Game Day Geelong vs Gold Coast, Saturday 6th May, Metricon Stadium 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again we find ourselves heading North to meet the Abletts.

The enigma that was the Little Master has now slipped back the field a bit, been hurt, missed a bunch of game, had a slow one or two and then pulled a lazy 45 touches last week... and might be in the hoops next year. Thats a lot to Swallow - and he's back in the team for them too!

Safe to say the only thing that wont beat us up there tonight is Harley Bennell. Last time at Metricon he ripped us a new one with 6 of his best. Now the only he's ripping is fibers in his Gastrocnemius muscles.

The Suns a re a dangerous side in that they can be giant killers or scaredy cats - and after the way we performed last week V the Pies are entirely susceptible to getting done by both.

Will the hard tag go to Selwood again, does PFD have the ability to breath at all, can Stanley dominate anywhere, which Blitz will arrive today and is CS just taking the piss by flying all 3 emergencies up for the game.

It all remains to be seen, but its Gameday so fire up Cats fans and get around them... its gonna be a ripper.

And the Saints did us a SOLID taking care of GWS last night, so its up to us to consolidate ladder positions going into the following rounds. Nothing is won in May, but by geez you can make the back end of the year easier.

Go Catters!!

Last edited:

Kolo and May back in shores up Gold Coast's defence, which has struggled while depleted. Young Leslie will match up on the second tall target - so at least in theory, this is a match where Black/Stanley/Taylor could clunk a few. Their mid sized and smaller defenders are generally of an attacking rather than defensive mindset. Two things with that - (1) Cockatoo and Parsons' pressure will be vital in stopping their free running (Gold) coast to coast ball movement. (2) Menzel, Motlop and a resting Dangerfield could be very damaging if we move the ball quickly to them up there.

Will they go with a hard tag to Selwood? I'm thinking, although not to Greenwood levels, Barlow might be used in a more accountable role.

Main things I want to see are guys winning 1v1 battles (last week was awful in this regard - so fumbly), improved pressure and a return to fast ball movement. If the Cats play proactive and aggressive football they will win. The alternative will give Gold Coast a sniff, their young guys will run all over us and we'll be left chasing tail all night. I am confident of a relative bounce back and a not-always-convincing 3 goal victory.

Hoping we've improved a lot after last weeks performance, and we're going to have to in order to beat the Gold Coast over there. They seem like the type of team if you let them hang around for the majority of the day they'll be quite troublesome, but if we get out of the blocks early we should be able to hold them off. Tipping us to win, hoping it's by a lot, but I'd settle for a 1 point win if it comes to that. And this is the kind of game we usually lose.

North showed us the way to beat GC is to ignore Ablett. Should we follow?

Not ignore him but not put a tight tag on him. Make him accountable. In the Hawks game Langford was running with him for some of the first half and Ablett had poor possession under pressure. But Langford was also able to run off Ablett when Hawks had the ball.

Not ignore him but not put a tight tag on him. Make him accountable. In the Hawks game Langford was running with him for some of the first half and Ablett had poor possession under pressure. But Langford was also able to run off Ablett when Hawks had the ball.
Let's not try and emulate what the Hawks did yeah.

Stan The Caddy
I note in the previous thread you said this regarding the omitted / managed rule after I called it stupid.

It's not stupid at all. If you've named a player as managed then by definition they are not meant to be playing that wknd. You have the opportunity to name 3 emergencies for each game which is more than enough in case of a late injury or whatever the case may be.

It's just coaches trying to manipulate the rules, that's all.

My response.
Of course it's stupid. Just because we use one word on a team sheet it means you can't name a player as an emergency.

So I suggest that now we will never see the words 'managed', 'rested' on a Thursday.
And I note that a lot of supporters were disgruntled on Thursday as to why Menegola was 'omitted'.
And I've seen people complaining over the lack of club information regarding injuries.

Well guess what? The club now has no option but to give its supporters even less information.
Purely because of one stupid rule. Use the word omitted and you can name them as an emergency. Name them as managed and you can't. It's ridiculous.

And I just remembered something else. Bartel was talking about trigger clauses in contracts last week. He said that if you're 'managed' it counts towards your trigger clause. If you're 'omitted' it doesn't. Players are just going to love being omitted aren't they?

In fact, let's go a step further.
On an injury list let's just do this.

Player x - sore - no timeframe
Player z - foot - no timeframe

Why give any info at all? Scott has previously said they plan for opponents 3 weeks ahead. So obviously other teams do the same. So let's give them nothing. Why should we let them know a player won't be back in time? I'm sure lots of posters here will just love that lack of clarity to the supporters.

Last edited:

I wouldn't hard tag ablett I don't think anyone named in the Geelong squad really plays that role well anyway I would assume the role would go to guthrie if we did. The main feature last week was north won the game comfortably so selwood and Dangerfield will need to be on him and accountable. He is in his early 30's push him up and back hard then let him get his possessions back of centre.

I wouldn't hard tag ablett I don't think anyone named in the Geelong squad really plays that role well anyway I would assume the role would go to guthrie if we did. The main feature last week was north won the game comfortably so selwood and Dangerfield will need to be on him and accountable. He is in his early 30's push him up and back hard then let him get his possessions back of centre.

Scooter would have been best suited but maybe Bews could do it. I don't think Ablett would go with his match up if he pushed, more likely to start pointing to people to pick him up.

Scooter would have been best suited but maybe Bews could do it. I don't think Ablett would go with his match up if he pushed, more likely to start pointing to people to pick him up.

Most coaches will become very upset if your midfielder's won't follow his man up the field. Just let him run free through the middle while ablett stays a kick behind play.

Plus ablett's work rate on field you don't become a champion running one way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stan The Caddy
I note in the previous thread you said this regarding the omitted / managed rule after I called it stupid.

It's not stupid at all. If you've named a player as managed then by definition they are not meant to be playing that wknd. You have the opportunity to name 3 emergencies for each game which is more than enough in case of a late injury or whatever the case may be.

It's just coaches trying to manipulate the rules, that's all.

My response.
Of course it's stupid. Just because we use one word on a team sheet it means you can't name a player as an emergency.

So I suggest that now we will never see the words 'managed', 'rested' on a Thursday.
And I note that a lot of supporters were disgruntled on Thursday as to why Menegola was 'omitted'.
And I've seen people complaining over the lack of club information regarding injuries.

Well guess what? The club now has no option but to give its supporters even less information.
Purely because of one stupid rule. Use the word omitted and you can name them as an emergency. Name them as managed and you can't. It's ridiculous.

And I just remembered something else. Bartel was talking about trigger clauses in contracts last week. He said that if you're 'managed' it counts towards your trigger clause. If you're 'omitted' it doesn't. Players are just going to love being omitted aren't they?

In fact, let's go a step further.
On an injury list let's just do this.

Player x - sore - no timeframe
Player z - foot - no timeframe

Why give any info at all? Scott has previously said they plan for opponents 3 weeks ahead. So obviously other teams do the same. So let's give them nothing. Why should we let them know a player won't be back in time? I'm sure lots of posters here will just love that lack of clarity to the supporters.

Agree with Stan you get to name a squad of 25 players for a Saturday game. We have known for years you can't bring in anyone outside of the 25 without special AFL permission followed by a fine.

So "managed" "omitted" Geelong names the squad and you can't bring anyone in either way makes no difference.

So its really just Geelong that are not naming a genuine team. And have several players sore and with niggles and want to do late tests. And are making planning as difficult as possible to predict that changes. Chris Scott was also upset because Rodney ease called the afl to clarify decisions from the north game. # smokescreen

Generally you only have 1 travelling emergency that all club scouts pickup as soon as your at the airport or the VFL, SANFL, Wafl games are played.

It looks very much like we could have 1-2 players.

Hawkins, Danger both under clouds

Most coaches will become very upset if your midfielder's won't follow his man up the field. Just let him run free through the middle while ablett stays a kick behind play.

Plus ablett's work rate on field you don't become a champion running one way.

He's no longer that champion player. I watched his recent games against the Hawks, Carlton and Adelaide.

First half against the Hawks Langford pressured him into poor possessions and ran away from Ablett when Hawks had the ball.
Carlton - got around the field well and found the pill but no speed or intensity. Could not mark above his head or tackle players who were moving. His stats were boosted by cheap possessions in the D50.
Adelaide game - Ablett was lazy defensively and chased cheap possession offensively. He seagulled around the contested ball hoping for a team mate to handball to him.

It's possible some of his shortcomings have been due to poor motivation. I'm sure he will put in a big effort against us so I hope we have prepared for a champion performance but also hope it doesn't work out that way.

He's no longer that champion player. I watched his recent games against the Hawks, Carlton and Adelaide.

First half against the Hawks Langford pressured him into poor possessions and ran away from Ablett when Hawks had the ball.
Carlton - got around the field well and found the pill but no speed or intensity. Could not mark above his head or tackle players who were moving. His stats were boosted by cheap possessions in the D50.
Adelaide game - Ablett was lazy defensively and chased cheap possession offensively. He seagulled around the contested ball hoping for a team mate to handball to him.

It's possible some of his shortcomings have been due to poor motivation. I'm sure he will put in a big effort against us so I hope we have prepared for a champion performance but also hope it doesn't work out that way.

Which would be all the more reason to not tag him and run a Dangerfield or selwood on him. Because he will get hurt or free up another mid.

Never write off a champion though he still has gas in the tank evidenced by last week he has missed so much football recently it takes a while to get right and gold coast has struggled. He should be treated as if we are going to get his best Chris Scott does tag a bit so Guthrie wouldn't surprise.

But after last week it was clear to me our midfield wasn't accountable and that falls on your leaders to show the way.

Agree with Stan you get to name a squad of 25 players for a Saturday game. We have known for years you can't bring in anyone outside of the 25 without special AFL permission followed by a fine.

So "managed" "omitted" Geelong names the squad and you can't bring anyone in either way makes no difference.

So its really just Geelong that are not naming a genuine team. And have several players sore and with niggles and want to do late tests. And are making planning as difficult as possible to predict that changes. Chris Scott was also upset because Rodney ease called the afl to clarify decisions from the north game. # smokescreen

Generally you only have 1 travelling emergency that all club scouts pickup as soon as your at the airport or the VFL, SANFL, Wafl games are played.

It looks very much like we could have 1-2 players.

Hawkins, Danger both under clouds

Either you and stan are completely missing my point (and Chris Scotts) or I'm completely missing yours.
I'm not talking about outside the 25.

The point is that if you list them as managed they can't even be an emergency.
I'll give you a scenario. "It would be nice to manage Guthrie this week. But we might need him in case danger doesn't come up"

"Ok, well we can't list him as managed then. We will have to omit him and name him as an emergency"

Thereby giving supporters no clarity.

I maintain its stupid.

Are we still pretenders? First Giants and now Crows both having major off days. Shows that last week won't be as significant as some are making it imo. Crows and Giants still better but not as much daylight as people thought between us and the top 2. Premierships once again proven not to be won in May.

Are we still pretenders? First Giants and now Crows both having major off days. Shows that last week won't be as significant as some are making it imo. Crows and Giants still better but not as much daylight as people thought between us and the top 2. Premierships once again proven not to be won in May.

Premierships are not won in May. They can be won by any team in the top 8 in September, especially now that there is a bye for all teams before finals.

Some very strong teams preparing for a couple of tough games coming up. I wouldn't bet on any of them this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back