Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who are the GOATS?

• Selwood

Votes: 89 43.6%
  • Dusty

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Hawkins

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • J. Riewoldt

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • C.Scott

Votes: 61 29.9%
  • Hardwick

Votes: 58 28.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the interests of keeping your back and forth shite fights out of match threads so normal people can talk.

Keep it clean and above the shorts
Off topic rubbish clogging up match threads will be moved here, knock yourselves out.

homero-pelea-simpsons.gif

Last edited:
That just proves my point the discrepancy is massive. If you were premiers I guess it could make sense but f me you finished 6th.
I think you've confused yourself mate, you said we were a shit team in 2012 yet we still went 8-7 away from home. 6th sounds about right for a 53% away winning record. Based on that winning percentage if Geelong played every game away from home they still finish 8th

That’s valid but I also remember in 2017 us losing to you guys buy 20-30 points at GMHBA then smashing you guys 2 weeks later by like 50 in the QF at the MCG.

In addition to that the whole 2012-2021 period there was a big discrepancy between top 4 finishes and finals wins. It got to like 3-9 W/L at one point I think.

I’m not trying to have a go or anything they are legit observations that to me is why I can’t bring myself to say Geelong don’t have a massive advantage due to GMHBA.

taken under advisement: we prefer our opinion pieces from those who build a reasonable case.

Just funny how for 3 quarters of that QF we manufactured as many scores as you did then suddenly we couldn’t - what, did someone tell us at 3qt ‘guys the ground is a circle’ ????

Fmd

That’s valid but I also remember in 2017 us losing to you guys buy 20-30 points at GMHBA then smashing you guys 2 weeks later by like 50 in the QF at the MCG.

In addition to that the whole 2012-2021 period there was a big discrepancy between top 4 finishes and finals wins. It got to like 3-9 W/L at one point I think.

I’m not trying to have a go or anything they are legit observations that to me is why I can’t bring myself to say Geelong don’t have a massive advantage due to GMHBA.
Undoubtedly the cloak of invincibility (most from simply being a very strong team for so long) played a factor in the down seasons in between (2015 etc). But good sides were always able to win there.

Sydney at one stage had an excellent record there. GWS basically always have since they became competitive. Fremantle are another recent one. A lot of it is actually upstairs with sides mentalities and as the aura of invincibility falls we will see more results like we have 2023-2024, with so-so sides also picking up wins there.

Most side's finals records will be worse if those sides play their finals away from home. You are also now playing the best of the best. Often we weren't playing top 4 level teams in Geelong those years. We rarely play "big" Melbourne clubs there when they become finals contenders as one example. And the competition have simply had poor travelling interstate sides for many years, really since the days of West Coast/Sydney 2006 and before them Brisbane/Adelaide/Port. Whenever Hawthorn/Collingwood/Richmond/Carlton etc are top 4 level, how many games to interstate sides have they dropped at the G? It's the exact same thing.

Are you offering to be my mentor?

I'd rather salute the great man Dusty rather than receive a detailed coaching class in how to interpret your snide remarks.
There is nothing snide about it. I called out a troll in a tribute thread. How you can’t see that I don’t know. If you were serious about paying tribute maybe you should have called him out too… you know, be the change you want to see.

Edit: it appears the mods have recognised it as trolling, with them moving the troll’s contribution and subsequent discussion to this thread.

The straight boundary on the Moorabool st side makes it different to any other Aussie Rules Footy ground at the highest level.
Anither ground of exact dimensions would not be considered for future games, there’s no question about that.
That is an advantage in itself.

The Cameron Ling academy though, is a bloody great initiative and looks like it is helping to develop new players and in turn accelerate decisions on players with the “Preformance now” approach of the whole industry rather than the “he needs a couple of seasons in the Ressies” like it was 15-20 yrs ago.
Pretty impressive and a lot better than hiding talented 14yr olds out in lower divisions of the western districts like you used to do. 😏

Undoubtedly the cloak of invincibility (most from simply being a very strong team for so long) played a factor in the down seasons in between (2015 etc). But good sides were always able to win there.

Sydney at one stage had an excellent record there. GWS basically always have since they became competitive. Fremantle are another recent one. A lot of it is actually upstairs with sides mentalities and as the aura of invincibility falls we will see more results like we have 2023-2024, with so-so sides also picking up wins there.

Most side's finals records will be worse if those sides play their finals away from home. You are also now playing the best of the best. Often we weren't playing top 4 level teams in Geelong those years. We rarely play "big" Melbourne clubs there when they become finals contenders as one example. And the competition have simply had poor travelling interstate sides for many years, really since the days of West Coast/Sydney 2006 and before them Brisbane/Adelaide/Port. Whenever Hawthorn/Collingwood/Richmond/Carlton etc are top 4 level, how many games to interstate sides have they dropped at the G? It's the exact same thing.

That’s why I meantioned if you were premiers I could understand. Hawks and Tigers dynasty teams “only” had like an 80%+ MCG win rate during there whole run. And they were dynasty teams not a 6th place team.

Anyway it is what it is. No point arguing about it.

The advantage doesn’t disappear if you are shit. GMHBA just made you less shit.

Also I believe in the early 2010s after your flag you finished 6th but won 100% of your GMHBA games. There is something wrong there that doesn’t happen with other vic clubs and their home grounds I’m not sure about interstate but I doubt that too.

You would have to check out the calibre of opposition, there were periods where interstate clubs were quite low on the ladder and we generally play interstate teams down there

Last edited:
That’s why I meantioned if you were premiers I could understand. Hawks and Tigers dynasty teams “only” had like an 80%+ MCG win rate during there whole run. And they were dynasty teams not a 6th place team.

Anyway it is what it is. No point arguing about it.

Hawks and Tigers played co-tenants who were also strong teams at the MCG during their premiership runs. Of course they didn’t have 100 per cent records - and you are the one who likes to brag about the Tigers win streak there anyway aren’t you?

Can’t have it both ways.

There is nothing snide about it. I called out a troll in a tribute thread. How you can’t see that I don’t know. If you were serious about paying tribute maybe you should have called him out too… you know, be the change you want to see.

Edit: it appears the mods have recognised it as trolling, with them moving the troll’s contribution and subsequent discussion to this thread.
Can we get back to the tributes, anyway?

I'm not sure there's any player who'd rather have the ball inside or just outside 50 in a big final this century. Agreed?

Aaah yes our HOME final at your home ground

And we have to share that home ground with other tenants during the season negating our home ground advantage when we play them. Do you?
Is there another side based in Geelong?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The advantage doesn’t disappear if you are shit. GMHBA just made you less shit.

Also I believe in the early 2010s after your flag you finished 6th but won 100% of your GMHBA games. There is something wrong there that doesn’t happen with other vic clubs and their home grounds I’m not sure about interstate but I doubt that too.
I don’t know why you go on about GMHBA Stadium. It’s been the Cats’ home ground for almost 90 years and only since the Cats became a dominant team in H&A 2007 - has it become an issue for the likes of Richmond supporters who, incidentally, have only been slated to play there now you are no longer a contender.

We only get 9 games at GMHBA. No other club gets as few games at their home ground. With one rare exception we get no finals at our home ground despite every other club having that privilege if it is a home final for them.

You just need to find something to bitch about with Geelong.

What does any of this have to do with the fact that the game looks the way it does today because Geelong felt they were robbed of a glorious dynasty by the Tigers?

We all live with that every footy weekend now, STAND encouraging keepings-off low scoring affairs, etc. 50-60 scorelines after 2 hours of gameplay.

That's the most pressing issue.

It didn't have to be this way.

But it all comes back to Geelong vs Richmond 2017-2020

I don’t know why you go on about GMHBA Stadium. It’s been the Cats’ home ground for almost 90 years and only since the Cats became a dominant team in H&A 2007 - has it become an issue for the likes of Richmond supporters who, incidentally, have only been slated to play there now you are no longer a contender.

We only get 9 games at GMHBA. No other club gets as few games at their home ground. With one rare exception we get no finals at our home ground despite every other club having that privilege if it is a home final for them.

You just need to find something to bitch about with Geelong.

I point out my observations but it is what it is. Most people think you have the biggest home ground advantage in the game. Threads on BF have been made on it for a reason. I didn’t start this whole thing up.

And those 9 games are pure home ground advantages. That’s the difference, I hope you don’t think you are also disadvantaged in H&A as well because that would be funny.

I point out my observations but it is what it is. Most people think you have the biggest home ground advantage in the game. Threads on BF have been made on it for a reason. I didn’t start this whole thing up.

And those 9 games are pure home ground advantages. That’s the difference, I hope you don’t think you are also disadvantaged in H&A as well because that would be funny.

Most people thought the earth was the centre of the universe. Didn’t make them correct.
And you using the term ‘most people’ as though it is a scientific fact when it actually isn’t, and is a composite of your own emotional take, and the opinions of a few people on this site, and I’m guessing some other sites or social media you frequent, doesn’t make it so either.

What is a ‘fact’ is:
  • that all the grounds have different dimensions bar, from memory, Manuka and the MCG.
  • that we only play 9 games at home. The interstate sides play a minimum of 11 games against non-co tenants, on grounds that those teams play on once a year if they’re lucky.
  • the Melbourne teams have some home games neutralised but on the flip side have far more of them.

Try as you may have been for the best part of a few years now, this is not an argument you can win.

And

Most people thought the earth was the centre of the universe. Didn’t make them correct.
And you using the term ‘most people’ as though it is a scientific fact when it actually isn’t, and is a composite of your own emotional take, and the opinions of a few people on this site, and I’m guessing some other sites or social media you frequent, doesn’t make it so either.

What is a ‘fact’ is:
  • that all the grounds have different dimensions bar, from memory, Manuka and the MCG.
  • that we only play 9 games at home. The interstate sides play a minimum of 11 games against non-co tenants, on grounds that those teams play on once a year if they’re lucky.
  • the Melbourne teams have some home games neutralised but on the flip side have far more of them.

Try as you may have been for the best part of a few years now, this is not an argument you can win.

And

I don’t care really, makes the game and banter more fun with some variety.

I also have been around here that long so idk what you mean.

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Back