Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Keeping up with my running and strength training program. Currently working towards a half marathon using an app called Runna. One long run, one easy run and one tempo and/or interval run a week, and two sessions weight training in the gym. Been keeping this up for 6 months now.

I've actually put on a couple of kilos over the last couple of months despite training hard. Not sure how much of this might be added muscle. I feel like I need to eat to fuel my runs. Had a blood test last week and got told my cholesterol is a little too high, so I'm cutting back on red meat and junk.

Hope my shoulder gets better soon. I don't think I have torn the rotator cuff because I can lift above my head without pain but any pressing movements like bench press or sleeping on it, aggravate it. Been almost 2 weeks just been doing certain exercises and lightly working on the other side and keeping protein as high as possible.

Hope my shoulder gets better soon. I don't think I have torn the rotator cuff because I can lift above my head without pain but any pressing movements like bench press or sleeping on it, aggravate it. Been almost 2 weeks just been doing certain exercises and lightly working on the other side and keeping protein as high as possible.

Does it feel any better if you use dumbbells/cables instead of a barbell for presses?

I had a rotator cuff strain and it was like this - I could do a full pull workout with zero discomfort at full strength, but couldn’t even do warm up pressing exercises on a push day due to the discomfort.

I got some prescription anti inflammatories from the doctor and it came good in not too long. They will likely send you for a scan to be sure, but they can tell by doing some basic movement tests if it is torn.

Jokes aside I don't mind the idea of crossfit at all just not for me.

I'm a bit of a weido that's quite disciplined with any training just alone but even I wouldn't mind getting involved in something like a Master's swimming club if I get back to Perth just to meet some people and get some goals to aim for.

Jokes aside I don't mind the idea of crossfit at all just not for me.

I'm a bit of a weido that's quite disciplined with any training just alone but even I wouldn't mind getting involved in something like a Master's swimming club if I get back to Perth just to meet some people and get some goals to aim for.
I've been toying with the idea of joining a Masters swim club to build my cardio for CrossFit. Cardio is my biggest weakness. My gymnastics movements are good and my strength is quite good. I just lack the engine at times.

I've been toying with the idea of joining a Masters swim club to build my cardio for CrossFit. Cardio is my biggest weakness. My gymnastics movements are good and my strength is quite good. I just lack the engine at times.
Its benefits definitely transfer well over to over things, even after just 1 week of it away with access to a pool since I have come back I have lifted and ran slightly better.

Extremely difficult to get injured as well, can keep doing if and doing it very well even as someone gets quite old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any readers out there - I thoroughly recommend the book Outlive by Dr Peter Attia. Especially check out chapter 12. Its on spotify.

Breaks down exactly what it takes from a science backed perspective to maximise life expectancy. Low intensity cardio, with bouts of very high VO2 max intensity, plus functional strength training are huge factors.

Any readers out there - I thoroughly recommend the book Outlive by Dr Peter Attia. Especially check out chapter 12. Its on spotify.

Breaks down exactly what it takes from a science backed perspective to maximise life expectancy. Low intensity cardio, with bouts of very high VO2 max intensity, plus functional strength training are huge factors.
Thanks for the recommendation, have ordered as sounds like a good read.

It's perfect timing as well - I was thinking the other day that i've been training pretty much the same way probably the last 15ish years. I'm post 45 now so prob need to revise as the aches and pains don't seem to go away as quick anymore. Sounds like this will give me a bunch to think about, not just my training but mental, emotional, etc etc

Thanks for the recommendation, have ordered as sounds like a good read.

It's perfect timing as well - I was thinking the other day that i've been training pretty much the same way probably the last 15ish years. I'm post 45 now so prob need to revise as the aches and pains don't seem to go away as quick anymore. Sounds like this will give me a bunch to think about, not just my training but mental, emotional, etc etc
Hope you enjoy it :thumbsu:

I'm getting keen to get the bike out and do some weekend rides. I still struggle to keep my heart rate down running even at a very low pace, but with cycling I find it easier to stay in that "zone 2" aerobic zone. Using an indoor bike anyway...

From experience how does the energy output of a run compare to a bike ride? Eg: whats the equivalent of a 10k run?

Ive seen about 4 or 5 videos from that bloke and about 90% of it is oversimplified shit. No idea how he has that many subs. Must just be missing all the good vids
I've worked in the industry for nearly 20 years..

You'd be amazed how this "oversimplified shit" is not known by the general population

Imo unless someone is at a more advanced stage fitness generally IS pretty simple. And I'd guess that 80+% of people that are in the gym don't even know much of the basic stuff at all.

Worst problem on YT is that there is so much competition now for clicks and views that a lot run out of ideas and just make up bs and fluff content to get noticed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back