Moved Thread Geelong, the rest of the competition needs to have a conversation with you (whinge thread)....

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I guess consider this an 'intervention'.

Neutral supporters like myself are a little bewildered with where your players would like the game to head.

With respect, what is with the ongoing and seemingly systematic free kick milking?

What is with appealing for free kicks en masse around the contest (arms out in a V)? over and over and over....

What is with the appauling increasing frequencies of ducking (as if it needed to get any worse) and playing injured when tackled?

How much time at training do the players practice this in lieu of playing honest contested footy?

why the disgruntled chats with the umps at the end of EVERY quarter and nearly every free kick paid against you?

why does the coach seemingly spends more energy reacting to free real kicks than anything else?

importantly, why does this behaviour occur irrespective of the triviality or seriousness of the contest?

Why is there a perception from neutral supporters that in totality, this approach happens with players from your club more than any other?

i get to an extent its part of the game but jeez, its seemingly a peripheral matter at other clubs whereas its unapologetically front and centre with your club on game day, over and over and over.....

Its now seemingly a core value of the playing group.

Perhaps your supporters are blinded by their love for the club, but as a neutral observer of the game, in totality its been borderline humerous/eyebrow raising for a year or two, but in totality its so far beyond 'normal' now, and questions need answers.

Does it keep getting more prevalent from here? What do you want your club to stand for? Professional victims or hard working champs with integrity?

What will be the Selwood's legacy once he retires? will he be more tarnished than Lloyd and his diving?

You are better than this Geelong. And imho the comp deserves better too.

Seriously.

Please think about it.

Regards, a neutral supporter.

Great game, as a neutral (who hates Hawthorn because of their endless success) I ended up barracking for Hawks because of Geelong's milking for free kicks and the fact Dangerfield who I love watching can't do couldn't do any wrong by the umpires (should have had two obvious frees against) and if he sneezes gets given a free kick.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

10 posts in and no gif?

I will be the first to call out our own... Rough has been throwing his arms out alot this year... obviously we have Puopolo too.

Although I do believe that Geelong is training for minor technical advantages and it doesn't actually help.

I noted at one point today Danger juggled a mark. He landed on the second juggle a bit splayed. He made a deliberate point of awkwardly getting up from the closest part of his body to the goals (not just standing up) and then marking the mark. He gained a metre I guess through this.

I am a good read of people though and I could see this distracted him from his kick. He missed.

Can't cite other examples but I think working the rules generally means the rules work you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like when Selwood or Danger or Hawkins bark at the umps after not getting a free and I think Scott could rein in his reactions but I think it's a bit silly to pretend Geelong are the only team with people who do this. From today's game I can count Roughy, Sicily, JOM and Mitchell among players who remonstrated with the umps at various points. As I say, I don't like it when it happens and I reckon all it will do is make the umps think less of you at the next contest but I reckon stating it as a Geelong-centric problem is a bit off. Am certain people will fly in and disagree though, which is their right.

Since when was supporting Richmond a neutral thing...gosh I read some stupid things at times on here.

He might not be a neutral in the sense of the word, but what he says is dead right in every aspect.

It truely is embarassing to see the way your mob from the Coach down carry on every time a decision goes against you.

I don't like when Selwood or Danger or Hawkins bark at the umps after not getting a free and I think Scott could rein in his reactions but I think it's a bit silly to pretend Geelong are the only team with people who do this. From today's game I can count Roughy, Sicily, JOM and Mitchell among players who remonstrated with the umps at various points. As I say, I don't like it when it happens and I reckon all it will do is make the umps think less of you at the next contest but I reckon stating it as a Geelong-centric problem is a bit off. Am certain people will fly in and disagree though, which is their right.
i disagree but respect your right to your opinion.

giphy.gif

10 posts in and no gif?
Yep, it starts from the top down and seeps through and infects and affects the entire culture of the whole club. Coach and captain. They weren’t as bad under bomber. Danger wasn’t like that at the Crows. But it becomes part of the entire approach. It becomes an unstoppable habit, almost every contest, almost every decision, they appeal and sook to the umps like a bunch of crybabies. I’ve never seen anything like it in 40 years of watching footy.
And the worst thing about it is the umps regularly fall for it. Something must be done about it.

As a non neutral supporter today at the game I reached out to a few friends who support other clubs and asked if it was as bad on TV as it looked at the ground.. Sometimes it is easy to get woo'ed into the cries of BALLLLLL at the game, especially when sitting in a group of your own supporters. It just seemed to me like there were at least 8-10 situations where frees were either paid to or not paid against Cats.. I am not going to discuss Selwoods shoulder roll because Puopolo does it also (even though not as frequently). But as the OP suggests when they get the rub of the green from the umpires but are complaining constantly and appealing for frees it is not a good look!!

FWIW my friends all said that the Cats were favoured many many times today, other than one "mate" who replied "Freekickhawthorn"

I noticed that as soon as Dangerfield crossed back over the border and put on that ugly jumper, he started flopping around like a fish. Instantly.

He is now and will forever be referred to, by me, as Flopperfield.

It’s an embarrassment to the game and the Cats own it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread Geelong, the rest of the competition needs to have a conversation with you (whinge thread)....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back