No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

This is sensationalist rubbish. The umps are more consistent and better coached than they’ve ever been. It’s the microscope of continuous coverage - there has always been and always will be 50/50 calls that can be justified either way, there will be errors too that are unavoidable in a high speed game.

i have a problem with some of the rules (e.g. the yeo one from a few weeks back where apparently taking possession of the ball on the ground is a trigger, but that’s not on the umps).

The recent talk of fast handballs / throws has been around for decades (remember the crow throws of the 90s). Listen to Ray last week on SEN - really tough for the umps, so hard to see and they need to be 100% sure or else they will look stupid. Impossible really.

The thing that I just cannot handle with the cats umpiring is that the cats train for this stuff. And it infuriates me that they get rewarded for it. It also infuriates me that Chris Scott is the biggest sook in the AFL when he is on the receiving end.

I hate Geelong. But luckily I hate Essendon more.

Another fuken equalisation measure, will the afl ever stop? Clubs have got to be sick of this and demand that they restrict equalisation to defined aspects of the industry and stop the ongoing meddling. At some point they need to have the competition based on equality and club success is based on merit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like the AFL are setting the groundwork to actively encourage North to relocate to the N.T. in some shape or form in the near future by giving them carte blanche to all Indigenous kids throughout the territory.
Northern Kangaroos sounds like an ok name.

Sounds like the AFL are setting the groundwork to actively encourage North to relocate to the N.T. in some shape or form in the near future by giving them carte blanche to all Indigenous kids throughout the territory.

Does the NT zone include the Tiwi Islands? That’s where the Rioli family drinks their magic water, right?

The report says it’s being considered to address an alarming drop off in indigenous players. Yeah, that will pump up the enthusiasm. Condemn all NT hopefuls to playing in the North system, the worst basket case of a club in the entire country.

Also, how far away are we from doing away with the draft all together and the AFL simply handing out players as they see fit? And from there, how long until the AFL declares a competitive interest in approving trade and FA transfers. And then mandating transfers for balance?

Draft numbers are way down, but players mist get longer on lists on average

Just wondering if the drop off in overall numbers is the same drop off of indigenous players, so not really a thing

It's been a while since I have posted anything, but I am astounded by the hee-haw around some of the decisions in the Essendon/Geelong game. Just watched AFL 360 (and here I am 14 hours behind) and to hear Brad Scott say that the AFL told him that the rushed behind ruling was an error left me flabbergasted. I thought watching it that it was clearly a free kick and it had been so since they changed the rule after our (carn'n the Hawks) 08 grannie. Some of those holding the ball decisions being debated, I thought with the new interpretation, were also correct decisions.

Certainly not worth the airtime or the debate (and yes sorry, I am contradicting myself by making this post).

It's been a while since I have posted anything, but I am astounded by the hee-haw around some of the decisions in the Essendon/Geelong game. Just watched AFL 360 (and here I am 14 hours behind) and to hear Brad Scott say that the AFL told him that the rushed behind ruling was an error left me flabbergasted. I thought watching it that it was clearly a free kick and it had been so since they changed the rule after our (carn'n the Hawks) 08 grannie. Some of those holding the ball decisions being debated, I thought with the new interpretation, were also correct decisions.

Certainly not worth the airtime or the debate (and yes sorry, I am contradicting myself by making this post).
If an opposition player is within 9m (goal square) of the goals then you can rush it with no penalty.

100%

i’m surprised the rushed behind was a confirmed mistake and there is so much grey in the HTB that you could argue either way.

I think this is confected outrage to create a week of talking points. I actually support the afl approach of not commenting directly going fwd, deal with it via umpire coaching and don’t feed the story.

I’d add that brad scott is out of line commenting publicly on the afl advice… i’d bet my last dollar it wasn’t as definitive as he makes out … and reinforces he and his brothers pattern of commenting on umpires inappropriately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back