Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who are the GOATS?

• Selwood

Votes: 93 44.3%
  • Dusty

Votes: 122 58.1%
  • Hawkins

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • J. Riewoldt

Votes: 44 21.0%
  • C.Scott

Votes: 64 30.5%
  • Hardwick

Votes: 59 28.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the interests of keeping your back and forth shite fights out of match threads so normal people can talk.

Keep it clean and above the shorts
Off topic rubbish clogging up match threads will be moved here, knock yourselves out.

homero-pelea-simpsons.gif

Last edited:
Geelong can always catch up, Richmond can never be a foundation club of the league.
Can never be foundation club ❌
Won first flag before Geelong ✔️
Won more flags than Geelong ✔️

You seem to enjoy history, so here is some for you.

In short Geelong got an 11 year head start in the V/AFL, failed to win a flag before the Tigers joined the league and then watched on as the upstarts in Yellow and Black claimed a first flag before them in 1920. Richmond then embarrassed Geelong further by going B2B to have two flags before the Cats had even registered one.

It wasn’t until 1963 that the Cats could claim to have won more flags than the Tigers, with the tally at 6-5.

Lo and behold, come 1967 Richmond draw level by winning their sixth flag, defeating guess who… yes, Geelong by nine points. This was the start of one of football’s greatest dynasties, with the Tigers winning a further four flags up to 1980. At this point the head-to-head tally stood at 10-6.

Both teams then endured significant premiership droughts. Geelong would wait 44 years before winning three in quick succession to close to within one flag of the Tigers (10-9). However Richmond would respond, winning another three flags (including their third B2B triumphs) of their own.

Geelong have since won a 10th flag to now leave them languishing three behind Richmond’s, and it must be noted, one of the least successful foundation clubs.

Can never be foundation club ❌
Won first flag before Geelong ✔️
Won more flags than Geelong ✔️

You seem to enjoy history, so here is some for you.

In short Geelong got an 11 year head start in the V/AFL, failed to win a flag before the Tigers joined the league and then watched on as the upstarts in Yellow and Black claimed a first flag before them in 1920. Richmond then embarrassed Geelong further by going B2B to have two flags before the Cats had even registered one.

It wasn’t until 1963 that the Cats could claim to have won more flags than the Tigers, with the tally at 6-5.

Lo and behold, come 1967 Richmond draw level by winning their sixth flag, defeating guess who… yes, Geelong by nine points. This was the start of one of football’s greatest dynasties, with the Tigers winning a further four flags up to 1980. At this point the head-to-head tally stood at 10-6.

Both teams then endured significant premiership droughts. Geelong would wait 44 years before winning three in quick succession to close to within one flag of the Tigers (10-9). However Richmond would respond, winning another three flags (including their third B2B triumphs) of their own.

Geelong have since won a 10th flag to now leave them languishing three behind Richmond’s, and it must be noted, one of the least successful foundation clubs.

Geelong can still catch up. Richmond will never be a foundation club. Pretty simple concept really.

Geelong can still catch up. Richmond will never be a foundation club. Pretty simple concept really.
Yeah, you already mentioned. I’m curious… how is that an achievement?

Are the Tigers meant to bow down in deference (because 13 to 10 suggests they haven’t).

Is there some particular emotion were meant to feel?

Should Tigers everywhere feel the same about St Kilda, another of the least successful foundation clubs?

I don't follow the NRL. But my guess is by the time they were established, the Newcastle population already supported other teams.
Newcastle is an NRL mad city and the majority of people there are Knights fans.
It's not too dissimilar to Geelong being an AFL mad city and the majority of people there being Cats fans.

You say we're a powerhouse due to being a one team city that's AFL mad.
So why aren't the Knights an NRL powerhouse?

It's not too dissimilar to Geelong being an AFL mad city and the majority of people there being Cats fans.

The Knights were established in 1988. So I find it hard to believe a large percentage of the Newcastle population don't support other teams.

The Knights were established in 1988. So I find it hard to believe a large percentage of the Newcastle population don't support other teams.
The majority of the city are Knights fans, but there are a lot of people there who support other teams.
However, this isn't any different to Geelong where the majority support the Cats, but there are a lot of people there who support other teams.

If the Cats are a powerhouse solely because of geography and the one team town bubble environment, then the Knights should be a powerhouse too.

Yeah, you already mentioned. I’m curious… how is that an achievement?

Are the Tigers meant to bow down in deference (because 13 to 10 suggests they haven’t).

Is there some particular emotion were meant to feel?

Should Tigers everywhere feel the same about St Kilda, another of the least successful foundation clubs?
You should never really feel anyway about events that happened to your club before your lifetime.

If you are a really old Tigers supporter you can remember the good ol' days and then a few glorious years after 30 plus years in the abyss.

If you are a younger Tigers supporter you can remember a few glorious years after x amount of years in the abyss, then back to the abyss for however long this lasts.

It hasn't always ended in flags but it's been a fun ride for Geelong supporters the past 35 odd years. Supporting without hope for extended periods can't be fun. I'm sure we will go through it at some stage. '98 through '03 was a bit bland outside of getting some exciting kids through the door.

You should never really feel anyway about events that happened to your club before your lifetime.

If you are a really old Tigers supporter you can remember the good ol' days and then a few glorious years after 30 plus years in the abyss.

If you are a younger Tigers supporter you can remember a few glorious years after x amount of years in the abyss, then back to the abyss for however long this lasts.

It hasn't always ended in flags but it's been a fun ride for Geelong supporters the past 35 odd years. Supporting without hope for extended periods can't be fun. I'm sure we will go through it at some stage. '98 through '03 was a bit bland outside of getting some exciting kids through the door.
I’m just curious about how your fellow cat thinks being a foundation club is something special. Maybe you know. Or maybe you could let him know that “you should never really feel anyway about events that happened to your club before your lifetime”.

Thanks in advance.

The majority of the city are Knights fans, but there are a lot of people there who support other teams.
However, this isn't any different to Geelong where the majority support the Cats, but there are a lot of people there who support other teams.

If the Cats are a powerhouse solely because of geography and the one team town bubble environment, then the Knights should be a powerhouse too.

I don't believe that.

One side started in the competition from the start, and gave the population no time to support any other side.

The other joined in 1988, when the population supported other teams.
I don't think the Newcastle NRL population would be anywhere near 95% Knights supporters. Unlike Geelongs.

I’m just curious about how your fellow cat thinks being a foundation club is something special. Maybe you know. Or maybe you could let him know that “you should never really feel anyway about events that happened to your club before your lifetime”.

Thanks in advance.
I dunno.

How old football clubs are falls into the category of things I'd never bother trolling someone with (no matter how easy it is to rile them up) or respond to with an angry essay.

You're gonna have to sort this one out yourself. Policing things Geelong supporters say that annoy Richmond people is also not high up on my priority list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not surprising that the beneficiaries of corrupt cronyism are quick to dismiss and minimise the effect of manipulation, prejudice and bias that occurs when one club has obtained powerful position in so many Facets of the game.

Humans have an innate tendency to favour their own group over others.

Geelong are the only club that get to play games on their training ground... it's a huge leg up over the Melbourne based clubs, as none of us are able to play on our training grounds. We all have to play at MCG and Docklands stadiums! No one gets to train on those grounds!!

Cost of living is significantly higher in Melbourne.. compared to Geelong, so please explain how Geelong are at a disadvantage?? The league is already the GFL thanks to your cheerleaders in the media... and Gerard Whateley is the worst of them!

thumbs-up-conspiracy.gif

You thought the Cats were gonna be awfully uncompetitive this year.

What happened?

Something something cheat boutique ground that only they train at
It's really poor year with poor teams. You got in the top 4 due to your easy fixture and cheat ground and then you ran into easybeats Port.

It's really poor year with poor teams. You got in the top 4 due to your easy fixture and cheat ground and then you ran into easybeats Port.
FFS Aristotle, give up the garbage you spew against Geelong.

You’re becoming an even bigger embarrassment.

Geelong had double ups against 3 finalists. Then a double up against a 2023 finalist (St Kilda) and an expected 2024 finalist (Adelaide).

Geelong have a 4-3 record against the remaining 5 (best) teams in the comp.

Geelong have beaten Hawthorn at their home ground, Port Adelaide at their home ground and Brisbane at their home ground. We lost to GWS by a goal and Sydney by 5 goals during a bad streak in the middle of the season.

Geelong's winning record at the "cheat" ground is 6-3, while its winning record at away grounds is 10-5. Exactly the same winning percentage.

Geelong had double ups against 3 finalists. Then a double up against a 2023 finalist (St Kilda) and an expected 2024 finalist (Adelaide).

Geelong have a 4-3 record against the remaining 5 (best) teams in the comp.

Geelong have beaten Hawthorn at their home ground, Port Adelaide at their home ground and Brisbane at their home ground. We lost to GWS by a goal and Sydney by 5 goals during a bad streak in the middle of the season.

Geelong's winning record at the "cheat" ground is 6-3, while its winning record at away grounds is 10-5. Exactly the same winning percentage.
Fair call but I predict you'll lose the prelim by at least 5 goals. Bookmark it and get back to me.

Don't have house and land packages for players nor connections with Cotton On

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Geelong V Richmond - GO!

Back