Geelong - The New Saint Kilda?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collingwood were never going to defeat Geelong with Simon Buckley in the team. Last night he showed why the Demons gave him the arse.
Geelong were the better side on the night, suck it up Rick.

Notsureifserious.jpg re Simon Buckley. He was excellent last night for the most part. Surely u jest?

I thought midway through third quarter we had blown it with poor kicking but at the time was happy enough to know that the newly tweaked cats gameplan was now competitive with Collingwood.

In prelim last year Cats were non competitve. Watching that game 5 mins in knew were going to lose.

Last night showed that we can take it up to Collingwood

I think the upside is greater for Geelong than it is for Pies. I am convinced our best is better than theirs.

Nah you wont, not when they slot Jolly their captain and a couple of others in and get a dry day/night. They will destroy you like the prelim if not worse with Ablett. Harry and dids are playing at about 30% and they still would have beat you on friday if not for a wrong wistle. Dont get false hope over Friday night

She probably has an ipad or some other tablet type computer in the kitchen.

But honestly... I laugh at the fact that she thinks that Geelongs inaccuracy was caused by only having 5 forwards at times last night and that they would have lost if they had kicked straight. I doubt she would be saying that it was Geelong who would have lost if they had kicked straight, but if Collingwood had kicked straight, Geelong would have lost.

If both teams had kicked straight, Geelong would have still won the game. They tailored their game plan with the intention of beating the pies and did a very good job of it. If they had kicked straight in the first quarter, they would have massacred the pies and the game would have been over as a contest at quarter time.

KS and TT are just upset because they had all these lovely puff pieces ready to post about how Collingwood had no serious challengers this year and would go through the season undefeated... and now they cant post them.

I am looking forward to round 17 and round 24 when Carlton runs out a full strength team against them and the rematch between Geelong and Collingwood. Quite possibly for the minor premiership.

I am also looking forward now to next week when Carlton and Geelong go head to head :D

I think her point being that if Geelong kicked straight the ball comes back to the centre after a goal....where quite possibly Collingwood win the clearance and lock the ball into their forward line as opposed to Geelong kicking point after point in the first 10 minutes with the ball locked in thier forward line, which although they were scores, made the scoring shots for and against look much better in their favour.
Does that make sense?

Funnily enough KS is right 49 times out of 50 and that one time she's wrong is usually in a detail not core to the discussion.
Those she frequently bests on all things Collingwood, football and even their own sides nearly always revert to the sort of shit posted by Cancat, because he can't counter with anything else.
Sorry Cancat, not picking on you particularly, but that's the sort of post you get from the posters she hammers often.

LOL...classic. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

The best thing about completing a win over Collingwood is that KS now won't venture to our board with his/her claptrap till Round 24.

Blessed relief.

It's going to be painful though. After all, if we play the same team in Round 24 that we did last night, they'll all be at least 112 days older, and according to her, the team we had in on Friday night were too old as it was. :p

I think the result probably would have been different had Collingwood played closer to their best than they did.

This might be an outrageous suggestion, but has it occurred to you that the reason Collingwood didn't play to their best on Friday night was because their opposition simply didn't allow them to?

I think her point being that if Geelong kicked straight the ball comes back to the centre after a goal....where quite possibly Collingwood win the clearance and lock the ball into their forward line as opposed to Geelong kicking point after point in the first 10 minutes with the ball locked in thier forward line, which although they were scores, made the scoring shots for and against look much better in their favour.
Does that make sense?

Funnily enough KS is right 49 times out of 50 and that one time she's wrong is usually in a detail not core to the discussion.
Those she frequently bests on all things Collingwood, football and even their own sides nearly always revert to the sort of shit posted by Cancat, because he can't counter with anything else.
Sorry Cancat, not picking on you particularly, but that's the sort of post you get from the posters she hammers often.

Mate, when KS comes out with some stupid comments about how they are obviously more knowledgeable than some people about the game, you would have to expect some for of ridicule to be heading their way. I have argued with KS in the past and completely shot down their arguments and they have stuck to their point even though they have lost the argument. In the end, I just gave up and insulted them for being so blatently one-eyed (possibly didnt help that we are mortal enemies by dint of the teams we support).

Ok, to refute their comment that if Geelong had kicked straight, they would have lost... and you backing them up with the comment that Collingwood might possibly win the clearance... you guys were monstered in the rucks and clearances last night and it's quite conceivable that you would have lost by even more.

Yes, they do know a couple of things about the game, but to claim that they are one of the most informed and knowledgeable posters on big footy is a joke.

Mate, when KS comes out with some stupid comments about how they are obviously more knowledgeable than some people about the game, you would have to expect some for of ridicule to be heading their way. I have argued with KS in the past and completely shot down their arguments and they have stuck to their point even though they have lost the argument. In the end, I just gave up and insulted them for being so blatently one-eyed (possibly didnt help that we are mortal enemies by dint of the teams we support).

Ok, to refute their comment that if Geelong had kicked straight, they would have lost... and you backing them up with the comment that Collingwood might possibly win the clearance... you guys were monstered in the rucks and clearances last night and it's quite conceivable that you would have lost by even more.

Yes, they do know a couple of things about the game, but to claim that they are one of the most informed and knowledgeable posters on big footy is a joke.

LOL they, their....what...the Royal "they"?
Suggest you point me to these discussions where you shot "them" down.
Bet you can't.

I'll take that 3 point loss. Was 35 or so points around the same time last year. Look how that year turned out. :thumbsu:

Friday night was more like a mirror image of Round 19 last year. You dominated us everywhere but the scoreboard that night, which was pretty much like what we did to you on Friday night.

IIRC, you had 12 more scoring shots, but only won by 22 points in Round 19 last year. We had 8 more scoring shots, but only won by 3 points on Friday.

Friday night was more like a mirror image of Round 19 last year. You dominated us everywhere but the scoreboard that night, which was pretty much like what we did to you on Friday night.

IIRC, you had 12 more scoring shots, but only won by 22 points in Round 19 last year. We had 8 more scoring shots, but only won by 3 points on Friday.

Definitely comparable in terms of how the game played out. You also outplayed us and deserved the win. I'm just saying that when compared with last years game around the same time we improved our losing margin.
It's a bit meaningless, but I gotta cling to something from that loss!

You're right, but that often happens when the less informed try to discuss any topic with the well informed such as myself.Well lets have a look at it then...

Holy moly, this is some quality self-loving idiocy.

LOL they, their....what...the Royal "they"?
Suggest you point me to these discussions where you shot "them" down.
Bet you can't.

I think he was simply trying to avoid the ambiguity surrounding KS's status as a person.

But seriously, these kind of threads are why people say the main board is shizen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah you wont, not when they slot Jolly their captain and a couple of others in and get a dry day/night. They will destroy you like the prelim if not worse with Ablett. Harry and dids are playing at about 30% and they still would have beat you on friday if not for a wrong wistle. Dont get false hope over Friday night

This Man, he knows.

Notsureifserious.jpg re Simon Buckley. He was excellent last night for the most part. Surely u jest?
Nope. Got a lot of the ball, but turned it over nearly every time.

Does that make sense?

No. Geelong smashed Collingwood in the clearances. More centre bounces would have helped the Cats, not the Pies.

I thought midway through third quarter we had blown it with poor kicking but at the time was happy enough to know that the newly tweaked cats gameplan was now competitive with Collingwood.

In prelim last year Cats were non competitve. Watching that game 5 mins in knew were going to lose.

Last night showed that we can take it up to Collingwood

I think the upside is greater for Geelong than it is for Pies. I am convinced our best is better than theirs.

i would be interested in your analysis of what geel's upside is from fri night? (apart from more accurate goal kicking of course)

from my viewing of the game, ottens dominated the ruck, the geel midfield were superior for 80% of the match, pendlebury and swan were well down on their usual efficiency, the geel backline rendered dawes ineffective and cloke to below his usual output, geel were at full strength while coll were missing 3 important cogs of their best 22, and despite all this geel got over the line by 3 pts courtesy of a bad umpiring call in the last 3 mins???? i certainly walked away thinking only 1 thing - when the pies are up and firing come sept, they will handle geel easily and my mind in fact was turned to who else might emerge as a serious challenger

i would be interested in your analysis of what geel's upside is from fri night? (apart from more accurate goal kicking of course)

from my viewing of the game, ottens dominated the ruck, the geel midfield were superior for 80% of the match, pendlebury and swan were well down on their usual efficiency, the geel backline rendered dawes ineffective and cloke to below his usual output, geel were at full strength while coll were missing 3 important cogs of their best 22, and despite all this geel got over the line by 3 pts courtesy of a bad umpiring call in the last 3 mins???? i certainly walked away thinking only 1 thing - when the pies are up and firing come sept, they will handle geel easily and my mind in fact was turned to who else might emerge as a serious challenger

Apt name.

Obviously, Collingwood had more important players out, but the Cats were missing: Milburn, Taylor Hunt, Shannon Byrnes and Cam Mooney, with the former two certainly in the Cats best 22 and the latter two possibly. While Geelong is much closer to their best 22 at the moment, they have a bunch of players with AFL experience who could do the job when called upon but can't get a game at the moment. Brown and Vardy will debut over the next month or so and are extremely exciting talents. Chapman, Varcoe, Enright and Wojcinski were all well down on their regular production. The domination everywhere but on the scoreboard is a positive sign, as was the comeback in the second half.

The game had parallels to Round 19 last year, when Collingwood were clearly the best side on the night and should have won by six goals, but didn't. It wasn't Geelong who made the most of a bad night at the office next time they played, it was the Pies who made sure the game was over by quarter time.

I'm not willing to say Geelong's upside is better than Collingwood's, the Pies would be a much different prospect with Jolly (especially) in the team. I still think the Pies are ahead of the Cats, but I'm more confident of our premiership chances than I was last week, which I believe is fair enough.

Kudos to Geelong, they are a worthy challenger.

Watched the game closely tonight, at times I wondered why Geelong didn't put the pettle to the mettle. They had clear dominance over Collingwood & actually didn't take advantage of it owing to their new game plan.

It's stop start & full of flooding & zoning. For years Geelong supporters cried that they played the game as how it be should be played. They were the anti St. Kilda.

Now they are exactly like the Saints.

You clearly did not watch the game. Geelong played free flowing fast football. The often went long to their forwards and moved it quickly at all costs.

Geelong dominated the contest and kicked poorly for goal, that's why both scores were low. This was not a defensive game, just a one sided game where the dominant team kicked poorly.

Geelong had 25 scoring shots to Collingwoods 17. This does not indicate a defensive St. Kilda like game.

The confidence that comes with knowing the game plan can beat Collingwood.

Kudos to Geelong, they are a worthy challenger.

Watched the game closely tonight, at times I wondered why Geelong didn't put the pettle to the mettle. They had clear dominance over Collingwood & actually didn't take advantage of it owing to their new game plan.

It's stop start & full of flooding & zoning. For years Geelong supporters cried that they played the game as how it be should be played. They were the anti St. Kilda.

Now they are exactly like the Saints.

Maybe Geelong played Collingwood that way because you've gotta fight fire with fire.

You clearly did not watch the game. Geelong played free flowing fast football. The often went long to their forwards and moved it quickly at all costs.

Geelong dominated the contest and kicked poorly for goal, that's why both scores were low. This was not a defensive game, just a one sided game where the dominant team kicked poorly.

Geelong had 25 scoring shots to Collingwoods 17. This does not indicate a defensive St. Kilda like game.

Thank you...:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back