Interesting. A brave move but hardly one that you could blame them for doing. Would they change their name to Armstong Creek Roosters?

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2010/10/26/221071_geelong_sports.html

I think i can see an existing GFL team heading out there. If not West then maybe St Albans who have simular problems as West with many other teams in their area competing for players.

I'm not sure I'd follow them out there as a supporter to be honest.

I'm a St Peter's lad through and through and to me that would be the final semblance
of the old club gone if they shifted it all the way out there.

I'd probably just stop following local football altogether.

I know a lot of old St Peter's people whose kids make up a good portion of the juniors at the club and I can't see them driving all the way out to there.

Meaning even more of the St Peter's crew are lost to the club.

Robertson has signed a two year deal at Joeys so I believe that leaves us with Grovedale as being the only club that has yet to appoint a Coach.
I call on you Tim Finnigan to let us know what the hell is going out there.

Robertson has signed a two year deal at Joeys so I believe that leaves us with Grovedale as being the only club that has yet to appoint a Coach.

Is Robo signed as a player coach or non player coach?? great get by joeys if he decides to pull boots on lets just hope he can keep majority of list together and pick a few up but his signature might sway a few to stay and go there:footy:

Is Robo signed as a player coach or non player coach?? great get by joeys if he decides to pull boots on lets just hope he can keep majority of list together and pick a few up but his signature might sway a few to stay and go there:footy:

will robo's signing stop the walk out from a few players that are in talk's with other clubs/leagues???

I'm not sure I'd follow them out there as a supporter to be honest.

I'm a St Peter's lad through and through and to me that would be the final semblance
of the old club gone if they shifted it all the way out there.

I'd probably just stop following local football altogether.

I know a lot of old St Peter's people whose kids make up a good portion of the juniors at the club and I can't see them driving all the way out to there.

Meaning even more of the St Peter's crew are lost to the club.

They're just doing research at present in an attempt to secure their long-term future and obviously weighing up the ability to sustain themselves from within in their current location and climate or shifting out to an area that will boast 60,000 people within 20yrs and be the state's fastest growing suburb. New homes, new families and a sport's club in their own backyard. Good on them for at least looking into it and not standing still.

They're just doing research at present in an attempt to secure their long-term future and obviously weighing up the ability to sustain themselves from within in their current location and climate or shifting out to an area that will boast 60,000 people within 20yrs and be the state's fastest growing suburb. New homes, new families and a sport's club in their own backyard. Good on them for at least looking into it and not standing still.

I'm sure they are doing what they think is best for the future of the club. And for that I don't hold it against them at all.

But if they moved out there then it's not the local club anymore(for those in the Hamlyn Heights/Manifold Heights area), it's just a team for Armstrong Creek.

I shall follow with interest though the situation to see what ultimately happens.

will robo's signing stop the walk out from a few players that are in talk's with other clubs/leagues???
The interview in the addy with Mitho about the robertson signing today was nauseous."yeah he wants to know about you, he is interested in you etc..." what is he paid for?someone that listens to your problems while you lie on the couch(!) or someone who can win games for the club.Reminds me of Brian Cook talking about signing the new Geelong coach"we are in love, we courted him, the honeymoon etc.are these people looking for coaches or love??ha!
Surprising signing Robertson.Cant see him being a go getter.One would think it would be a step down for him, but that's just me.

The interview in the addy with Mitho about the robertson signing today was nauseous."yeah he wants to know about you, he is interested in you etc..." what is he paid for?someone that listens to your problems while you lie on the couch(!) or someone who can win games for the club.Reminds me of Brian Cook talking about signing the new Geelong coach"we are in love, we courted him, the honeymoon etc.are these people looking for coaches or love??ha!
Surprising signing Robertson.Cant see him being a go getter.One would think it would be a step down for him, but that's just me.

The haters will hate! :rolleyes:

I for one think its great to see someone like Robbo in the GFL, not exactly a step down after playing for Shepp Swans last season. He wants to coach, what's wrong with learning at a country club??? Seems like a good bloke, that's all the above seems to say.

Like I said, the haters will hate!

Welcome to the GFL Robbo!

The haters will hate! :rolleyes:

I for one think its great to see someone like Robbo in the GFL, not exactly a step down after playing for Shepp Swans last season. He wants to coach, what's wrong with learning at a country club??? Seems like a good bloke, that's all the above seems to say.

Like I said, the haters will hate!

Welcome to the GFL Robbo!

GVFL > GFL

was apparently surplus to requirements at the Swans, they're notorious big spenders who end up with no success and they more or less told him they'd rather use the cash they were spending on him on three or four country guns instead.

He'll tear the comp apart but I also question his coaching ability/motivation.

Having said all that, great get for Joeys (playing wise) and it will certainly further raise the profile of the league which is always a good thing.

Will it be enough to take Joeys another couple of steps, who knows?

Not much untill things are sorted out with Harvey Lang which will hopefully be this week. Not much else to add at the moment.

GVFL > GFL
, they're notorious big spenders who end up with no success and they more or less told him they'd rather use the cash they were spending on him on three or four country guns instead.

He'll tear the comp apart but I also question his coaching ability/motivation.

Having said all that, great get for Joeys (playing wise) and it will certainly further raise the profile of the league which is always a good thing.

Will it be enough to take Joeys another couple of steps, who knows?

Seen a few GVFL matches this year and its definately not higher or better than GFL.

Seen a few GVFL matches this year and its definately not higher or better than GFL.

up for debate I guess, depth is a bit of an issue in the GV but the top echelon of players is as good as it gets..

they are the number 1 ranked VCFL league at the moment so that's gotta be respected.

Ovens and Murray has the best overall standard in my opinion.

Robbo kicked 106 goals and he's surplus to requirements? Must have had something to do with money or not training?

Obviously his playing ability wasn't the reason they didn't want him anymore but i'm letting everyone know it wasn't as if the Swans threw everything at him to keep him.

They weren't going to "renew his contract" if that makes sense.

"Thanks for the season, but we are going in a different direction next year" type thing.

I am extremely intrigued as to how he will go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

robbo on 100,000 over to years!!! not to bad. No wonder why joeys other players are look elsewhere

robbo on 100,000 over to years!!! not to bad. No wonder why joeys other players are look elsewhere
$100,000 over how many years? did you say two? That is just ridiculous!! I dont blame players who are looking elsewhere.Takes a while to get used to a new coach.Mitho speaking for him to the addy just means that it is a mates signing. not based on capability at all.jobs for mates more like it! Wonder what Joeys was thinking..

Great players do not necessarily make great coaches. Sport is full of them. A few that spring to mind are Tim Watson, Peter Hudson & to borrow from another game; Magic Johnson. Let's not forget that besides the massive pay packet Robertson would be on and regardless if it's jobs for mates or not, he has absolutely NO coaching experience at all (not even as an asst) and is now going to take the reins of a GFL club. It would be a tough ask to start coaching in any league, let alone a league that has become as strong as the GFL. James Hird has no idea what he is in for. Just ask Michael Voss and see the mess he has created.

Great players do not necessarily make great coaches. Sport is full of them. A few that spring to mind are Tim Watson, Peter Hudson & to borrow from another game; Magic Johnson. Let's not forget that besides the massive pay packet Robertson would be on and regardless if it's jobs for mates or not, he has absolutely NO coaching experience at all (not even as an asst) and is now going to take the reins of a GFL club. It would be a tough ask to start coaching in any league, let alone a league that has become as strong as the GFL. James Hird has no idea what he is in for. Just ask Michael Voss and see the mess he has created.
he has absolutely NO coaching experience at all (not even as an asst)
Thats what I cant understand.New to Geelong,new to the club and players,new to coaching. Cant figure out the selection at all.Worse still cant figure out Mitho doing his talking for him! Strangest longest interview I have read in the addy in a long time.
Dont get me started on james hird. injured for most of the season towards the end of his career,no coaching experience, not tough which is what Essendon needs to get back up.

Let's not get carried away Sugar. Sure GFL is a great league, but if he is 100% committed an ex AFL player with such experience should be able to do the job no worries. I'm sure there have been plenty of GFL coaches who have started coaching straight after playing at GFL level. What did you want Robertson to do first - coach the St Josephs school side for 2 years? If I was a St Josephs player I would be excited rather than worrying about what the coach is getting paid and how that would affect my payments. Hopefully he doesn't hold back on going for several hangers each game

Let's not get carried away Sugar. Sure GFL is a great league, but if he is 100% committed an ex AFL player with such experience should be able to do the job no worries. I'm sure there have been plenty of GFL coaches who have started coaching straight after playing at GFL level. What did you want Robertson to do first - coach the St Josephs school side for 2 years? If I was a St Josephs player I would be excited rather than worrying about what the coach is getting paid and how that would affect my payments. Hopefully he doesn't hold back on going for several hangers each game

U hit the nail on the head boy blue. I am sure robertson who has played over 200 afl games can coach a gfl team. james garvey has never coached but he is coaching south barwon

I agree with everybody actually. It's great to have an ex AFL champion gracing our ovals but I do wonder if he'll win over the clicky, arrogant joeys set. I don't really think that's his fit. Lets face it; Joeys have always been more interested in big noting & ego's than winning premierships and they'll probably never learn to stop giving jobs to their mates but hey, it'll be good for us all to see Robbo lighting up some games hopefully. Frando the reason Mitho (who is president Vince Littore's brother in law) spoke for Robbo in the Addy was to mask the rambling of Robbo. I think we all agree its great to have him in the GFL but there's no doubt he's a space cadet.Just refer to his farewell AFL speech ramblings! If they hadn't unplugged his mike and turned the lights off on him he'd still be rambling on about seashells and love ins and the rhythym of the sun. Maybe he can sing to them at half time to inspire them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back