Game Day Geelong v Collingwood at GMHBA stadium, 7.10pm Friday Night. Watch on Kayo, Fox or AFL/W apps

Remove this Banner Ad

Pride Round

Collingwood will welcome back star forward Chloe Molloy for their clash with the Cats after she was held out of last week's team due to health and safety protocols, but they've elected not to risk skipper Steph Chiocci, who will miss a second straight week with an achilles complaint.

Bella Smith has also been included in the squad, with Imogen Barnett (omitted) and Erica Fowler (concussion) the two omissions.

Meanwhile, the Cats have made five changes; they will be boosted by the return of Nina Morrison, Julia Crockett-Grills, Sophie Van De Heuvel and Georgie Rankin, who make their way into the team for Annabel Johnson (health and safety protocols), Chloe Scheer (managed), Danielle Higgins, Georgia Clarke and Laura Gardiner (all omitted).

Collingwood's strong defensive group will make life very hard for a Cats side that already finds it difficult to score. Geelong has kicked more than two goals just once in its last five matches, while the Pies have conceded the third-fewest points in the competition so far this season. Collingwood will apply pressure high up the field and suck the Cats into kicking long, high balls to the advantage of the Pies defence.

Geelong will be looking to break its losing streak at home. Winless in their last nine matches at home, the Cats will be taking on the side that they beat at the venue in their very first AFLW match. It will be imperative that they have someone playing an accountable role on Britt Bonnici, not necessarily a strict tagging role, but someone with the fitness to run with her as she looks to find space.

Watch it live on your computer/phone/ipad: https://www.womens.afl/match-centre/2022/3748/geel-v-coll

Team:

Stacey LivingstoneAlana Porter
Ruby SchleicherLauren ButlerSoph Casey
Sarah RoweJaimee LambertJordyn Allen
Aishling SheridanEliza JamesChloe Molloy
Sophie AlexanderSabrina Frederick
Alison DownieBrittany BonniciEbony O'Dea
Bella SmithEloise ChastonAliesha Newman
Mikala CannAmelia Velardo
Imogen BarnettAbbi Moloney

Last edited:
Any word on why better homes and gardens (7two) and rise of the planet of the apes (7mate) relegated this game to Kayo/Fox/app?

Usual “contractual obligations” I suspect but quite weak of the AFL to allow a marquee time slot for well supported clubs to not be on FTA.
Wasnt the BBL on?

Cats were well coached, manic and they got the matchups right. Good third quarter against the scoring end got us that one - we moved Molloy to defence (her 2 goals came when drifting forward from defence), Rowe and Allen lifted and although beaten in the ruck Downie had her best patch with some good follow up work. Liked James’ game she’s got pace, Sheridan and Cann keep getting better, O’Dea gave it back to the cats via pressure, Newman had flashes while Lambert & Bonnici continue to be top class mids.

Despite Montagna raving on and on about the cats standing up for Prespakis it was her who initiated the scuffle via a sling tackle on Lambert. Good of Lambert to not cop that and other magpie teammates to fly the flag.

Still below our best of 2022. No Sharni, Davey, and Covid-related interruptions and impacts can explain a lot of it.

But will take three out of three, and some comfort from knowing we can get better. To win when you’re down on form, and away from home, is a good effort.

I am still not convinced about Frederick.

I couldn't understand why she was so far up the field. I realise that her opponent may have dragged her up but even then she was not standing close to them.

We really need someone of her build to do well but I am yet to see what we saw in her.

Liked Bonnici and Lambert, they give their all every week and I am liking James.

We won but not convincingly as I thought Geelong really held us up and played really well the first half.

PlayerDKHBMHOTG.B
24 Sophie Alexander6512031.1
6 Jordyn Allen6512000.0
8 Brittany Bonnici1711620100.0
23 Lauren Butler12481050.0
25 Mikala Cann185133030.0
22 Sophie Casey9540040.0
32 Eloise Chaston7251020.0
30 Alison Downie124811820.0
1 Sabrina Frederick4040230.0
20 Eliza James12930011.1
13 Jaimee Lambert2212101090.0
12 Stacey Livingstone8622000.0
2 Chloe Molloy11923022.2
16 Aliesha Newman8620010.0
50 Ebony O'Dea9270050.0
9 Alana Porter9360030.0
7 Sarah Rowe13853030.0
18 Ruby Schleicher13582030.0
14 Aishling Sheridan11471011.0
19 Bella Smith4220110.0
5 Amelia Velardo6242010.0

Last edited:
continually impressed by o'dea's attack on the ball (and ball carrier) ..... get some miles in her legs and build her confidence by foot and she could be anything

quiet game by livingstone but thats not a bad thing ..... solid performer week in week out

good game by schleicher again but she has turned the ball over a couple of times in recent weeks (out of bounds)

probably the best back line in the game at the moment .... add brazill to the mix in coming weeks and we will hopefully see more rebound footy .... enjoying butlers development as well (her injury late last season really cost us in that prelim against brisbane)

agree with comments on frederick .... struggling to see what she adds to the team structure

rowe also needs to make better decisions when in traffic ... and by foot

is joanna lin injured?

continually impressed by o'dea's attack on the ball (and ball carrier) ..... get some miles in her legs and build her confidence by foot and she could be anything

quiet game by livingstone but thats not a bad thing ..... solid performer week in week out

good game by schleicher again but she has turned the ball over a couple of times in recent weeks (out of bounds)

probably the best back line in the game at the moment .... add brazill to the mix in coming weeks and we will hopefully see more rebound footy .... enjoying butlers development as well (her injury late last season really cost us in that prelim against brisbane)

agree with comments on frederick .... struggling to see what she adds to the team structure

rowe also needs to make better decisions when in traffic ... and by foot

is joanna lin injured?

Yes Lin, l believe had shoulder surgery, and won't play this season.....

I would be staggered if Frederick gets a game next week. Unfortunately she has looked a liability in the first few games.
Last night she was completely blitzed by her opponent, who Geelong used alot around the ground to move the ball forward.

Any word on why better homes and gardens (7two) and rise of the planet of the apes (7mate) relegated this game to Kayo/Fox/app?

Usual “contractual obligations” I suspect but quite weak of the AFL to allow a marquee time slot for well supported clubs to not be on FTA.
Outside of Round 1, I'm pretty sure Friday night is always a Fox/Kayo game. In AFLW Saturday night is the marquee match of the round.
I would be staggered if Frederick gets a game next week. Unfortunately she has looked a liability in the first few games.
Last night she was completely blitzed by her opponent, who Geelong used alot around the ground to move the ball forward.
Agreed, lets give Barnett another game or give Bella Smith more minutes on ground.

She is too slow, and isn't athletic to do anything when the ball hits the ground; so she needs to be able to mark a good with her size. Just making a contest doesn't work.

She is too slow, and isn't athletic to do anything when the ball hits the ground; so she needs to be able to mark a good with her size. Just making a contest doesn't work.
and She hardly takes a Mark.

No Wonder Richmond where happy to Trade Her

I’ve never expected a lot from Sabrina, and thought her inclusion in the team was structural. She takes a big defender, and should bring the ball down or at least help keep it up forward so our more canny forwards can capitalise. I thought she did a bit of that against the Saints last week, although they are a poor side.

As another poster said, she’s built like a fridge. So if she can’t run, or mark, then she can throw her weight around and make her presence felt.

Sabrina is also one of the original AFLW players. Six seasons in, and many are no longer playing. We can all see the difference in athleticism, skills and even body shapes, as the competition has matured.

She may be coming to the end of her career but I think she still has something to offer. This is also a challenge for the coach, to exploit what he can get out of her.

Marking should be her one strength. Use her body to take her ground, but seems she gets pushed under easily. The forward coach needs to do more work one on one with her.

The girls always seem to kick the ball to her. It wasn't working. Once we start playing top teams like freo next weekend, she could start to become a liability, or she needs to be better.

Well…that was downright horrible on so many levels.
Forwards lost countless contests and 1v1.
Why we continued to kick long was beyond me.

Talk about panic in the midfield!! Glad steve addressed it after the game. Just a hot potato and everyone made it someone else’s problem. good that it was acknowledged and we’ll do something about that I’m sure.

We were dominated in the contest (apart from the 3rd)…

Now the positives:

We won when we couldn’t play our brand. So that’s got to build confidence. We were classy when we needed to be and Strong when we needed to be.

EJ could have had 4….dropped a sitter in the goalsquare (how was the kick from Rowe btw!!).
EJ just needs to get some attitude and say “catch me”…she broke tackles everywhere but was already thinking she wouldn’t break them and was dishing off…if she just backed herself she’s going to be nigh on impossible to stop. Her follow up run and follow up contests were elite. She was still running hard at the end of the game, so has the tank. More confidence to just take it on and she could be an vital cog (hope Moy teaches her this as Moy takes it on better than anyone).

Moy added some class to the backline when we were under siege…welcome back and move on to next week!!

Ruck is a massive issue. Downie followed up well, but our mids just couldn’t get their hands on it.

Cann was great. Starting to show what she did in vflw this year in the middle. More of that!

O day….underrated!! Provided aggression and stopping power.

Rowe needs more of it. Disagree with earlier poster. Her decisions when in space are excellent. Her kicking off both feet is better than anyone in the game (in my opinion). She’s not built for inside game. So make sure she gets it on the outside. But suspect she is as shadowed last night to stop this. So will be interested to see how next week goes.

Ruby needs to go back to basics. Fumbles and her kicking was poor (unlike her).

Sheridan was clean (that pick up, spin and give to EJ was serious class).

Didn’t sight Allen. Needs to get involved more even when it’s not her night.
Alexander was our best tall. But even she missed a dolly (by her standards).

Next week against Freo will really tell
Where we are….I feel we are half a step below freo/ Melb/bris/adl….so let’s see how we go.

Anyway, good win and lots and lots for them to learn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outside of Round 1, I'm pretty sure Friday night is always a Fox/Kayo game. In AFLW Saturday night is the marquee match of the round.

Agreed, lets give Barnett another game or give Bella Smith more minutes on ground.
Right! I don’t get the logic of 7/AFL but thanks for the info!

"Good sides win" is a timeless expression that will always stand up in any season and for any generation. That style of football that Geelong brought on Friday we would have lost last year because we did in the Crows and Brissy beating us with better contested footy. I'm a glass half full kind of guy. I think that win actually sets up for the rest of the season.

I have a top 4 and of which 3 are left of centre. Unfortunately I could only watch via Telly so couldn't see the work rates or off the ball play etc.

Anyway ....

No 4. Elisa James!!! I mentioned it last week what an exciting prospect she is and no doubt the posters in the forum know it too. Just like the car, EJ is looking like she could be classic.

No 3. Bonnici passoniately addressing the players after the game. Losing a captain in team sport is f#$%ing tough and losing 2 captains is a potential team killer. Don't ever discount the importance of leadership on game day.

1643005810834.png

No 2. Back bone players. Porter has always been a fav but Sophie Casey is someone that is so important to the side structure that doesn't get mentioned. Cann probably the best game she's played (IMO) and O'Dea has well and truly cemented herside as such important cog. I can't wait to see how she goes against Bowsers. Also just a wee mention of Newman who lets face it has been a fringe player in the past but growing into a role. I'd even give a wildcard pitch hit in centre bounces behind the ball too because she's got one of the quickest steps in the side to break a line, and if not, is quick enough to lay a tackle. (just a thought).

No 1. (drum roll) The Coaching staff. Getting the girls up for a well deserved work woman like win. A few subtle changes here and there when needed like Molloy behind the ball the odd time late in a quarter or simple revving them up. I really do think that win establishes we are now confident in the contested game and if need be, grind a win out.

And Lastly .....

This will come off as facetious but I use it and I think someone else in the Team should use it too.

1643006966368.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Geelong v Collingwood at GMHBA stadium, 7.10pm Friday Night. Watch on Kayo, Fox or AFL/W apps

Remove this Banner Ad

Back