No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

The eye of the beholder, etc etc...

I thought Danger was trying his best to hold Walsh from hitting the ground too hard. I also concur with Jordan Lewis' take on 360 tonight that the ball, which was under Walsh's body, played a role in the whiplash motion of his head - in addition, may I add, to Newton's First Law of Motion.
Except all of this physics you are citing applied to Sicily's tackle on McLuggage, for which he got THREE WEEKS.

I went to the SOO at the G on Wednesday. 90000 sounded more like a 25000 AFL crowd.
Their game, as exciting as the build up was is a mere speck when compared to the spectacle of AFL.

Im sure game 3 in QLD will be a bit more spicy but we shouldn't worry what the rugby are up to as we already have the greatest game in the world by some margin.
I had the misfortune of doing my PhD in Sydney, one day St George was playing Canterbury and I thought "Oh NO!" The game just ended and I'm driving past the ground. I'm going to get stuck in the crowds, they'll close off lanes, etc. When I got to the lights at the intersection where the ground is located the entire crowd exiting my side of the ground crossed the road in a single light cycle. No police necessary, no traffic officers. Just like stopping at a set of lights outside a Woolworths. Most kids here in Brisbane are AFL fans not NRL.

Last edited:

I like the idea of the best vs the best.

Extended benches, unlimited rotations. Knock out any possibility of not accidental injuries.

The 2008 HOF Tribute match had some outstanding footy in it.

Could also just be players from teams not playing finals. Finals clubs not upset and still plenty of top quality players to choose from

Instead of state of origin, I could get behind a concept similar to the All-star games in the US

Two teams, selected and 'coached' by two legends of the game; the 'draft' could be televised too
Game can be as bruise free as you like with huge scores since the players are simply out there to have some fun and put on a show. Rotate the game each year in a different city, all proceeds made from the game go to a charity
Just do a ProBowl like the NFL. Have the game week before the GF and lose the break before the finals. Players in the GF are excluded and get to rest up for the big game.

Just do a ProBowl like the NFL. Have the game week before the GF and lose the break before the finals. Players in the GF are excluded and get to rest up for the big game.

There'd be less players able to contribute but the pre-finals bye would be the time to host it as teams would have been playing up until the week prior. By the time the GF rolls around most players from eliminated clubs would be out of match conditioning and likely overseas.

Instead of state of origin, I could get behind a concept similar to the All-star games in the US

Two teams, selected and 'coached' by two legends of the game; the 'draft' could be televised too
Game can be as bruise free as you like with huge scores since the players are simply out there to have some fun and put on a show. Rotate the game each year in a different city, all proceeds made from the game go to a charity
East vs west? With west being players from SA, NT, WA while East contains QLD, NSW, ACT, Victoria and Tasmania?

‘Most nervous bloke in the place’: Cloud over BT’s future at Seven​

Changes at Channel 7 with their head of sport getting sacked who was a big fan of BT's.
Also mention that Fox Footy's broadcast next year will have their own commentary team for 7's telecasted games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘Most nervous bloke in the place’: Cloud over BT’s future at Seven​

Changes at Channel 7 with their head of sport getting sacked who was a big fan of BT's.
Also mention that Fox Footy's broadcast next year will have their own commentary team for 7's telecasted games.

Surely 7 has done focus groups with people who aren't braindead dipshits which have determined that anyone with half a braincell would prefer to listen to callers like Nicholson, Huddo and Bennett than boorish campaigners like BT. Hopefully he, JB and Darcy all have their papers stamped.

Surely 7 has done focus groups with people who aren't braindead dipshits which have determined that anyone with half a braincell would prefer to listen to callers like Nicholson, Huddo and Bennett than boorish campaigners like BT. Hopefully he, JB and Darcy all have their papers stamped.
They would have to have seen all the negative feedback and you'd think with Fox doing commentary of their games next year they are going to have to lift their game with their broadcast - in particular with their commentators.
The sacking of Head of Sport is the first shot fired I reckon.

There'd be less players able to contribute but the pre-finals bye would be the time to host it as teams would have been playing up until the week prior. By the time the GF rolls around most players from eliminated clubs would be out of match conditioning and likely overseas.
All good points. I'm just trying to get the break moved to the week before grand final ;)

I don't care for the rivalry tbh, I want to see AFL origin more for the prospect of seeing the type of play that only a team full of stars can do.

I also feel like simpler and more open AFL games are better viewing, maybe something like a more competitive NBA all star game.

That said I am less interested in the idea given how poor key modern key forward stocks are.
We’re one of the few sports I can think of that doesn’t have some sort of opportunity for the best of the best to play together. It’s a real shame but part of the challenge with being an isolated code.

I don't care for the rivalry tbh, I want to see AFL origin more for the prospect of seeing the type of play that only a team full of stars can do.

I also feel like simpler and more open AFL games are better viewing, maybe something like a more competitive NBA all star game.

That said I am less interested in the idea given how poor key modern key forward stocks are.
GWS tried this for years.

We’re one of the few sports I can think of that doesn’t have some sort of opportunity for the best of the best to play together. It’s a real shame but part of the challenge with being an isolated code.

The European football comps don’t have an all-stars concept and don’t seem to struggle as a result. The majority of all-star games in the US, particularly the NBA, are nothing more than a gimmick rather than a meaningful contest. State of Origin in the NRL isn’t an all star concept either it’s just QLD v NSW and a fair proportion of players who have international allegiance are watching on.

If the sport wants to try anything again I would prefer the International Rules concept be revived. Again though - the players don’t seem to care so it is a bit of a non starter.

Credit to Port Adelaide for singing Never Tear us Apart at the start of the game and leaving it at that.....
Are you referring to the Cameron goal, and the Country Rd song going well into play after the ball was bounced?
How ridiculous was that, would have been hilarious if the Dees scored a quick goal to shut the crowd up.

The European football comps don’t have an all-stars concept and don’t seem to struggle as a result. The majority of all-star games in the US, particularly the NBA, are nothing more than a gimmick rather than a meaningful contest. State of Origin in the NRL isn’t an all star concept either it’s just QLD v NSW and a fair proportion of players who have international allegiance are watching on.

If the sport wants to try anything again I would prefer the International Rules concept be revived. Again though - the players don’t seem to care so it is a bit of a non starter.
They have national sides and competitions though that put the best of the best together. World Cup, Euros, etc.

I’m not necessarily advocating for an all star game either, it’s hard to really put these things together when they don’t have any real meaning. Just saying it’s a shame that you never get to see the best play in the one team.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back