Preview Geelong v Melbourne Thu Jun 22 720 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he's complaining about the game being at KP, just the night of the week that it's being played

And over recent years since we've got the lights, I've heard plenty of Geelong fans complaining about week night matches in Geelong

I agree that the Thursday night is shit, i probably wont be able to go myself as i wont be able to leave work early enough to get down. But it's not like the club decides what night of the week to have the game, that's on the AFL. And if you are in Geelong then it isnt that much of an inconvenience, which is the whole point of having games at KP in the first place.

Ive heard some Geelong people complain that the noise from the crowd after we kick a goal interupts their reading/knitting time, if we do anything well it is having a whinge.

I think it's time to give Bowes an extended run in the midfield. We need something new there, and I thought that's what we got him for anyway. He did from memory, have a few decent games playing mid up at the GC so we should give him a go.
I'm very interested to learn/find out if the new fella Mitch Hardie is a better true midfielder than Bowes.

I don't love Bowes as a player or a mid... He still could be serviceable but I doubt he will be a difference maker.

I'm hoping Hardie is better as an inside mid.

He's kicked 6 goals in 4 games. Pointing out he's in bad form is not remotely absurd, it's accurate.
Except the original exchange was nothing about whether he's down on form - of course he is. It was about whether he had the heart or will to try, whether he has ever fronted up to a challenge or stood up when anything has not gone his way.

It is in fact scoreboard impact that he's lacking, as you pointed out, not that he doesn't give a stuff and is selfishly waiting on his team mates to give him cheap kicks.

Not to sound negative, but I'm really worried about this one, Melbourne's strength is their midfield, not exactly something we are excelling with at the moment, they get goals out of the midfield as well, we will need to keep a serious eye on Petracca and Fritsch who seems to get heaps of opportunities to score from what I've seen in the last couple of weeks.

The season is on the line, but now even Richmond has moved ahead of us on the ladder (we were ahead by 3 1/2 games only a few short weeks ago), we need to pull one out of the hat, or any sort of impact in finals will be beyond us.

Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Cameron said the Scott exchange was actually positive.

Accusations of laziness or softness - against the individual or the team - are the laziest intellectually that we see here. They are hunches fuelled by resentment and, i suppose, disappointment.

Do we really know that the team partied too hard, returned to training unfit, are satisfied with last year's triumph, and thus are coasting etc etc? No we don't. The fact is from time to time any team can appear to lack intensity for a quarter, half or entire game.

Yes. Because Cameron said so himself. Not unfit but he freely admitted not where they should have been.

Whilst Cameron's month hasn't been at his all time best to suggest those things is completely absurd.
Geel V Bulldogs : he kicks 2.1, 21 disposals and 3rd most metres gained by a Cat on the night.
Geel v GWS: he kicks 2.3, 17 disposals. 3rd highest ranked Cat on the night for points.
Geel V Freo: he kicks .04. Only 10 touches.

He gets more touches than our mids are getting. Our forwards are a direct reflection on how poor the mids have been.
Yeah it's about how I've seen it. Bulldogs game good.

GWS would've been good if he had his kicking boots on but he didn't and he's a forward - no mark down for effort, but "average" or just below is probably right.

Port and Freo games he was really poor, like Stewart, bizarrely. Ineffective Vs Tigers but got plenty of it up the ground.

We have a few more runners back so it's time for Cameron to really push his opponent to defend him between 70m out and the goal square. Find his kicking boots and then all of a sudden we have the most dangerous forward line in the comp again.

Just my 4 bobs worth on Cameron - seeing everyone else had a shot

Tremendous player - equal best and fairest in a flag winning year - and vital in winning that flag

If your rating Cameron to the best Centre Half Forwards ever - and similar type of players - well Royce Hart of Richmond was one of the great CHF - left foot kick like Cameron and very mobile and a goal kicker

So if judging a player using an elite scorecard then my only criticism of Cameron - is if he is at the true CHF position just against his opponent - both basically in a stationary mode - and there is random/kick to them - even if he has the front position - he can be pushed out of that contest too easily in my opinion and the ball then rebounds the other way very quickly

Sammy Newman played CHF - his final 3 years at Geel when in his 30s - and played extremely well- eg 5 goals against NM opposed to Ross Glendenning at Arden St one day . Not saying for one moment that Newman was anywhere near as good as a CHF - however that quick kick into CHF - Sammy would hold his ground a hell of alot better than Cameron does

As for the game Esava would be a big in - watching that 1st qtr of the Port game - at times Z Guthrie was opposed to Marshall who is a huge bloke - Esava just gives that backline the height and strength it needs

Im feeling optomistic about this game for some bizarre reason - 1st qtr against Port was utterly brilliant - i just get the feeling Geel might come out breathing fire - and they might sustain it this week - and 7-7 is a hell of alot better than 6-8

I'd be happy if they brought in Hardie and Dempsey. Dempsey could play on a wing and Hardie in the middle. Dangerfield is out and Bruhn should be out (if his shoulder keeps limiting him). Even consider Mullin in place of Bews, J Henry could make way for Stanley. Too many of our role players are not playing their roles, bring in some new cast members.

I'm very interested to learn/find out if the new fella Mitch Hardie is a better true midfielder than Bowes.

I don't love Bowes as a player or a mid... He still could be serviceable but I doubt he will be a difference maker.

I'm hoping Hardie is better as an inside mid.

Yeah Hardie is the other one I'd try if he's ready to go.

I was at Arden St the day Newman got 5 goals. Had he been fit for the finals in 67 we would have won the flag.

Agree with above post that Esava was badly missed v Port. The Dees are not so tall up forward but he would still be a good inclusion, together with Stanley, Ceglar, Knevitt, Bowes/Dempsey.

Ceglar comes in, if fit, as Stanley can't be expected to star first game back.

Hardie might get his chance.

The back line is the big conundrum - it's been rubbish all season more or less whoever we play.

Just my 4 bobs worth on Cameron - seeing everyone else had a shot

Tremendous player - equal best and fairest in a flag winning year - and vital in winning that flag

If your rating Cameron to the best Centre Half Forwards ever - and similar type of players - well Royce Hart of Richmond was one of the great CHF - left foot kick like Cameron and very mobile and a goal kicker

So if judging a player using an elite scorecard then my only criticism of Cameron - is if he is at the true CHF position just against his opponent - both basically in a stationary mode - and there is random/kick to them - even if he has the front position - he can be pushed out of that contest too easily in my opinion and the ball then rebounds the other way very quickly

Sammy Newman played CHF - his final 3 years at Geel when in his 30s - and played extremely well- eg 5 goals against NM opposed to Ross Glendenning at Arden St one day . Not saying for one moment that Newman was anywhere near as good as a CHF - however that quick kick into CHF - Sammy would hold his ground a hell of alot better than Cameron does

As for the game Esava would be a big in - watching that 1st qtr of the Port game - at times Z Guthrie was opposed to Marshall who is a huge bloke - Esava just gives that backline the height and strength it needs

Im feeling optomistic about this game for some bizarre reason - 1st qtr against Port was utterly brilliant - i just get the feeling Geel might come out breathing fire - and they might sustain it this week - and 7-7 is a hell of alot better than 6-8

Don't think Melbourne are that terrifying. Good team, but they've been up and down and a little like the Dogs (in a different way), their forward line can let them down. If they had a truly gun key forward they'd be much tougher. Don't see why this isn't winnable.

The thing is with Cameron is that he isn't a traditional key forward. He's more similar to Franklin at his peak, although I think he's a (much) better kick. He's not going to be taking massive pack marks, never has and shouldn't be expected to. Plus Hawkins is there for that. So his mobility is his true strength. Just needs to get more of it in dangerous positions.

I want Hardie in.

Not going to pretend I know his game to a tee, but just looks a like a guy who competes, and he's fit enough to handle the step up to AFL level.

With how thin we are right now, competitiveness even by itself is a welcome asset. Wouldn't mind giving Bowes a crack either, even if he's just a rotation.

Wish Clark and Willis hadn't had their injury troubles, as now would be the perfect time to blood some kids when we don't really have a choice...but not to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Henry to Fritsch
Bews to Pickett
SDK to Gawn/Grundy

Quell those forwards and we should get the job done.

We match up reasonably well in theory against their forward-line.

Don't think Melbourne are that terrifying. Good team, but they've been up and down and a little like the Dogs (in a different way), their forward line can let them down. If they had a truly gun key forward they'd be much tougher. Don't see why this isn't winnable.

The thing is with Cameron is that he isn't a traditional key forward. He's more similar to Franklin at his peak, although I think he's a (much) better kick. He's not going to be taking massive pack marks, never has and shouldn't be expected to. Plus Hawkins is there for that. So his mobility is his true strength. Just needs to get more of it in dangerous positions.
Bingo. They've destroyed the bottom 5 or so teams, had one really good performance against a top 6 team (vs Pies) and had a series of scrappy efforts vs the middle of the road sides - we are in that pack. Their defence is good but nowhere near the levels of performance seen in 2021, and their forward line is workmanlike with some handy small/medium types. They're gettable.

Stanley and Hardie should both come.
Danger and Bruhn out.

Knevitt sub instead of Bowes.

It’s a shame Parfitt isn’t playing well as he definitely loves a wet track at KP.

How does Mullin play in the wet?

S May - who will he pick up - probably Hawkins - i watched the Carl v Melb game 3-4 weeks ago and May absolutely killed Curnow

Melb guns Gawn Petracca Oliver Viney May Fritsch Pickett

Plus ive watched a few Melb games this year - and i think Neal -Bullen is an underated player - he moves well and is a decent kick

S May - who will he pick up - probably Hawkins - i watched the Carl v Melb game 3-4 weeks ago and May absolutely killed Curnow

Melb guns Gawn Petracca Oliver Viney May Fritsch Pickett

Plus ive watched a few Melb games this year - and i think Neal -Bullen is an underated player - he moves well and is a decent kick

Completely agree. I think Salem is the other one, another very good user of the ball, and when they play well Melbourne tend to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back