No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't agree more.

I thought Danger did all he could under the circumstances to exhibit the requisite duty of care - and I say that as someone who, having arrived in Australia in 1990, dislikes the Cats more than the Bombers!

He lifted his legs to force his full weight on the moving players centre of gravity

You only see that when smaller players try to ****** bigger players e.g. chad Wingard

Danger is not a small player. It’s a manoeuvre which will have varying and potentially dangerous outcomes

He lifted his legs to force his full weight on the moving players centre of gravity

You only see that when smaller players try to ****** bigger players e.g. chad Wingard

Danger is not a small player. It’s a manoeuvre which will have varying and potentially dangerous outcomes
The eye of the beholder, etc etc...

I thought Danger was trying his best to hold Walsh from hitting the ground too hard. I also concur with Jordan Lewis' take on 360 tonight that the ball, which was under Walsh's body, played a role in the whiplash motion of his head - in addition, may I add, to Newton's First Law of Motion.

Herald Sun reporting that Collingwood are making a big play for Sydney's Logan McDonald who may be squeezed out due to salary cap pressure and in other news West Coast's Tom Barrass has catagorically hosed down speculation he will leave the Eagles and is keen to stay a one club player.

Last edited:
Herald Sun reporting that Collingwood are making a big play for Sydney's Logan McDonald who may be squeezed out due to salary cap pressure and in other news West Coast's Tom Barrass has catagorically hosed down speculation he will leave the Eagles and is keen to stay a one club player.

Does Sydney have a salary cap? Surely the cola and ambassadorial payments will come to the rescue

Does Sydney have a salary cap? Surely the cola and ambassadorial payments will come to the rescue
No doubt 😂 but I wonder what the salary cap increase will be and how much they can hold off until then. The game is continually shifting and growing to more monetary values & increases. This would benefit sides that wait rather than throwing money too soon. Especially teams with salary squeezes.

Not when Pies are the party on the other side.

In other news, the Harley Reid thread on Eagles board has this pic of Reid with his new Toyota
View attachment 2031179

Harley with the new Lux down at the Cott car park.
From The Age

Oh, what a feeling, Harley!
We know that Harley Reid is hard to miss.

The long, blond locks of hair; his big, cheeky grin; and, of course, his signature “don’t argue” move that has him labelled already as the second coming of Dustin Martin.

It turns out Harley hasn’t been difficult to spot on the streets of Perth.

It hasn’t been the fact that he’s been driving around in an old, beaten-up Toyota HiLux ute that has been giving him away, either.

It’s more that he was one of the few people in the state driving around with Victorian number plates.

Well, that was never going to last long. Once word reached head office at Toyota in Australia, the wheels were put in motion, literally.

Reid has been made an ambassador for Toyota, in Western Australia – something that only happens to a precious few.

We’re reliably informed that Reid’s old ute has been replaced by a brand-new, top-of-the-range HiLux GR Sport (worth more than $80,000).

Not when Pies are the party on the other side.

In other news, the Harley Reid thread on Eagles board has this pic of Reid with his new Toyota
The term “ambassador” related to anything AFL gives me PTSD

The term “ambassador” related to anything AFL gives me PTSD

They just took the keys away from Coniglio and shipped the ute to WA.

Like blokes in Perth need any more encouragement to buy unneccessarily hotted-up Hiluxes for carrying a pair of footy boots and half a dozen mouldy Brownes Choc Chill empties loose in the ute tray.

I hate Danger but fair enough that tackle gets thrown out, if a Hawks player laid a similar tackle I'd want the same outcome.
Although I agree with you, do you think that others would actually get the same outcome?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although I agree with you, do you think that others would actually get the same outcome?
I said in another comment, there's no amount of bad decisions against us that will make me happy with bad decisions in general. Irrespective of what Robbo might say on 360 or whatever else has been brought up, I don't think that should be a week and I'm happy for it not to be.

Given that last weekend Dylan Moore laid an even worse tackle (in relation to what has seen players suspended previously) and wasn't given a week for it, I can't see Danger's suspension being overturned as the case of an AFL "good guy" discount. The AFL's MRP handed down a week for Danger, they paid for representation to defend the suspension they gave, and they lost.

I said in another comment, there's no amount of bad decisions against us that will make me happy with bad decisions in general. Irrespective of what Robbo might say on 360 or whatever else has been brought up, I don't think that should be a week and I'm happy for it not to be.

Given that last weekend Dylan Moore laid an even worse tackle (in relation to what has seen players suspended previously) and wasn't given a week for it, I can't see Danger's suspension being overturned as the case of an AFL "good guy" discount. The AFL's MRP handed down a week for Danger, they paid for representation to defend the suspension they gave, and they lost.

And there is a very small chance that this represents a turning point for the AFL where they start to maturely judge the reasonable risk of actions instead of this absolutist path they had been going down which left no room for good judgment or moderation.

There is another possible angle...

Toyota in WA is not run by Toyota Aus . If Toyota Aus gave the car to him, I would be livid.

I wouldn't put it past the media to muck that up.
Hard to know who gave the car to him.

Article says that the news reach Head Office of Toyota in Australia & the wheels were put in motion, but he’s been made Toyota Ambassador for Toyota in WA.

Reads as if Toyota Australia made sure he got the car.

I see Origin last night at the MCG has the AFL discussing it again. Wish they’d just leave it be - the one disadvantage Aussie Rules has with being far more national than the NRL is that origin doesn’t work as well. QLD and NSW is a true, built up rivalry - it works because it’s two sides that despise each other. WA and SA love to beat Victoria but Victorians don’t seem to have the same return animosity. Then you add in The Allies which isn’t a state but basically a sundries column with a crap jumper. The crowd interest in origin died off because the rivalry wasn’t there. Just let it be.

I see Origin last night at the MCG has the AFL discussing it again. Wish they’d just leave it be - the one disadvantage Aussie Rules has with being far more national than the NRL is that origin doesn’t work as well. QLD and NSW is a true, built up rivalry - it works because it’s two sides that despise each other. WA and SA love to beat Victoria but Victorians don’t seem to have the same return animosity. Then you add in The Allies which isn’t a state but basically a sundries column with a crap jumper. The crowd interest in origin died off because the rivalry wasn’t there. Just let it be.

Rugby league is also such a simplistic game that the top players only need two practices to create the best games of the year. State of origin for the AFL is a significant step backwards in terms of sophistication of gameplay. The NRL state of origin squads would destroy nearly any proper NRL team in a game. An AFL state of origin side would only threaten the spoon contenders.

I wouldn’t know about Victoria not despising it. They have made exceptions to their rules before. Ie. Jim Stynes (Ireland) Jason Dunstall (Queensland) Darrin Pritchard (Tasmania) to play for Victoria in the past in order to win…

Rugby league is also such a simplistic game that the top players only need two practices to create the best games of the year. State of origin for the AFL is a significant step backwards in terms of sophistication of gameplay. The NRL state of origin squads would destroy nearly any proper NRL team in a game. An AFL state of origin side would only threaten the spoon contenders.

Take your overall point - but origin while it can be a spectacle still isn’t always the best game of the year despite likely being the highest rated. The NRL grand final last year was one of the best games I’ve seen in a long time. Also origin players are in camp for around a week and a half so there’s much more than 2 practice sessions.

I wouldn’t know about Victoria not despising it. They have made exceptions to their rules before. Ie. Jim Stynes (Ireland) Jason Dunstall (Queensland) Darrin Pritchard (Tasmania) to play for Victoria in the past in order to win…

More meant Victoria despising SA and WA in terms of a rivalry. I have no doubt that Victoria wanted to win origin games but the WA/SA animosity towards Victoria always felt more one way to me whereas QLD and NSW is a fairly fierce rivalry albeit much fiercer north of the border.

I don't care for the rivalry tbh, I want to see AFL origin more for the prospect of seeing the type of play that only a team full of stars can do.

I also feel like simpler and more open AFL games are better viewing, maybe something like a more competitive NBA all star game.

That said I am less interested in the idea given how poor key modern key forward stocks are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back