No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe all the comments about Paddy McCartin.

He's doing what he loves. If I was him I'd would countine to play after this incident, like what's the worse that happens I get serious head trauma and die at a young age?

* I've had a great life anyway, get play the sport I love and made heaps of grouse memories.

Why is everybody concerned about living a long monotonous life, live fast and die young campaigners. Everybody is eaten by maggots in the end, may as well do what you love 🤙🏼
Yeah it’s only his brain ffs. Snowflakes everywhere

All the best to Paddy, horrible to see. On a brighter note, how good was seeing Mills’ reaction and then failure to block on the line, and even better - Florent going off

I haven’t posted this before. But six years ago now I was just living my life, studying with not a care in the world.

I come down with a cold that passes on quickly but leaves me with massive light-headedness every time I stand, brain fog and severe exhaustion.

Come to find out I’ve developed postural othostatic tachycardia syndrome (pots). Which means every time I stand up my heart rate jumps significantly.

I’m medicated to blunt the worst of the symptoms, but I still suffer from brain fog, can barely spend an hour or two outside the house before I become like a walking zombie. I have next to no energy and it’s a struggle to even sit at a computer to game. No chance of me working at all.

And I’d still take what I have over what is potentially in McCartin’s future. Chronic conditions suck. And if I were in Paddy shoes I’d be doing everything in my power to protect my health. It’s one of the most important yet fragile things.
Thanks for sharing.

Chronic long term conditions that cause pain and extreme suffering are not just debilitating for the individual but is a cost we all have to pay. I think we have to be very careful with the "he's living his best life" thing because football isn't everything and there are other phases of his life that will either be impacted forever or that he might not even see because of his playing days. Extreme caution needs to be exercised here

I haven’t posted this before. But six years ago now I was just living my life, studying with not a care in the world.

I come down with a cold that passes on quickly but leaves me with massive light-headedness every time I stand, brain fog and severe exhaustion.

Come to find out I’ve developed postural othostatic tachycardia syndrome (pots). Which means every time I stand up my heart rate jumps significantly.

I’m medicated to blunt the worst of the symptoms, but I still suffer from brain fog, can barely spend an hour or two outside the house before I become like a walking zombie. I have next to no energy and it’s a struggle to even sit at a computer to game. No chance of me working at all.

And I’d still take what I have over what is potentially in McCartin’s future. Chronic conditions suck. And if I were in Paddy shoes I’d be doing everything in my power to protect my health. It’s one of the most important yet fragile things.
Brave to share. I’m sure this little BF Hawks community joins me in wishing you all the best H00t.

Boy, it sure does feel good after you watch that

Wishing you all the best with everything you’re going through, mate.

Tigers remind me so much of us a few years ago.

Old, topped up, no future picks - makes it feel that bit more rewarding watching our young team play.
Before the tigers went on their trading campaign I thought they we’re in a good position to bring in some good young talent. However now it seems they have wasted picks on mids that will not take them to past glories. The player I feel will be wasted in that team is Bolton. I look forward to the year he becomes a free agent. He will be rolling in the $$$$.

Tigers remind me so much of us a few years ago.

Old, topped up, no future picks - makes it feel that bit more rewarding watching our young team play.
They’ve still unearthed Clarke, Gibcus and Sonsie in the last 12 months via the draft in 2021 and Bolton is still just 24. They’re doing ok.

POTS is a prick. new drugs are coming online all the time. Drugs affecting heart pump function was my field of research. There are many people working on drugs to help with POTS and other conditions affected by abnormal heart pump function.

I hope that for your sake, massive breakthroughs are just around the corner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’ve still unearthed Clarke, Gibcus and Sonsie in the last 12 months via the draft in 2021 and Bolton is still just 24. They’re doing ok.

Definitely not saying it’s terminal for them - but big questions over whether they’re just another team competing in the 8 or a team capable of winning the flag.

They’ve topped up the midfield (like we did), in the hope they could go again - but based on last night it’s clearly not good enough and they’re now stuck.

Add to that the fact Reiwoldt is done and Lynch is 30 and I personally don’t feel like it’s an enviable situation to be in.

Definitely not saying it’s terminal for them - but big questions over whether they’re just another team competing in the 8 or a team capable of winning the flag.

They’ve topped up the midfield (like we did), in the hope they could go again - but based on last night it’s clearly not good enough and they’re now stuck.

Add to that the fact Reiwoldt is done and Lynch is 30 and I personally don’t feel like it’s an enviable situation to be in.
I agree and reckon they are headed for a few middling mid-ladder years

Wow, who could have have foreseen that a guy with 9 concussions before retirement was inevitably going to be susceptible to more?

Ludicrous that he played again, he needs to stop.

CTE is a massive threat to him in the future...he is risking everything.

Hawthorn unearthed a lot of players after 2016. When the top is stripped away, you see the true colours

Wow, who could have have foreseen that a guy with 9 concussions before retirement was inevitably going to be susceptible to more?

Ludicrous that he played again, he needs to stop.

CTE is a massive threat to him in the future...he is risking everything.
Absolutely.

Daresay he had some in junior football too. Would be around 12 at least.

Seems like football is his world, would be a bit lost without its regularity to his life.

His family and friends need to take control.

Sonsie was first noticed playing for Box Hill in early 2021 - I remember watching a VFL livestream and the commentators were going ga-ga over him saying Hawthorn should have pick him up. He spent a big chunk of 2021 injured which may have influenced his draft position. He was touted to go top 20 for most of the year. I was following him in 2021 thinking the hawks would get him.

Sonsie went at 29 in the 2021 draft and we took Connor MacDonald at 28.

Apparently he went for the Tigers as a child so he got to his “dream” destination.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back