Preview Rd 23 Geelong V St Kilda Say Aug 17 2024 730 pm @ Deadpool Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

That was a great game, even though we lost.

The one that riles me up a lot more though is the qualifying final in 2010, when Lingy kicked the winning goal only for it to be disallowed because of a BS free kick paid against Moons. We lost pretty convincingly to Collingwood in the PF that year, so maybe they had our measure anyway, but I reckon the finals could have turned out quite differently if that one had gone the other way and we'd gotten a week off and then faced the Dogs in the PF.

"You've just lost us the game"

No 50 paid , imagine that now haha

How many times has Tuohy been "managed" this year? Why can't we just call it what it is: "omitted".
I’m sure the language in contracts is effected by elevation / demotion in terms of match payments.
Being dropped may mean one match payment (or none) the following week yet being managed may trigger a different clause.

Go Catters

Rohan sub to ease him back?
Kingy on KROCK podcast said that Rohan coins of played last week they just held him over one more week bc they could.. I’d expect him to go full game

Go Catters

That was a great game, even though we lost.

The one that riles me up a lot more though is the qualifying final in 2010, when Lingy kicked the winning goal only for it to be disallowed because of a BS free kick paid against Moons. We lost pretty convincingly to Collingwood in the PF that year, so maybe they had our measure anyway, but I reckon the finals could have turned out quite differently if that one had gone the other way and we'd gotten a week off and then faced the Dogs in the PF.
Ah yes, the massive dive from Gwilt.
Will never forget that. Pretty much everyone in the stadium thought it was a goal to Ling.

Rohan sub to ease him back?
If Lyon’s strategy is to stop Geelong, at all costs, Rohan’s wizardry is needed to break Saints’ dour, stifling defensive game.

We all realise this game is a must win for Geelong!

Perhaps Rohan is sub or managed next week?

Will be very interesting to see Lyon’s matchups + how Scott plans to nullify his dire defensive pressure.

In Lyon’s 13 completed coaching seasons, only once have his teams ranked any higher than seventh for points scored, while nine times his teams have been ranked top six for fewest points conceded.

It’s more important, it appears, for Lyon to stop opponents scoring, before his team scores freely in an open forward line.

A fit + firing Hawkins would be a huge asset.

This is an enormous opportunity for our forwards to vigorously attack Saints’ backline! To play in front of opponents - OHenry to mark every ball strongly + maybe lay a few tackles. Neale clunk those tenacious marks. Cameron, spend time in forward line. Lead out for marks, less long bombs. Our ‘Swarm’ of small forwards to snaffle the ball + kick sneaky goals.

FFS, kick accurately!
Goals 281
Behinds 221

Actually, quite excited to watch Stengle, Close, Dempsey, Mannagh, Miers, Holmes + Bowes play 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Obviously our MF must be in exemplary form. Danger’s return is phenomenal! May his hamstring remain strong + intact 🙏🏻

Stanley to play a repeat of last week!

Stopping now 😸

Discernibly, I’m preaching to the choir 😹

Knee surgery
Sad news for SDK, was hoping quadriceps training would stabilise that patella 😿

Edit:
Brett Johnson, 13/8/24
"Sam has been managing a knee injury, more particularly with his patella. He has had a minor procedure today and we expect him to miss one-to-two weeks.
“It is unfortunate for Sam, but he is ready to tackle his rebab head on. We look forward to seeing him back in the coming weeks.”
SDK needs to be given a break from injuries. Wishing Sam a full recovery + to return for our finals campaign this year.

1723759553910.jpeg

Last edited:
Tim Allen you say?

Tim Allen Power GIF by Laff
I don't think so Win....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game is huge in the context of finals and ladder position. I love the fact that we control our own destiny now. Win this one and we almost certainly finish top 4. Would be an amazing opportunity for all the youngsters to experience finals footy.
On the part I bolded - almost a 2004 vibe about it if we can get top 4. It's similar in that I don't truly think we are a good flag chance, but we have plenty of promising youngsters, and given the chance to play a couple of finals - that would be such great experience.

That prelim where we got so close against Brisbane that year - that showed them they were good enough.

Big difference with 2004 though is that this year, well, erm, all tems are kind of shit in a way.

Massive game. If we win, we just about lock in 2nd spot on the ladder and with a home final against an interstate team.

If we lose, we will likely finish 5th and have to play a Melbourne-based team (Hawthorn/Collingwood/Carlton) at the MCG with no second chance.

Saints have nothing to lose and play Marvel well.

Praying for a win and no major injuries 🤞

Go cats

Massive game. If we win, we just about lock in 2nd spot on the ladder and with a home final against an interstate team.

If we lose, we will likely finish 5th and have to play a Melbourne-based team (Hawthorn/Collingwood/Carlton) at the MCG with no second chance.

Saints have nothing to lose and play Marvel well.

Praying for a win and no major injuries 🤞

Go cats

A lot still needs to go our way to finish top 2. A win and we are locked into the 4 though

A lot still needs to go our way to finish top 2. A win and we are locked into the 4 though
Not completely within our control, you're right. But a very good chance of finishing second.

Port and GWS are both underdogs next week (according to betting markets), and even if they do both happen to win, we are still a chance of catching them on percentage given we play teams 14th and 16th on the ladder over the next 2 weeks.

All we can do is win, which is what our focus should be on. But finishing top 2 would be a huge bonus heading into finals and put us in a great position to have a crack at another flag.

Ah yes, the massive dive from Gwilt.
Will never forget that. Pretty much everyone in the stadium thought it was a goal to Ling.
Nah. That was a crap tackle. And if you can bother to find the footage you'll see that ling was trailing Goddard by a few metres. It was only the crap tackle that made the handball to Goddard miss and hit ling instead.

How many times has Tuohy been "managed" this year? Why can't we just call it what it is: "omitted".
Yeah but I don’t mind the strategy. Last year and won’t be in our team next year, so miss some games to be ready for his exit next year. Good managing of the list. Same with Stanley and Duncan…. We are accustomed to playing without them already.

Really looking forward to this game. Think we're going to learn a lot.
Absolutely.

If we can win this, we will become just about certainties for the double chance. Hence we will become (somewhat of) a legitimate contender for the flag.

If we lose, we may still finish high but will ultimately have next to no shot at doing anything in September. Saints are entirely ordinary and any loss to them here would completely expose our fake credentials to compete at the pointy end in 2024.

It really is that important. Get it done and we move on with some hope for the upcoming finals series. Drop this game and we're really just playing out time on the season and picking up a little finals experience for the youngsters along the way.

Given I see it as that binary, I'm actually far less stressed than I would normally be going into a game like this one. If we're good enough, we'll win and stay alive. If we lose, we were never going anywhere great this year and yet have somehow still managed to take the team forward with plenty of hope for the future.

Having said all that...

Just win, Geelong!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back