Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who are the GOATS?

• Selwood

Votes: 90 43.7%
  • Dusty

Votes: 120 58.3%
  • Hawkins

Votes: 72 35.0%
  • J. Riewoldt

Votes: 44 21.4%
  • C.Scott

Votes: 62 30.1%
  • Hardwick

Votes: 58 28.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the interests of keeping your back and forth shite fights out of match threads so normal people can talk.

Keep it clean and above the shorts
Off topic rubbish clogging up match threads will be moved here, knock yourselves out.

homero-pelea-simpsons.gif

Last edited:
But you found a gun last year in O Henry...who now looks like a gimp.

Before that Dekoning. Earlier this season Bruhn...

The world can't wait to see what Humphries and Dempsey produce when they also get worked out.

Dempsey might want to harden the **** up a bit, ranked outside the top 100 mids for hard ball gets in 2024.
Let's play a fill in the blanks game, it's a lot of fun!

Our example sentence:

'Despite finishing top 4, Geelong have unearthed some more exciting talented youngsters in Ollie Dempsey (rising star favourite) and Lawson Humphries'.

Now here's the part where you come in:

'Despite winning the wooden spoon and winning just two games for the season, Richmond have unearthed some equally exciting talented youngsters in ________________ & ________________.'
Why don't you want to play anymore? :sadv1:

Also Henry would be your best young forward and De Koning your best young defender.

On behalf of seventeen other clubs I would like to congratulate Richmond FC for winning two games for the entire season, having all your best players - even contracted ones - begging to leave, as well as having zero quality young talent to speak of whatsoever.

On behalf of everyone else I'd like to congratulate the Richmond FC for once again having ZERO representatives in the 22under22 team. That's the 3rd consecutive season.

In that time Geelong have had SDK (twice), Holmes and Dempsey selected. Two of them this year while the side is thereabouts in the top 4.

If Humphries had been given games in the first half of the season he would likely have been a 3rd for 2024 given his form: 17.6 disposals at 85.1% disposal efficiency, 6.8 marks and 4.9 intercepts per game - plus a Rising Star nomination.

Richmond are doing the right thing in gutting their list to get a stack of first round picks. Losing Bolton, Baker and Rioli will make their 23-28 year old cohort the weakest in the league but they will go nowhere while those players are still in their prime anyway.
Totally worth it ;)

AFL-GF-Score.jpeg

You keep banging on about ‘your lifetime’ as though we care. I wasn’t born for most of that so what the f**k does that matter to me? I’ve seen north win two flags and the last of them was a quarter of a century ago.

I’ve seen Richmond win 3 - and they were a mighty team. For the rest of my 35 years following the game they have won what, 2 finals? So what the hell do I care about what happened in the 70s, how does that have any impact on what is happening right now or in the last 20 years or so?

You carry these Everest sized chips on your shoulder about the most obscure things: how many points various clubs won finals by - who the f**k cares? Did they win them? Percentage in finals - wow, I bet it matters heaps to the players who featured in both the winning and losing teams on those days. Beating teams in finals in the rare moments that you make them. Well done for essentially only making finals every blue moon.

Your arguments and points of debate would carry so much more weight if you put your effort towards something meaningful.

What the hell do I care when you were born? I go by my lifetime, you go by what you want. In my lifetime:

Cats = North flags

Cats + North = Richmond flags

Ergo Cats = 1/2 Richmond flags.

Richmond wins 1 flag for every 2 finals lost. Clearly the best ratio in the competition.

Jeez Cats supporters antsy leading into the 2024 AFL Toyota Finals series. Anyone would think they were expecting a straight sets exit or something. :)

Let's see how all these under 23 superstars go when the whips are cracking.
"Ansty" = fact checking more inaccurate posts by yourself (see the Geelong games 22 and under list) and rationally comparing respective youth after you were the one thread bumping.

The fact that we can get finals matches into players relatively early into their careers is a plus. Development can be tricky in a team that struggles to win 5 games a year. We have evidence of that in recent seasons.

What the hell do I care when you were born? I go by my lifetime, you go by what you want. In my lifetime:

Cats = North flags

Cats + North = Richmond flags

Ergo Cats = 1/2 Richmond flags.

Richmond wins 1 flag for every 2 finals lost. Clearly the best ratio in the competition.

That’s great, it doesn’t give you more or bigger trophies though does it. It is the most bizarre thing to brag about. If you just bragged about the flags themselves I would absolutely get that, 100 per cent I would.

But there’s two teams who’ve won more than you in the recent memory of most people who seem to frequent this forum, three if you want to go back to the Eagles in the 90s, and for some reason you’d swear blind that they’ve achieved less because in the process they’ve made more finals series and ergo as a natural consequence lost more finals

That’s great, it doesn’t give you more or bigger trophies though does it. It is the most bizarre thing to brag about. If you just bragged about the flags themselves I would absolutely get that, 100 per cent I would.

But there’s two teams who’ve won more than you in the recent memory of most people who seem to frequent this forum, three if you want to go back to the Eagles in the 90s, and for some reason you’d swear blind that they’ve achieved less because in the process they’ve made more finals series and ergo as a natural consequence lost more finals
He's dragging you into another shit fight that is completely off topic. Best to not get sucked in and simply steer back on topic, which is Richmond and Geelong's current list management and future prospects.

Now you would swear from reading that PB that it is somehow a bad thing to be the club who is best at converting finals appearances into flags. :drunk:

Now you would swear from reading that PB that it is somehow a bad thing to be the club who is best at converting finals appearances into flags. :drunk:

Wouldn’t you rather just win more?

Who fares better? The punter who loses more bets but walks away with a bigger windfall or the punter who makes less bets and wins them all?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For real though youth/ordinary players (in any club) look better when they are winning even if it’s because the veterans like Cameron get them over the line.

This rebuilding on the run is a myth. You can top up on the run to stay competitive which Geelong has done. But it isn’t that same thing as a rebuild.

Rebuilding means you start from scratch again. Hence the name it’s not called “repairs on the run”. We’ve got a handful of players left from the 2017 flag and the coach/support staff have all essentially gone. That’s a rebuild.

Yes our current youth is terrible, it’s not cause Richmond did something disastrous. We haven’t had access to good picks because we were winning flags, that’s the way it’s designed.

I believe if all the trade rumors are true we will go into this draft with the biggest draft point capital since they gave GWS a heap when the entered the league. We will draft some guns this draft. This is why I believe we will start “properly” contending again before Geelong who will be thereabouts but not quite win it like 12-21

Wouldn’t you rather just win more?

Who fares better? The punter who loses more bets but walks away with a bigger windfall or the punter who makes less bets and wins them all?

Now you are talking my language PB.

In my world all that matters in the long run is what you have to show for efforts.

It just so happens in my lifetime the teams who are best at converting finals appearances into flags on a flag per losing final basis, also happen to be the teams with the most flags in that period. And Geelong isn't one of them. And this is exactly how it should be. Everyone knows you need to perform in finals to win anything. So the clubs who are best at doing that deserve the most titles.

In my world all that matters in the long run is what you have to show for efforts.

It just so happens in my lifetime the teams who are best at converting finals appearances into flags on a flag per losing final basis, also happen to be the teams with the most flags in that period. And Geelong isn't one of them. And this is exactly how it should be. Everyone knows you need to perform in finals to win anything. So the clubs who are best at doing that deserve the most titles.

In yours they are. In mine, they aren’t.

So I’m not too concerned about your ratio.

You forgot about dynasties and b2bs too. Richmond strike when the iron is hot.

You forgot about dynasties and b2bs too. Richmond strike when the iron is hot.

Tigers strike like yellow and black cobras when the iron is hot Cleany.

1724391785095.png

Cats strike like digruntled Builders Labourers Federation workers when it gets too hot in the kitchen.

1724391924879.png

Flags 1966-current:

Tigers 8 v Cats 4

Losing Finals from 1966-current:

Tigers 16 v Cats 43, so they lose 3 times as many finals, we win twice as many flags. :)

Just remember this too Cleany, from 1945 onwards(79 years)

Cats have lost 54 finals, Tigers have lost 17. And we have still won more flags than them, lol.

Cats have lost 8 Grand Finals in that time to Tigers, Eagles & Hawks x 2, Blues and Pies x 1. Richmond has lost 2, only to Carlton.

Well Cleany, at least they make it. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited by a moderator:
For real though youth/ordinary players (in any club) look better when they are winning even if it’s because the veterans like Cameron get them over the line.

This rebuilding on the run is a myth. You can top up on the run to stay competitive which Geelong has done. But it isn’t that same thing as a rebuild.

Rebuilding means you start from scratch again. Hence the name it’s not called “repairs on the run”. We’ve got a handful of players left from the 2017 flag and the coach/support staff have all essentially gone. That’s a rebuild.

Yes our current youth is terrible, it’s not cause Richmond did something disastrous. We haven’t had access to good picks because we were winning flags, that’s the way it’s designed.

I believe if all the trade rumors are true we will go into this draft with the biggest draft point capital since they gave GWS a heap when the entered the league. We will draft some guns this draft. This is why I believe we will start “properly” contending again before Geelong who will be thereabouts but not quite win it like 12-21
Look more carefully.

Cameron has had a so-so season that has veered closer to frustrating due to inaccuracy.

Stewart has run hot and cold compared to other years.

Dangerfield is just a burst player now - who plays about 60% of the seasons games, averaging 70% game time when he does get on the field.

None of the above 3 are even close to AA consideration.

The rest of the veterans have been average to sub par.

You're thinking of 2022. If our veterans played to their 2022 level we would be 1st or 2nd. A bunch of them are having some of the worst years of their career (completely normal when talking about 34 year olds).

Look more carefully.

Cameron has had a so-so season that has veered closer to frustrating due to inaccuracy.

Stewart has run hot and cold compared to other years.

Dangerfield is just a burst player now - who plays about 60% of the seasons games, averaging 70% game time when he does get on the field.

None of the above 3 are even close to AA consideration.

The rest of the veterans have been average to sub par.

You're thinking of 2022. If our veterans played to their 2022 level we would be 1st or 2nd. A bunch of them are having some of the worst years of their career (completely normal when talking about 34 year olds).

Cameron gave you a top 4 birth this year. Your “rebuilding on the run” wouldn’t even be considered a thing if you finished 5th. That’s just middle of the road.

Last year when you finished 12th nobody was hailing your “rebuilding on the run” where they.

So essentially Cameron by his own foot is enabling this “rebuilding on the run” talk to continue, most of your youth aren’t actually good and without Cameron you are a middle of the pack team. Pretty stock standard.

Hmmm… interesting flare up by Meteoric Rise. Cats might be the oldest team but could also be the premiership team in a little over a month. Might have been worth holding off.

Hmmm… interesting flare up by Meteoric Rise. Cats might be the oldest team but could also be the premiership team in a little over a month. Might have been worth holding off.

Cats will not win the flag in 2024. They are simply not good enough, and in fact nowhere near good enough. They would have to be the lowest rated side by player rating differential to win the flag since ratings began in 2012. Their differential is almost bang on AFL average. With barely any injuries to speak of. And that is with an unbelievably easy draw as well.

Form says no.

Tigers strike like yellow and black cobras when the iron is hot Cleany.

View attachment 2088554

Cats strike like digruntled Builders Labourers Federation workers when it gets too hot in the kitchen.

View attachment 2088563

Flags 1966-current:

Tigers 8 v Cats 4

Losing Finals from 1966-current:

Tigers 16 v Cats 43, so they lose 3 times as many finals, we win twice as many flags. :)

Just remember this too Cleany, from 1945 onwards(79 years)

Cats have lost 54 finals, Tigers have lost 17. And we have still won more flags than them, lol.

Cats have lost 8 Grand Finals in that time to Tigers, Eagles & Hawks x 2, Blues and Pies x 1. Richmond has lost 2, only to Carlton.

Well Cleany, at least they make it. :tearsofjoy:

We’ve also won 49 to the Tigers 31. Yeah when you are good you’re very good. When you are bad, you’re awful.

We won’t be winnng anything barring a few major calamities among the likes of Sydney or GWS who I think are the sides we are least equipped to beat but again, when we aren’t busy winning we will at least be throwing our hat in the ring.

Cats will not win the flag in 2024. They are simply not good enough, and in fact nowhere near good enough. They would have to be the lowest rated side by player rating differential to win the flag since ratings began in 2012. Their differential is almost bang on AFL average. With barely any injuries to speak of. And that is with an unbelievably easy draw as well.

Form says no.

Ratingz

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Back