Geelong rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

What is Geelong guilty of exactly ??

Surely creating a club culture that makes them an attractive destination coupled with the lifestyle options they can offer prospective players is not a hanging offence

All they have done is used their "unique selling points" to target specific players who want those things, I'm sure there would be plenty of players who wouldn't that they don't talk to.

On the flipside, many non-Cats fans (I'm one of them too) are dubious about their ability to fit all of their huge salaries in the cap. Thing is, unless they have some super-dooper secret activities behind the scenes that are undetectable, they play within the same rules as the other clubs but just seem to be better at it. Again, no hangng offence there.

If the other clubs are not happy about how successful Geelong are onfield and their ability to continually attract high-end players, maybe they should be reviewing their own inhouse measures & structures to try and emulate them instead of sooking up. Stop loking at them and start looking internally, its the only way you will ever improve.

Yes, it really sh1ts me to see Geelong go about their stuff every year but they are a well-run club, it's only the ongoing woe-is-us petty whinges from jealous non-Cats fans that make this is a bigger issue than it really is.

I wouldn’t have thought Cats had the most expensive list in the league. Surely if they were so clearly rorting the cap then their name would be permanently at the top of each year’s ladder predictor. Especially given how they’re universally accepted to be extremely well run and have league leading footy dept. How could they be predicted to finish anywhere but top, and yet they’re routinely not.

Last edited:
To be fair Elixuh, you can't talk. Brisbane have been getting a leg up since the late 90's.
Hell' just imagine what could have transpired had Geelong been afforded the luxury of playing most of the season at Kardinia Park.

I don’t know who to believe anymore, the cats fans who claim they play better away from KP or the ones who say they’d be 23-0 at KP.

I wouldn’t have thought Cats had the most expensive list in the league. Surely if they were so clearly rotting the cap then their name would be permanently at the top of each year’s ladder predictor. Especially given how they’re universally accepted to be extremely well run and have league leading footy dept. How could they be predicted to finish anywhere but top, and yet they’re routinely not.
Only three players in the top 100 paid players and two of those were in the 90's

Well, they are: ‘there are cats fans that claim they would be 23-0 at KP’ or words to that effect.

I don’t think I’ve seen any cats fans say that

Am I not able to embellish?

1729395073756.gif

I had a Geelong fellow the other day telling me they play better away from KP so playing there isn’t an advantage.

Cat fans often say they are 'just a really well run club.' What is that exactly? In what ways specifically are they better run than other clubs?

Also, apparently players will happily accept 'unders' to play for Geelong. That being the case, how do the players who are being paid unders feel when someone like Cameron or now Bailey Smith come in and are being paid big money? Do they get a bit pissed off or what's the go?

Genuinely interested.

Cat fans often say they are 'just a really well run club.' What is that exactly? In what ways specifically are they better run than other clubs?

Also, apparently players will happily accept 'unders' to play for Geelong. That being the case, how do the players who are being paid unders feel when someone like Cameron or now Bailey Smith come in and are being paid big money? Do they get a bit pissed off or what's the go?

Genuinely interested.

I’m genuinely interested in all the premium A graders we allegedly have.

Extra home game? With the least home games in the league, that is BigFooty logic at its best
Well according to the MCG tenants, they get less home games or home ground advantages towards most clubs.

I have no issues in cats having 10 home games in Geelong.

Put it this way.... Cats rake in more profits and money getting 40,000 paying $40 a ticket at Kardinia compared to 55,000 people paying $40 a ticket at Docklands.

Why? Because Kardinia Park rent is dirt cheap compared to Docklands

So if it's Collingwood vs Richmond, who gets the home ground advantage? LoL.

And don’t forget Tim Kelly - overlooked by the 2 WA teams in successive years.

As for pick 7 in 2022, that offer was open to all 17 clubs, the condition being Jack Bowes came with the pick. As it happened, Bowes had been on Cats’ radar.
There was a small reason why Tim Kelly was overlooked by not only the local WA clubs but all 18 clubs in general 1 or 2 years before he was drafted.

But let's fill in the blanks.

Why was Tim Kelly taken by the cats at pick 24 in 2017?

Well.... The bloke averaged 28 disposals a game in the WAFL and helped South Fremantle make a preliminary final in that 2017 WAFL season.

So.... Why wasn't he picked up in the 2016 AFL draft as a late pick or rookie pick or pre season draft?

He only averaged 20 disposals a game in the WAFL.

Again.... Why wasn't he taken in the 2015 AFL draft? Again... He only averaged 20 disposals in the WAFL.

So essentially he stood out in 2017. But he was a solid 20 disposals a game mid in the last 2 seasons.

It's not a personal knock on anyone. It's just the way it is.

They've become a professional AFL club instead of being the VFL's country bumpkins as they once were. Things have been taken much more seriously since 2000.
That is true....

Some Big footy posters on here are asking about the Cats and the Salary cap. Yep they got and traded in Bailey Smith from the Bulldogs.

Let us Be Honest here.

I personally wouldnt mind playing for the cats. Salary cap is $17 million

Hand me a 5 or 6 year deal at $3,120,000.

I am happy to be paid 3 million over 5 or 6 seasons.

More than happy to be paid $10,000 a week or $520,000 a year for 6 years.

More than happy to be paid $12,000 a week or $624,000 a year for 5 years.

Again, I am not pot shotting Any AFL club or clubs. I am dead certain there is a fair amount of cats players on $500,000 to $600,000 a year. Its not exactly centrelink money.

There is 45 players in an AFL list. Salary cap increases a small bit each season. It will eventually hit 20 million.

I said this on other threads. Minimum Playing list salary cap should drop down to 90 percent or even 92.5 percent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are too many losers on this site.

If you believe in the Dank/Robinson Geelong are cheats conspiracy then you are one of those losers.
Be better. We're clean.

Deal with it.

There was a small reason why Tim Kelly was overlooked by not only the local WA clubs but all 18 clubs in general 1 or 2 years before he was drafted.

But let's fill in the blanks.

Why was Tim Kelly taken by the cats at pick 24 in 2017?

Well.... The bloke averaged 28 disposals a game in the WAFL and helped South Fremantle make a preliminary final in that 2017 WAFL season.

So.... Why wasn't he picked up in the 2016 AFL draft as a late pick or rookie pick or pre season draft?

He only averaged 20 disposals a game in the WAFL.

Again.... Why wasn't he taken in the 2015 AFL draft? Again... He only averaged 20 disposals in the WAFL.

So essentially he stood out in 2017. But he was a solid 20 disposals a game mid in the last 2 seasons.

It's not a personal knock on anyone. It's just the way it is.
Geelong is one of the oldest sporting clubs, and One of the oldest Australian football clubs. They are over an hour away from Melbourne, you aren’t suggesting after 150 years they have to go play in Melbourne after they’ve shown it’s more than sustainable to play in Geelong?

Not sure what your point is really? They shouldn’t get the same amount of home games as others?

Geelong is one of the oldest sporting clubs, and One of the oldest Australian football clubs. They are over an hour away from Melbourne, you aren’t suggesting after 150 years they have to go play in Melbourne after they’ve shown it’s more than sustainable to play in Geelong?

Not sure what your point is really? They shouldn’t get the same amount of home games as others?
read my post again... It had Nothing to do with Property prices in Geelong.

I simply replied on why Tim Kelly wasnt drafted before the 2017 AFL draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong rorting the system

Remove this Banner Ad

Back