General AFL Discussion #8 - Carlton Supporters ONLY !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Having a good laugh at how the media are overhyping Essendon's pretty ordinary list. However, they do have some good purpose-selected snipers. We've seen them take out their damaging opponents with "clumsy" tackles to get the upper hand on gameday. It's low-life tactics like these that define the Essendon Football Club. It's nice to be reminded of that from time to time. Looking forward to our next encounter.

:)

Having a good laugh at how the media are overhyping Essendon's pretty ordinary list. However, they do have some good purpose-selected snipers. We've seen them take out their damaging opponents with "clumsy" tackles to get the upper hand on gameday. It's low-life tactics like these that define the Essendon Football Club. It's nice to be reminded of that from time to time. Looking forward to our next encounter.

Martin and Cotchin better be ready for this dirty team.

There's little doubt Sniperdon will be targeting the Richmond mids early in the next game. Practising their "clumsy" tackle technique at training during the week no doubt. They got Carrazzo and almost got Murph in our last game. They also took out Priddis in the recent game with one of those "clumsy tackles". I guess that's one strategy if you have a talentless midfield.

didnt see any of the game as i was out drinking with mates but caught the last 5 mins..

did essendon take ou wce players?

Essendon are winning games playing a hard at the man and hard at the ball game plan. They have an under rated ruck in Bellchambers who wins the taps and knows how to kick a goal. They have an under rated big bodied extractor of the ball in Watson - who is supported by a couple of knuckle headed grafters who do their job week in week out. They have a champion athlete in Stanton who runs all day and a decent distributor in Heppel down back. They have a champion spoiler in Fletcher and an emerging couple of star forwards. They also have a super fast runners in Jetta and Zach - they are playing with confidence. Their game plan is based on stopping teh best from opposition and spreading fast with ball - pretty similar to our own game plan really.

No one told Essendon that they cant beat other teams because their list isnt as good as so called top tiered teams. Instead - what tehy have been working on is gettign bigger, stronger and faster - and playing teh same game that made Geelong a champion team in the first place- harder atteh ball and man.

So the recipe for success against Essendon? Same as any other team - just change the neames. Stop Watson winning so much ball. Tackle really hard every time, have elite run with players on Stanton and make sure Fletcher cant play loose man.

Carlton has every opportunity to demonstrate that we are as good at playing tough as anyone else - and better at the fancy stuff. So far we have failed to string together 4 winning quarters against any team prepared to go hard.

Our greatest enemy is players thinking other players will pull something special out when required. We also have a lot of relatively inexperienced players in terms of number of games played - a lot of people forget this.

Final 4 is a goal - not a given.

All that being said - IF we play to our best - I can see us matching and winning most games.

Only question is hardness - if we 'bring' that element to the game as we did against Collingwood - no one can match us up forward.

They targeted and took out Priddis with a concussion.

Hope we put in two players next time we play them with the sole aim of ensuring Watson and Stanton's seasons are over.
Anyone have a replay of this?
would like to see it coz you can nenver be sure if the carrazzo thing is making us see things that wherent really there.

So the recipe for success against Essendon? Same as any other team - just change the neames. Stop Watson winning so much ball. Tackle really hard every time, have elite run with players on Stanton and make sure Fletcher cant play loose man.

It certainly didn't help us having 4 injured players against Essendon before half time. But having said that, we were terrible that day and didn't deserve the 4 points.

This is how i'd line up against Essendon

Carrazzo - Watson. Pretty simple really, our best tagger runs with their best midfielder
Armfield - Stanton. Just tell Dang to lock down on Stanton and niggle him all day.

AJ has to play next time we play Essendon, and he can line up on either Davey or Jetta. Tuohy can play on the other one.

Hendo, Jamo and Laidler take Hurley, Laidler and resting ruckman.

But the main thing we have to do next time is beat them at the clearances. We were smashed there last time IIRC, and this must be addressed.

It certainly didn't help us having 4 injured players against Essendon before half time. But having said that, we were terrible that day and didn't deserve the 4 points.

This is how i'd line up against Essendon

Carrazzo - Watson. Pretty simple really, our best tagger runs with their best midfielder
Armfield - Stanton. Just tell Dang to lock down on Stanton and niggle him all day.

AJ has to play next time we play Essendon, and he can line up on either Davey or Jetta. Tuohy can play on the other one.

Hendo, Jamo and Laidler take Hurley, Laidler and resting ruckman.

But the main thing we have to do next time is beat them at the clearances. We were smashed there last time IIRC, and this must be addressed.

Actually we weren't smashed in the clearances as much as you would think. It just seemed that way for some reason, maybe because we were so dominant the week before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is ever weeks job right?

What is emerging this year is teams figuring out firstly how to win clearances against oppositon with better ruckmen and secondly how to win games - even if you dont win so called clearances..

I think if we look at 'clearances' - there are two types- clearances to advantage or clearances to no advantage.

Essendon arranged their midfield so that they:

1. Stopped first touch becoming clearance to advantage ; and
2. Loaded up forward area setting up rebound on turnover plays.

Effectively they stifled quick ball movement and nullified our so called superior ruck and midfield.

Why was this 'so' successful on the day?

I think that this is where our injuries took their toll.

Carrazzo meant that Watson had it much easier. Curnow added to that. Laidler meant that they could kick over our tiring and unstructured HB line and Yarron meant that we had no go to rebound option.

So I think two factors came into play on that day - one was their declaration - before the game " we have something ready for Carlton " this was the so called stack teh midfield game plan ; and
secondly it was the unexpected injury toll.

Essendon aren't easy beats anymore- if you are effectively 4 men down they have the fire power to hit the score board fast..( they destroyed WC in a 15 minutes)

Next time?

Next time all they will have is the same strategy - because that is all they have against all teh teams they are playing. Lets see how long Watson / Stanton et all - can keep it up for.

Not concerned about their boofhead taggers - everyoen is ready for that caper now.

They pinned Priddis's arms and then drove his head into the ground concussing him. Game over. Usually only one of Essendon's Hacky expendable types do this stuff, presumably just in case the MRP get involved. Think it was NLM this time. Low act, classic Essendon.

Settle down Peete, you're making the Bombers sound like as if they're Geelong of the past 5 years.

Let's just analyze their season a bit, very lucky to beat North, tight battle against Port, down against GC at 3 qtr time.

Then, they play us. We had a HUGE downer after being almost perfect the week before. I don't remember us playing that bad for quite some time, maybe the Dogs game last year.

They weren't fantastic against us, it was our very poor decision making and lack of effort/intensity that allowed them to dictate play. Couple that with the injuries, which were most defintely NOT the reason we lost but they did hurt our structure a bit. Now we played very poorly, yet we won the first qtr, capitulated in the 2nd, came out firing but stuffed up all of our work by missing set shots that we should never have missed, allowing them to take charge again in the second half of the third qtr, then we blew them apart in the last when we should've been stuffed.

Ok, great win for them but I do not approve of their dirty tactics, more on this later.

Then they play the Pies, both teams had 4 day breaks and Pies we way more undermanned than the Bombers were. Pies were in control for most of the match and in the end were lucky to win. Still undermanned Bombers lose to very undermanned Pies.

Then they thump Brisbane. WOW, top 4 certainties now.

Then they play the Eagles, down here with half their team out. Is it really any surprise that after Priddis was done the Bomber took control and smashed them? Take players the calibre of NicNat, Kennedy, Schofield, Selwood, Nicoski, LeCras and Priddis out of any team and they will get smashed against any quality side.

Now as for their tactics, they have now laid 2 very clumsy tackles on important opposition midfielders, injuring them. That is thug work and a dirty way to play. That is not tough hard at the ball footy that is piss weak shit. Cotchin and Martin will have to be alert to their bullshit tactics, but if one of those 2 gets injured from another clumsy act, then the AFL will have to step in and do something about it. We can't have the best players in the AFL getting injured because of that.

Now as for their tactics, they have now laid 2 very clumsy tackles on important opposition midfielders, injuring them. That is thug work and a dirty way to play. That is not tough hard at the ball footy that is piss weak shit. Cotchin and Martin will have to be alert to their bullshit tactics, but if one of those 2 gets injured from another clumsy act, then the AFL will have to step in and do something about it. We can't have the best players in the AFL getting injured because of that.

Mate, I completely agree with what you've written, had an argument about Lonergan yesterday actually. I said it was a shit act, Bummers supporter screams we're whinging, etc etc. When you tackle a bloke OUTSIDE the rules and he spends the next 8 weeks changing three nappies at a time with one arm, very very poor form. If Lonergan was half as hard as he thought he was, he would have found a way to tackle Carrots within the rules. If he gets injured then, so be it.

However, the last part I've bolded, nothing will happen, unless of course the incident involves the head (awaiting the MRP call on the Priddis tackle). As long as an in the back tackle that injures someone lies outside the scope of the tribunal system, we can't expect the AFL to do anything about shit like this.

I may come across like I am whinging. I disagree, I'm all for the hardness of the game, it's what sets it apart from many others, but when something occurs outside the rules and people get injured, I just can't accept it as part and parcel.

'Lonergan didn't intend to injure him.' Whatever, the fact is he did. The same defence would not exonerate him in other situations, I can't see why it should here.

There's nothing "tough" about the sniper acts the Bombers players are involved in recently. It's actually outright cowardly. Toughness is about attack on the footy rather than trying to injure a player when tackled who's unable to protect themselves. Mitch Robinson is toughness. He'll knock himself out along with opponents and team mates if they get in between him and the footy.

Mate, I completely agree with what you've written, had an argument about Lonergan yesterday actually. I said it was a shit act, Bummers supporter screams we're whinging, etc etc. When you tackle a bloke OUTSIDE the rules and he spends the next 8 weeks changing three nappies at a time with one arm, very very poor form. If Lonergan was half as hard as he thought he was, he would have found a way to tackle Carrots within the rules. If he gets injured then, so be it.

Did you happen to read the Carrazzo interview with Crawf in the HS? Carrots reckons the thug didn't even bother to call to see how he was. Now I know it is common courtesy for a player (even if it was totally accidental) to at least call the person he injured to see how they are going. He didn't call because he didn't give a stuff. What a POS and to think he was telling the twitter people to see a doctor, I think he's the one that needs to see a doctor if he has the idea of injuring people because he knows his team can't deal with them in a fair way.

However, the last part I've bolded, nothing will happen, unless of course the incident involves the head (awaiting the MRP call on the Priddis tackle). As long as an in the back tackle that injures someone lies outside the scope of the tribunal system, we can't expect the AFL to do anything about shit like this.

Well I don't think so, I reckon if the game's best players are getting injured from bullshit tactics, that hurts revenue because the better players put bums on seats and if they're all going to end up getting injured when they shouldn't be something will be done about it. Especially if you get two or three clubs complaining.

I may come across like I am whinging. I disagree, I'm all for the hardness of the game, it's what sets it apart from many others, but when something occurs outside the rules and people get injured, I just can't accept it as part and parcel.

It isn't whinging, you're perfectly within your right and it is an obvious thug act because it's happened twice now.

'Lonergan didn't intend to injure him.' Whatever, the fact is he did. The same defence would not exonerate him in other situations, I can't see why it should here.

Who says he didn't intend to injure him? Them, the all mighty honest Bombers? Lol I wouldn't believe them if I was paid to. They're obviously not going to come out and admit it because then they'd be in some real hot water. I'll just say it again, the bastard didn't bother to call Carrazzo, so that's not the way someone who "didn't intend to injure him" would respond. If he really didn't mean it, he would show a bit of remorse and call the guy to apologise for being a clumsy prick.

Did you happen to read the Carrazzo interview with Crawf in the HS?

This is what started the argument. My mate rang to give me shit about Carrots sooking, was all in good fun but did get a bit heated.

And what's worse is we were just so meek that day...we need to really hurt them next time. Just hunt them in packs with all the ruthlessness that was supposed to have been our mantra this year, Round 3 style.

Tanks: I am quite 'settled' - read my comments again - Essendon have built a game strategy around their strengths - and so far this year it has paid off for them. Looking forward, as I said - lets see how all teams react to this strategy...

It isn't revolutionary.

As for Lonergan and the other tough guy boofhead - these guys will get sorted in due course - what goes around comes around. It is obvious that Hocking for example often does not even look at the ball when he sets up his blocks and his tagging involves continual physical harassment as in elbows, punches, grabs, scrags and in the back bashing etc etc - umps letting him do this are the ones that deserve scrutiny - perhaps Carlton should put a tape together for our team to know - and send a copy to the AFL.

Perhaps each one should get set up during course of play for a good old fashioned 'clean-up hip and shoulder' - again not revolutionary stuff.

What bothered us all was the way we 'looked' like and played like - we were softer than Essendon on that day. I doubt it will happen again.

As for Essendon - nullify Watson and their game is largely over - they don't have the ammunition to stop our quality of attack for 4 quarters. So Isolate Watson - by tagging their taggers out and Essendon are back in the hanger.
As for Jetta and Davy being better than Betts and Gartlet - I am sure the boys have taken note.

Let's just analyze their season a bit, very lucky to beat North, tight battle against Port, down against GC at 3 qtr time.

Then, they play us. We had a HUGE downer after being almost perfect the week before. I don't remember us playing that bad for quite some time, maybe the Dogs game last year.

They weren't fantastic against us, it was our very poor decision making and lack of effort/intensity that allowed them to dictate play. Couple that with the injuries, which were most defintely NOT the reason we lost but they did hurt our structure a bit. Now we played very poorly, yet we won the first qtr, capitulated in the 2nd, came out firing but stuffed up all of our work by missing set shots that we should never have missed, allowing them to take charge again in the second half of the third qtr, then we blew them apart in the last when we should've been stuffed.

Ok, great win for them but I do not approve of their dirty tactics, more on this later.

Then they play the Pies, both teams had 4 day breaks and Pies we way more undermanned than the Bombers were. Pies were in control for most of the match and in the end were lucky to win. Still undermanned Bombers lose to very undermanned Pies.

Then they thump Brisbane. WOW, top 4 certainties now.

Then they play the Eagles, down here with half their team out. Is it really any surprise that after Priddis was done the Bomber took control and smashed them? Take players the calibre of NicNat, Kennedy, Schofield, Selwood, Nicoski, LeCras and Priddis out of any team and they will get smashed against any quality side.

Realistic assessment of their season so far which has been, particularly by the media (what a surprise), overrated.:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back