Game Day Geelong vs Collingwood Practice Match @11AM

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing to write home about. Held up alright defensively considering how much ball they have had but outside of that one passage of play with Henry’s nice one handed mark we have not looked threatening at all

I don’t wanna go early on the team bashing, but how are we only 22 minutes into a practice game and somehow seem to have no forward line? lol. It was always going to be our biggest deficiency and I know the cats set up well regardless of what’s at stake, but it’s like they’ve got an extra 5 players in our forward 50

Grim signs. All the old issues seem to still exist. Slow ball movement apart from a couple of occasions, dominated at clearances, kicking long inside our 59 to unmanned cats players. Forward line looking like it’s non existent. Cats running rings around us when they have the ball, which is often.

This on the mark rule is garbage. Sier just had to stand at 50 while the player ran around him and kicked inside. The issue is they have to wait for the mug umpires to call play on.. Makes absolutely no sense. Kills me as a lifelong footy player/fan to watch that.
I wonder which team will be the first to sacrifice 5 metres and place a pseudo man on mark back further. Doing so completely eliminates the stand still restriction.

Q1 7 - 25
- Cats winning the clearances. Guthrie and Dangerfield carving us up. They are much busier around stoppages. We really miss DeGoey (and Adams)
- Our forward structure is poor. Move the ball forward and have nothing to kick to
- Their pressure is good and we are panicking when using the ball at times. By contrast, Cats are using the ball well and don't seem under pressure
- Full strength backline, but have been under the pump. Cameron and Hawkins are a potent duo to contest against

I wonder which team will be the first to sacrifice 5 metres and place a pseudo man on mark back further. Doing so completely eliminates the stand still restriction.
In the middle of the ground I would 100% do that. The 5m rule is also never used. Since that came in players have still blocked then man on the mark without umpires calling a thing. Too many rules.

Not going to read much into the result. During the week Sanderson said we were looking at 6 periods instead of 4 quarters and running the whole squad. That suggests we were looking at this game being more of a training run than a practice game. Conversely the cats obviously wanted 4 quarters and by extension more of a practice match than a training drill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DeGoey and Adams back in the middle will make a difference but the non existent forward line is a massive issue
teams have injuries. im sick of this cop out. our gameplan from what we're seeing here doesn't stack up.

all we do is chase tail all day

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Geelong vs Collingwood Practice Match @11AM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back