Geelong - the flat track bullies

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you suggesting we should have held back against Richmond?

Fact is, no matter what Geelong does we'll draw criticism. The media fuels it and you suckers lap it up.

Richmond are a shitty side, same as Carlton and Melbourne so we beat them. We lost to Hawthorn and North who have proven to be better than expected this year with good wins in recent weeks.

Terry Wallace in his infinite wisdom dropped Tivendale and Pat Bowden this week and brought in youngsters. They were ripe for a shellacking.

Hang on, you can't have it both ways. Everyone told us we should have beaten Hawthorn, but we didn't. If we were flat track bullies, surely we would have smashed them...?

But you never beat us. you're a cats fan, you know how it is

Are Geelong the Graeme Hick Of the AFL.
Brilliant against the mediocre/crap teams.
Gutless/useless against real pressure and talent.

Funny you should say that.

With my tongue firmly in cheek today, I said to my brother they were the South African cricket team of the AFL. Great against the minnows but put them up against the big boys and they aim for the stars but end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Obviously I don't really think that - probably because we've got the Cats next week and I'm not sure we're going to win!

Well we generally play very well against WC and Sydney (beaten them both. 05 (12 goals +) and 06 (5 Goals) respectively and thrashed 3rd place freo at their home by 11 goals) and shit against Hawthorn / Collingwood...

so...are you saying West Coast/Sydney are poor and Hawthorn / Collingwood are good :eek: :thumbsdown:

Cat's have played good footy against good calibre teams, they sometimes come out not switched on and a team that works hard enough can make them pay.

Eagles next week will be a good test of character for them.

Geelong are a flakey bunch of individuals. Not saying they are soft, they are just mentally weak in terms of confidence. They can self implode at a drop of the hat. Look at last year, they were going great, they came out and beat some in form team, I think it might of been the bulldogs, then in a much hyped game got thrashed by Collingwood to the tune of over 100 points. They need to forget about how good they may be in other rounds and actually adhere to the old cliche and take it one week at a time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the only reason this critisism occurs is because everyone overrated them as a side... this isnt a critisism to geelong i recon there a great team but many poeple last year put them as premiership favourties, i dont think they were ever that good. i dont know how geelong supporters thought they were going to go last season but probably not a premiership.. i think of them as a great side but not a premiership side at least not now... they are a victim of others expectations..

Now North is "real pressure and talent" and one of the "big boys"? I feel so much better than last week, when the only reason we won was just that Geelong were actually crap.

Seriously, I don't really get why there is such a gap between Geelong's best and worst. They have a pretty stable team, reasonably experienced now. They have an experienced coach who should know the team and his own job well. Why the ups and downs?

Now North is "real pressure and talent" and one of the "big boys"? I feel so much better than last week, when the only reason we won was just that Geelong were actually crap.

Seriously, I don't really get why there is such a gap between Geelong's best and worst. They have a pretty stable team, reasonably experienced now. They have an experienced coach who should know the team and his own job well. Why the ups and downs?

Sunday's Hearld Sun explained it pretty well. Culture. Check out the 2 page spread in the middle of the sports section.

Not sure it's as simplistic as this.....as Geelong also have a reputation for losing games against lower sides they are expected to beat.

Can't have it both ways.

Guess we just have to go with their best is very very good, but they don't reproduce it consistently.

how well each quarter that gelong plays is as predictable as a coin toss, sometimes you can throw 4 heads in a row like we did against richmond, but the odss are that their is going to be a couple of tails, and our good is not good enough to beat decent teams with only 2 good quarters of football, though we still manage to beat Melbourne by 50 odd points despite our last 2 quarters being our worse for the year,

Every media pundit has used these exact same words - why don't you try a bit of originality? Next you'll come out with handbaggers.
How do you know I didnt think of it first?
I actually had a chuckle when i read it in age this morning, having posted it last night.

By the way I personally think it would have been better for the Cats to win by 7 or 8 goals. Not that you dont take those huge wins when they come, but actually feel sorry for the pressure they will no doubt be put under by cats fans who cant keep a lid on things.

How do you know I didnt think of it first?
I actually had a chuckle when i read it in age this morning, having posted it last night.

By the way I personally think it would have been better for the Cats to win by 7 or 8 goals. Not that you dont take those huge wins when they come, but actually feel sorry for the pressure they will no doubt be put under by cats fans who cant keep a lid on things.

Keeping a lid on things creates a pressure all of its own. We haven't had a lot to be excited about down at Catland for a long time and unfortunately that shows. Will the Hawks fans be keeping a lid on buddy? Nah, its up to the TEAM to rise above that. Only when Geelong actually manages to do this can we be called a good side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong - the flat track bullies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back