No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Mccartin injury is bloody scary.

It's in his best interest and the best interest of the AFL if he retires asap.
Didn't see it but I really hope Paddy is OK. He's done amazing to get back to the level he was destined for as a #1. Don't really like the Swines much but this is bad.

Mccartin injury is bloody scary.

It's in his best interest and the best interest of the AFL if he retires asap.
Saw the replay footage from several different angles and in slow motion. Still can't work out how he concussed himself. Imagine it was a fair dinkum hit.

Saw the replay footage from several different angles and in slow motion. Still can't work out how he concussed himself. Imagine it was a fair dinkum hit.
Insane that that should concuss him. Scary stuff. If he trips in the street, or falls from a ladder, bumps his head into a low hanging branch, he could be done for.

I still can't figure out what it was from...head seemed to very lightly touch the ground? Wonder if he copped a knock a tad earlier and they were delayed symptoms? Maybe it was a lot harder ground contact that what I'm seeing.

I still can't figure out what it was from...head seemed to very lightly touch the ground? Wonder if he copped a knock a tad earlier and they were delayed symptoms? Maybe it was a lot harder ground contact that what I'm seeing.
I remember seeing his face when he was on the bench and it did look a bit discoloured and most likely bruised but it was only a quick flash.

So it might have been harder than it looked but still shouldn’t have been nearly hard enough to do what it did.

Can't believe all the comments about Paddy McCartin.

He's doing what he loves. If I was him I'd would countine to play after this incident, like what's the worse that happens I get serious head trauma and die at a young age?

**** I've had a great life anyway, get play the sport I love and made heaps of grouse memories.

Why is everybody concerned about living a long monotonous life, live fast and die young campaigners. Everybody is eaten by maggots in the end, may as well do what you love 🤙🏼

Tell you what I’ve always thought Libba was an underrated player for the Doggies.

He has a very unusual running style (I’ve heard it described as idiosyncratic) but he’s one of those rare players that can win it in the pack yet also tuck it under his arm and scoot away with it.

He bloody well smashed us last year as well from memory.

I rate Libba as one of the top 5 inside kids in the comp. Severely undre-rated.

Was at the game. I'm pretty sure I saw him cop it high earlier in the passage of play. I reckon it was delayed.

He's doing what he loves. If I was him I'd would countine to play after this incident, like what's the worse that happens I get serious head trauma and die at a young age?

* I've had a great life anyway, get play the sport I love and made heaps of grouse memories.

Why is everybody concerned about living a long monotonous life, live fast and die young campaigners. Everybody is eaten by maggots in the end, may as well do what you love 🤙🏼
The worst certainly isn’t death. What he is risking is a lifetime of having a brain that no longer works for him.

So far from his concussions he’s suffered intense light sensitivity, horrendous headaches, sleep deprivation, dizzy spells and bouts of depression.

More head knocks could make these symptoms permanent for him. He’s also at a much greater risk for CTE which will most likely lead to dementia.

He is potentially signing himself up for a long life of need someone to feed, bathe and toilet him as his brain slowly deteriorates and he can barely remember who he is let alone where he is. As he slowly becomes a shell of himself.

I hope for his sake he stops playing no amount of enjoyment he gets from sport will make what’s potentially heading his way worth it. I hope he finds something in else in life that will give him joy. Because while it sucks to have the life you have led taken away he still has the rest of his life to live. And he should be doing everything in his power to make the most of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the hell is wrong with AFL YouTube or highlights.

They spoil the result in the title and thumbnail.

They were already doing it to the match highlights, but now noticing it for their "Last Two Minutes" too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230408_234101_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230408_234101_YouTube.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 47
The worst certainly isn’t death. What he is risking is a lifetime of having a brain that no longer works for him.

So far from his concussions he’s suffered intense light sensitivity, horrendous headaches, sleep deprivation, dizzy spells and bouts of depression.

More head knocks could make these symptoms permanent for him. He’s also at a much greater risk for CTE which will most likely lead to dementia.

He is potentially signing himself up for a long life of need someone to feed, bathe and toilet him as his brain slowly deteriorates and he can barely remember who he is let alone where he is. As he slowly becomes a shell of himself.

And... still nothing really in the way of being an AFL player. Bet ya ask him after his career and head injuries, he'd do it all again ever single opportunity.

Make the most of it now brother, ya body adapts to changes.

Probably your biggest worry in life is something superficial, **** as long as your having fun in the moment, you'll get on hey 🤣

Definitely still eligible. Only played 7 games last year.

Going to be hard to beat for the nomination this week. 27 touches, 19 contested, 2 goals, 2 GA’s and 4 contested marks.

Also had 5 tackles and 5 hit outs just to prove he can do it all.

There's no way anyone is topping that.

He's a beast. He's kicked 8 goals already, averaging 18 odd touches, 4 marks and 3 tackles.

And... still nothing really in the way of being an AFL player. Bet ya ask him after his career and head injuries, he'd do it all again ever single opportunity.

Probably your biggest worry in life is something superficial, * as long as your having fun in the moment, you'll get on hey 🤣
He's a shining beacon of a player who's gonna file a lawsuit against the AFL in 10 years.

* I've had a great life anyway, get play the sport I love and made heaps of grouse memories.

This is the sort of selfish naivety that a 20yr old would spout to their mates after getting caught doing 120kmh in a 60kmh zone.
No care about anyone else, not his parents, his partner, the effect it has on the game or community. Just all self.

Probably your biggest worry in life is something superficial, * as long as your having fun in the moment, you'll get on hey 🤣
Sorry dude, that's a shit take on living life as it isn't your own or your family's.

They will have to look after him, they've had to endure all the struggles he went through to get to this point again and with Brain trauma, it isn't going to get better, it doesn't adapt for the better, it deteriorates and your ability to function slowly degrades until, as H00t said, someone has to look after you every day, feed, bath and clean you.
I've seen it first hand and hope for Paddy's sake the AFL supports him and his family through this When the cliff comes though, everyday things like speaking and walking quickly finish and that 'having fun in the moment' take on life is gone.

This is the sort of selfish naivety that a 20yr old would spout to their mates after getting caught doing 120kmh in a 60kmh zone.
No care about anyone else, not his parents, his partner, the effect it has on the game or community. Just all self.
Poor analogy. If clubs are offering up to half a million $ to a year to a kid in their mid 20s who has spent their whole life wanting to do the thing they love, you’d be hard pressed to find many that wouldn’t want to take up that offer. It’s his absolute dream, and unlike speeding, the risk is physically on himself and he alone.

The clubs and the people around him including the AFL are the ones culpable here, not the kid. He should never been allowed to play.

Poor analogy. If clubs are offering up to half a million $ to a year to a kid in their mid 20s who has spent their whole life wanting to do the thing they love, you’d be hard pressed to find many that wouldn’t want to take up that offer. It’s his absolute dream, and unlike speeding, the risk is physically on himself and he alone.

The clubs and the people around him including the AFL are the ones culpable here, not the kid. He should never been allowed to play.
The risk isn’t on him alone. He may face the consequences of his action in the form of a weekly concussion and longer term, CTE, but his parents, his partner, his teammates, the code all have to deal with the fallout of yet another victim of concussion and the fallout of all that.

Looks like one hell of a sequence of events to me:

1. Paddy's arms just aren't protecting him. Left arm outstretched for the ball, right arm just weirdly is flat underneath him at the point of contact.

2. Looks like Paddy expected to land horizontally after he pitched forward for the ball, which would explain why his right arm isn't doing anything.

3. Paddy didn't expect the Port player to get underneath him, and I'm not suggesting anything nefarious, but the Port player makes a weird decision to briefly grab Paddy's thigh and it looks to me like Paddy is at least partially "tunnelled" from this, and is why he lands face first. At the point of impact, you can see Paddy's legs continue moving with momentum.

4. Paddy is a big lad, fair bit of mass about him. With no protection from his arms, and landing unexpectedly face first, with his own body mass adding to the contact, makes for a bigger than expected knock.

I don't think that contact would result in 99.999% of players being subbed out of a game though.

Paddy, the Swans and the AFL need to sit down in a room and figure something out. And Swans should explain why they offered the kid a contract when everyone knew of his history.

I haven’t posted this before. But six years ago now I was just living my life, studying with not a care in the world.

I come down with a cold that passes on quickly but leaves me with massive light-headedness every time I stand, brain fog and severe exhaustion.

Come to find out I’ve developed postural othostatic tachycardia syndrome (pots). Which means every time I stand up my heart rate jumps significantly.

I’m medicated to blunt the worst of the symptoms, but I still suffer from brain fog, can barely spend an hour or two outside the house before I become like a walking zombie. I have next to no energy and it’s a struggle to even sit at a computer to game. No chance of me working at all.

And I’d still take what I have over what is potentially in McCartin’s future. Chronic conditions suck. And if I were in Paddy shoes I’d be doing everything in my power to protect my health. It’s one of the most important yet fragile things.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back